IGNORED

Article: CES 2017 - Nice Surprises

You can still purchase the CD, Hi Res version or album of Your Choice. No one is forcing anyone to do anything.

My fear is that record companies will eventually issue everything on MQA only, and they'll be no other version available. When Spencer Chrislu of MQA says "keeping the crown jewels" is an advantage of issuing music on MQA, it seems like they'd love for that to happen. Not me!

I'm definitely interested in the Poly to partner my Mojo, but there a few things I'd want to be clear on:

1. how will it interact with (say) BT and wifi enabled DAPs like Astell & Kern?

2. How secure is the physical connection? Surely just using the plug sockets can't be a great idea?

3. Will they release a revised case to enclose both together? Which would probably resolve my concerns re the physical connection.

All the best[br]Steve.[br]ALAC stored on Drobo FS > Intel iMac > iTunes/Spotify/Slimserver > Modded SB3 > NAD M2 Digital Amplifier -> Wilson Benesch A.C.T.

My fear is that record companies will eventually issue everything on MQA only, and they'll be no other version available. When Spencer Chrislu of MQA says "keeping the crown jewels" is an advantage of issuing music on MQA, it seems like they'd love for that to happen. Not me!

This has been my exact concern all along.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Waaaay to early for all this speculation from everyone. Couldn't, for example the record company figure out what MQA is doing to correct the process, do it themselves, and then redistribute the better version however they want (CD/Hi Res). The big advantage with MQA is the packaging and streaming. Take that away, and your left with the supposed better version due to correcting the A/D process. So if the record companies are smart, which there not, they could do this themselves and sell us there product. Now I'm just speculating :)

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Been playing around all day (as I worked through crappy chores) with MQA on Tidal via the app (both Mac and Windows) versus non MQA versions, and then comparing the MQA versions to red book and HD versions of the same albums. The DAC is an Exasound e22 and all the audio was going through the Exasound ASIO driver.

Comparing MQA versions of albums to non-MQA on Tidal, if there's a lot of voice, mid-range content, or the MQA version has been remixed significantly since the non-MQA, the MQA version stomped all over the non version. With the exception of rock stuff where the albums were mixed tightly to the top of loudness, which didn't sound any difference one way or the other. So... Joni Mitchell Blue? The MQA version was remixed 2016, and both my wife (who says she can't hear this stuff) and I could tell you how tall her chair was when she was playing. She was absolutely corporeal, compared to HD or red book.

A very telling example... Ray Charles and Milt Jackson's album. The MQA version vs the non-MQA Tidal stream, the saxophone was seriously better on MQA, but otherwise... I might have preferred the non-MQA. And then, late in the album, there's a short tom-tom solo from the drummer, and I'll be damned if that drummer didn't materialize right in front of us for that solo. Enough that our 3 dogs all went rigidly focused on the slightly right of center location. And then... meh.

So far... I'd be thrilled to stream MQA on Tidal vs non-MQA. Will make a difference for a significant number of albums, although not all. I would not be thrilled to buy MQA media where I own a 24/96 recently remixed or just plain awesomely mixed 16/44 before. It reminds me of what I've heard with the Blue Note jazz releases under Don Was' oversight, where almost every re-release sounds like a totally different recording than the 16/44 versions I own. God bless Rudy van Gelder. But a ton of other jazz re-releases are indistinguishable from the red book versions I already own.

So far, for rock and alternative... the difference is imperceptible. I've seen people raving about early Led Zeppelin MQA releases, and I'm going to check that tomorrow. But, with Bare Naked Ladies, Dream Theater, CSN... not so much.

I've ordered an Explorer 2 to see if having the DAC do the decoding changes my opinion. An energetic and curious puppy destroyed my old AudioQuest mobile USB DAC so I have free reign to order a replacement.

This report is one of the most cogent I've read in all of the hubub following this recent upgrade but the lingering question I have is how one can determine whether the song is MQA. No indication that I can find. Is there a light or screen indication?

Are we just assuming, generally, that the Masters series is MQA?

We might have been in the YG/Audionet - GTT - room at the same time. When they first put on the Archie Shepp, was it blaring loud by mistake and some guy was worried they blew the tweeter?

Everything was turned out fine, but I was wishing I had my camera snap a picture the instant it happened. Watching about 10 audiophiles grab their ears ( and one guy run out of the room) would have been an epic audiophile pic for a room that cost north of half million dollars.

This report is one of the most cogent I've read in all of the hubub following this recent upgrade but the lingering question I have is how one can determine whether the song is MQA. No indication that I can find. Is there a light or screen indication?

