IGNORED

Too Many MQA Threads On Here

r_w

MQA is of absolutely no interest to me whatsoever, but it is literally taking this place over.

Why can't there just be one place to talk/evangelise/moan about it, maybe it needs its own sub forum?

... just saying.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I agree. Everybody seems to be going mad over MQA everywhere on the net, when in reality it's a transitory format that'll be meaningless in 5 years time as internet bandwidth increases in general - I'm already sitting on an uncapped 1Gbps synchronous connection which means lossless streaming of any Hi-Res format only takes up a fraction of the bandwidth available to me. Also my phone gives me a consistent 50 - 100 Mbps (uncapped as well) depending on where I am, and that's a lot more than good enough for anything I'll listen to on the move.

The fact that it's a lossy format should be enough to put some of you hardcore guys straight off, especially as it increases noise if an unfettered MQA signal goes to a DAC, that does not support MQA, and there are a load of quality DACs that do not, and never will support MQA.

I applaud Meridian for coming up with a solution for Hi-Res streaming over lower bandwidth connections, but it came somewhat late in the day, and is likely to become unneeded before it's really taken off.

I, too, have absolutely no interest in the format for the above reasons.

MQA is of absolutely no interest to me whatsoever, but it is literally taking this place over.

Why can't there just be one place to talk/evangelise/moan about it, maybe it needs its own sub forum?

... just saying.

I agree that there needs to be some sort of category or header set up. I don't have an MQA DAC but it's easily a noticeable difference in sound quality even on my DAC. Like it or not, it is what it is. If they did what they claimed and cleaned up all the artifacts due to the original process, they have succeeded in giving a better sounding product, and easy to stream. I could care less about DRM or true lossless when it sounds this good. I didn't even buy anything new in the last year. So that's the excitement.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

I agree. Everybody seems to be going mad over MQA everywhere on the net, when in reality it's a transitory format that'll be meaningless in 5 years time as internet bandwidth increases in general - I'm already sitting on an uncapped 1Gbps synchronous connection which means lossless streaming of any Hi-Res format only takes up a fraction of the bandwidth available to me. Also my phone gives me a consistent 50 - 100 Mbps (uncapped as well) depending on where I am, and that's a lot more than good enough for anything I'll listen to on the move.

The fact that it's a lossy format should be enough to put some of you hardcore guys straight off, especially as it increases noise if an unfettered MQA signal goes to a DAC, that does not support MQA, and there are a load of quality DACs that do not, and never will support MQA.

I applaud Meridian for coming up with a solution for Hi-Res streaming over lower bandwidth connections, but it came somewhat late in the day, and is likely to become unneeded before it's really taken off.

I, too, have absolutely no interest in the format for the above reasons.

D'accord!!!

who really gives a rat's ass how many threads there are???

keep 'em coming they are more interesting than most others on this exalted site and our founder thinks mqa is a remarkable new product and maybe the best thing since white bread

just get over it and enjoy the commentary

keep 'em coming they are more interesting than most others on this exalted site and our founder thinks mqa is a remarkable new product and maybe the best thing since white bread

+1 Folks do have the choice to not open the thread. Things were feeling pretty stale and it's a bit of fresh air if you ask me.

David

A large number of threads on essentially the same topic simply hampers effective communication on the forum. It's difficult to follow each thread and contribute; it also means that if you want to include everyone you have to repeat yourself on multiple threads.

Personally, I wish Chris would combine a few of the threads and/or close some of them. A subforum is also a good idea.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

A large number of threads on essentially the same topic simply hampers effective communication on the forum. It's difficult to follow each thread and contribute; it also means that if you want to include everyone you have to repeat yourself on multiple threads.

Personally, I wish Chris would combine a few of the threads and/or close some of them. A subforum is also a good idea.

A subforum is a perfect idea

The Truth Is Out There

... just saying.

And you started another one. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

In an attempt to get them merged and/or moved to their own sub forum, this place is begining to drown in fragmented conversations about the same subject.

:-(

And you started another one. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

In an attempt to get them merged and/or moved to their own sub forum, this place is begining to drown in fragmented conversations about the same topic.

:-(

Absolutely agree with you, but you are trying to herd cats. :) I hope that at some point someone (Chris?) will write-up a complete analysis of the Tidal-MQA stuff: what are people actually listening to, what is the software decoding doing, etc. Right now there are so many unknowns. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the improved SQ people are hearing is actually just a result of going back to uncompressed masters and starting again. Since I do not stream, I am not interested in trying to read through all of these threads trying to put the pieces together but, like you, would like to know what the true story is without all of the emotion and drama.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

MQA always seems like an abbreviation for a mass transit authority...

Or maybe this : Model Quality Assurance (MQA) is automated and customizable SPICE model library validation software for advanced technologies. OR this ; Mississippi Quilt Association (MQA) members and Quilting Groups of Mississippi are invited to submit information about quilt events.

Regardless on every audio forum site its " a buzz" with forum experts adding their expert opinions. Ya like it or ya don't. Hard to tell who is in which corner these days,.

The Truth Is Out There

I have to admit to finding the MQA Spectrum Plots thread interesting.

... but pretty much everything else littered all over CA could have been discussed in max a few threads, certainly not more than 10 at a time (actually, searching thread titles only for MQA comes back with 211 threads).

A 'Codecs & Formats' sub forum makes sense to me.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

I have to admit to finding the MQA Spectrum Plots thread interesting.

... but pretty much everything else littered all over CA could have been discussed in max a few threads, certainly not more than 10 at a time (actually, searching thread titles only for MQA comes back with 211 threads).

A 'Codecs & Formats' sub forum makes sense to me.

"" MQA Spectrum Plots" that should get the BEST MQA thread Award.

The Truth Is Out There