IGNORED

DSD vs MQA

witchdoctor

My approach (almost complete) is to use the 2L recordings on Tidal and the 2l Testbench (where they overlap) for comparisons. Both sets will be run via various setups - MB Pro and Explorer2 DAC using Tidal APP and Audirvana (both software and hardware decoding), round 2 will add Woo Audio WA-8 to the mix; MB Pro and Mytek Brooklyn DAC + Woo Audio WA-8 or Taboo MKIII Amp using Tidal APP and Audirvana (both software and hardware decoding).

Will post my conclusion when completed. So far, I get the comments made around MQA being brighter with some more clarity, but to me it seems to lose warmth and tends to sound more digital.

Chris

Aurender N100H --> iPad Mini --> WireWorld Silver Starlight USB Cable -> Mytek 192 DSD DAC --> Decware TABOO MKIII --> Decware Interconnects -> Audeze LCD-X and Sennheiser HD800 -> Moon Audio Silver Dragon Balanced Headphone Cables

For goodness sake. No matter which format is chosen, the 'master' file's SQ will always determine the outcome. A comparison between DSD and MQA is folly.

Agreed, but don't you think that the 2L files from their site and Tidal shoudl be somewhat consistent? Even if they are not, the 2L testbench files include practically every format including MQA.

Aurender N100H --> iPad Mini --> WireWorld Silver Starlight USB Cable -> Mytek 192 DSD DAC --> Decware TABOO MKIII --> Decware Interconnects -> Audeze LCD-X and Sennheiser HD800 -> Moon Audio Silver Dragon Balanced Headphone Cables

For goodness sake. No matter which format is chosen, the 'master' file's SQ will always determine the outcome. A comparison between DSD and MQA is folly.

Or said another way, ones dac sweetspot will determine the outcome as well. My advice is to find good music and listen to it at your dacs best setting....with some weed or wine [emoji263][emoji485]

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I think I am going to do an MQA throwdown by purchasing The Doors in DSD

The Doors-The Doors-DSD Single Rate 28MHz64fs Download|Acoustic Sounds

and then comparing it to the same album in MQA via Tidal. Anyone have any suggestions for another way to compare DSD vs MQA?

You could just use software like HQPlayer or JRiver to convert whatever PCM of The Doors you already have. Like others are saying, your DAC will have a large influence on the outcome. Some "do" DSD as more of a "gotta have this feature" directive from the marketing dept...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

and then comparing it to the same album in MQA via Tidal. Anyone have any suggestions for another way to compare DSD vs MQA?

Comparing of the formats as itself is impossible by technical reasons (different hardware/software, different its mode, probably different mastering/mixing, what is master unknown).

MQA is PCM format. PCM and DSD may compared as:

1. PCM to DSD and both are compared as DSD,

2. DSD to PCM and both are compared as PCM.

But both conversions is lossy. So there compared quality conversion, not format as itself.

You may compare album+apparatus implementation only and buy what you like more.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Do you know if the Asus Xonar U7 decodes DSD natively or converts to PCM?

Those DSD masters sound drastically different to the other HD masters on HDatracks.

Who knows what the MQA was sourced from.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Agreed, but don't you think that the 2L files from their site and Tidal shoudl be somewhat consistent? Even if they are not, the 2L testbench files include practically every format including MQA.

Without the metadata advising what the provenance is, the listener still has no clue which files are which. 2L record natively in DXD, what they do from there, who knows.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I think your observation is spot on and I am going to table that comparison for now. I'll bet if you compared 5 different albums you would get 5 different results. The main thing is to just enjoy.

Do you know if the Asus Xonar U7 decodes DSD natively or converts to PCM?

The Xonar U7 upconverts to PCM, it is an external sound card connected to my PC through USB and then I connect the card via coax spdif to my processor. When I listen to DSD tracks I use the HDMI port on my PC straight to my processor (Marantz 7702) which is capable of decoding DSD tracks.

At least one 2L album (2L-038) has been remixed for MQA. One track from both versions is available in their test set. Who knows if they've done this with others as well and which versions Tidal carries.