Are we just assuming, generally, that the Masters series is MQA?

At least with the player app, the only indication is that it is in the Masters section, as they say that everything there is MQA. Not sure about MQA enabled DACs though.

Not sure you are right about full MQA decoding being available in software, at least from Audirvana. Here is what MQA say:

". Audirvana Plus 3 (available end of January 2017) integrates the MQA Core Decoder, enabling to get the full MQA quality with MQA devices, including the renderer only ones. Users who don’t have a MQA capable device will also benefit from the 2x sample rate of MQA streams thanks to the decoder in Audirvana Plus 3 that performs the unfolding."

So to get "full MQA quality" from Audirvana you will need an MQA device or renderer, otherwise you just get a higher sample rate.

http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/our-partners/audirvana-partner-page

In theory you won't get the DAC-specific profile, but I don't see any reason that couldn't be replicated (or tuned) in software as well.

and as for

" Chord's John Franks talked about how important physical CDs are to people and that the Blu mk II was really to bring out the best in CD playback. He went on to say people should have CDs, collect them, pass them down to children etc... And, that it's his belief that the "downloading generation" is missing the tangible quality and that people like cd collections. CD is important to John and he made if very clear. "

he should really listen to his children! CD is a legacy medium. It is finished. Over. Done and dusted. History. The past. Gone. You can pass playlists down to your kids - or even better, ask your kids for their playlists! I hated my CD collection, stupid plastic cases, minuscule print in tiny booklets, impossible to browse. Good riddance! I'm as likely to buy this as I am to buy a wind up gramophone.

Develop a $10k+ CD transport and you too will change your tune :P

When Roon launches MQA decoding, does that mean that you could use your Microrendu and Berkeley DAC RS to take full advantage of Tidal's MQA offerings?

Or do you need an MQA capable DAC to take full advantage of Tidal's MQA streaming service?

If this is the future of music...god help us all. So we don't own anything and have to pay rent....monthly? And we won't burden our children with selling our music when we die? What a bunch of globalist propaganda. No thanks..

that is the future of the universe (up until heat death anyway)

all software makers are trying to push customers into a cloudy lease model

You need an MQA DAC to hear MQA at it's best.

I purchased the Meridian Prime headphone amplifier in 2014 without any idea at all about MQA at the time. I've enjoyed this DAC quite a bit playing high resolution files, but this week has been a HUGE revelation.

I upgraded the firmware in my Prime this week to get the MQA support, logged into Tidal to pick several of the available albums in their Masters section. Tidal recognized that I had a MQA compliant DAC and asked if I wanted to use the Prime as dedicated for playback. I confirmed and this was updated in the Tidal settings. Played a few test tracks and the "mystery" unlabeled blue led in the Prime turned on...

The result: I AM FLOORED! The sound quality is just unbelievable and I'm experiencing the best sound quality I've ever heard in my life in any system I've owned over the last 40 years! To net it out, the sound has a very natural texture and clarity and I'm enjoying albums in a brand new way. So far, I've listened to Rumors, all the Led Zepelin albums on Tidal, Two Against Nature (Steely Dan), Opeth's Pale Communion, Wilco's albums, Modern Jazz Quartet's albums, Aqualung, etc. I am floored of how much better all these albums sound compare to my high resolution and my SACD and DVD/A versions.

I HAD NO IDEA that listening to music could get this good! Loving it!

Home: Mac mini -> iTunes & Audirvana Plus -> Meridian Prime -> Ultrasone 8 headphones[br]On the road: iPad -> Seagate Wireless Plus + Media app -> CCK -> iFi iDSD -> Ultrasone 8 or Monster Turbine Pro Copper headphones

FYI, just posted up an evaluation of some of the MQA tracks vs. hi-res downloads mainly off HDtracks.

Bottom line is that the software decoding works as it should. The tracks I looked at were pretty much same mastering as you'd expect on places like HDtracks. The decoder is neutral to my ears.

I do wonder if using a better software upsampler and decoder may bring improvements.

Give it a try in any event. TIDAL trial is free for a month and this would be a great time to check out if MQA is worthwhile for you.

COMPARISON: TIDAL / MQA stream & high-resolution downloads; impressions & thoughts...

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I asked a very high end DAC manufacturer what it saw as the differences between hardware decoding in its DACs and software decoding in an app like Roon (before outputting to its DACs). The answer was a refreshing, "there should be no difference."

I predict many pages and pages of future threads debating this.

Likely purchase Poly for Mojo, but that's just baby step while waiting the long wait for streaming DSF/192kHz PCM library to audiophile grade, high-resolution capable wireless headset.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.