IGNORED

Could Really Use Some Help With First Time Room Treatments

I think it depends on the type of speaker:

- Vandersteen makes great electrodynamic speakers and they (used to) tell you to fill the stands with lead shot or sand.

- Magnepan makes great ribbon and ribbonish speakers and they seem unconcerned with stands (tho tweakers are always buying giant steel frameworks for them)

You do not want any extra vibrations making the speaker move air. Only the electrical signal from the amp should be driving the speaker.

BTW, in the de Leon post above, I bet "small glass" means a mirror not a small glass of water

I did quite many systems set ups in different rooms so I'll say a couple of things from my experience.

What I'd propose is moving the books from from the side wall to the wall behind the sofa (wall hanging shelves.?). In my experience books are fantastic basic room treatment. And a cost effective one (provided you already have them). This will both improve stereo imaging (if there are above mentioned problems with it) and get things done as far as the basic back wall treatment is considered. I use the open bookshelves myself, they work really fine. One remark - if you move your listening position (sofa) away from the back wall (which BTW is ok for the sound) - bass will change so if your speakers placement is bass optimised you may need to change their position (mainly the distance from the front wall).

I'm pretty sure this simple change will change your room acoustics significantly and you will be satisfied with the result!

sphinxsix, thank very much for your thoughts on this!

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to move the bookshelves. While there are three floor to ceiling units filled with books (and it would be a LOT of work to move everything), the real issue is space. To place them behind the couch, given that the bookshelves themselves are about a foot deep, and then leaving space to access them, would require about 5 feet of space. That wouldn't allow room for the speakers to be placed between the listening area and the front wall. The sound tech worked out that the front of the speakers are ideally placed 43 inches from the front wall.

The two things I can most easily and cost effectively accomplish is to do something to cover the window on the speaker wall, and then add a large, or series of smaller acoustic panels on the wall behind the listening position. In your opinion does that make sense to try?

JC

REW can run on a desktop computer or laptop. Maybe there are similar solutions for iPads but I am not aware of any which are as powerful as REW.

The important thing here is to actually do the measurements and work from there. Working from hearing somebody else telling you what to do if the person knows what they're saying from experience can help a little, but this is not a substitute for an actual room diagnosis - the latter is necessary, it is a must for anyone. Borrow or buy a proper microphone if necessary.

Excellent advice. I finally got around to using REW and was amazed at how much I could impact the sound by moving speakers around just a few inches Before adding any room treatments, I would optimize my speaker position. Then you can see where you need help.

As others have said, each room is different but here my rule of thumb:

Bass traps in corners

Absorption at first reflection point

Absorption behind listening position

Absorption on ceiling

I try not to overdamp the room so I like to make sure there are lots of bare wall space and various bits of furniture around.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Excellent advice. I finally got around to using REW and was amazed at how much I could impact the sound by moving speakers around just a few inches Before adding any room treatments, I would optimize my speaker position. Then you can see where you need help.

I'm amazed, and very happy that someone offers software as good as REW for free. How did you handle the need for a microphone?The cheapest option I could find on their website was this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N4Q25R8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00N4Q25R8&linkCode=undefined&tag=roomeqwizar07-20&linkId=11cec2339d26c67de40e894f38f2fbd7

I don't really mind having to buy a microphone, but not having a laptop is making this difficult for me. And my desktop is two floors away, across the house and truly not movable. I'm working on potentially borrowing one.

JC

The two things I can most easily and cost effectively accomplish is to do something to cover the window on the speaker wall, and then add a large, or series of smaller acoustic panels on the wall behind the listening position. In your opinion does that make sense to try?

JC

Sure! A courtain should minimalize the window reflections quite fine. The thicker and heavier the better. As for the opposite wall I'd probably take special care of the area behind the listener's head.
I'm amazed, and very happy that someone offers software as good as REW for free. How did you handle the need for a microphone?The cheapest option I could find on their website was this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N4Q25R8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00N4Q25R8&linkCode=undefined&tag=roomeqwizar07-20&linkId=11cec2339d26c67de40e894f38f2fbd7

I don't really mind having to buy a microphone, but not having a laptop is making this difficult for me. And my desktop is two floors away, across the house and truly not movable. I'm working on potentially borrowing one.

JC

Thats the mic I bought and I think it works just fine.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I try not to overdamp the room so I like to make sure there are lots of bare wall space and various bits of furniture around.

That's absolutely right. I'll just copy and paste the story I posted on 'Metallica-Hardwired' thread some time ago :)

But there are musicians-audiophiles too. Just one story. Once I met a musician from a top band (kind of local Rolling Stones) to whom I sold a really good system (Utopias, DCS etc..) a couple of years earlier which sounded really great after we set it up in his 40+ sq.m. basement of the house specially designed listening room. Good room. He said - 'you gotta hear it, I have seriously taken care of room acoustics'. I couldn't refuse. I was really curious. I paid him a visit and we went downstairs. The serious care meant the guy covered practically every inch of the room walls and ceiling with thick damping acoustic panels. The room acoustics were so weird (overdumped, dead) that I couldn't recognize my own voice when I spoke. And I mean it. The music sounded horrible. Dead dull. Just one thing was fantastic but weird at the same time - the stereo imaging was pin-point sharp. But so extremely sharp that you could practically visualise a vocalist or an instrument accurately to 1mm. And it had a size of 1mm too.. All in all - the weirdest sound I've ever heard. And not cheap..