IGNORED

Is it possible to get all the shiny discs out of my den?

and still get gapless playback?

I listen to a variety of rock and classical and gapped playback drives me nuts.

So far I have been frustrated with my efforts.

I have a Yamaha 3050 and it will play stereo flac from my DLNA server with no gaps. The Wall, Eye the Sky play back perfectly. Also that nice transition in Dreamboat Annie and Hilary Hahn.

The Yamaha also plays stereo DSF from a USB key. ( I forget if it will plays DSF from the net, I don't think it will)

I also have an Oppo 203. It plays multi DSF from USB but not DLNA. And the Oppo has terrible gaps and chops off the first second or so of music. American Pie become "long time ago..." instead of "A long, long time ago..." Once again, head/bang/brick wall.

Ideal Situation

Rip all SACDs to stereo and mchannel DSF using Oppo 103D as described in the SACD ripping thread.

Rip all DVD-As to to PCM using DVD rip methods describe here.

Convert all that to highest quality flac and play stereo thru Yamaha for casual background listening.

Play multi channel flac or DSF through magic device that plays them gaplessly and without chopping off the front.

Alternative

Keep mchannel SACDs in the listening room and play those on Oppo 103 when I want the surround experience.

I currently have Windows 10 media server, Oppo and Yamaha all running on hard wired switch together, so connectivity is not an issue. I just need magic box that plays DSF mchannel from files or network gaplessly without truncating.

Is there any "magic box" in the $500 range capable of doing what I want?

Oh, I'd like to be able to run it from my smart phone like the Yamaha MusicCast app.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Something like the Auralic Aries Mini or Bluesound Node 2 would handle everything (not sure if Bluesound does DSD). Gapless playback is pretty standard these days. Anything that cannot do gapless should be in the garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Something like the Auralic Aries Mini or Bluesound Node 2 would handle everything (not sure if Bluesound does DSD). Gapless playback is pretty standard these days. Anything that cannot do gapless should be in the garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

DLNA is the biggest culprit - I've never find a reliable playback chain using DLNA, and gapless is one of the big holes.

FWIW, I use Roon playing from a Mac Mini via HDMI to a Pioneer receiver for my speaker-based system. Plays back everything flawlessly (including gapless), PCM up to 192/24 at original resolution, DSD covered to PCM (receiver will not accept DSD via HDMI, unfortunately, only via DLNA). If I really get the urge to play back PCM over 192k or DSD in native format, I switch over to my USB-attached iFi Micro iDSD, which plays everything (I don't use it all the time because HDMI is just much more reliable).

My headphone system uses Roon > mRendu / LPS-1 > Geek Pulse DAC which, again, plays everything flawlessly.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system