IGNORED

New Chord Blu mk 2 Announced

Q3QQC5Ezkei46DlENXBO7lfPYifjFizFiYl4jitmTrXJ7I804OwhYJQGb0WdrSq_DJRMNSfba2064jUyfKxjYaXZKikats8EIS1ASGdsaxTp3LKGZbxgljfw2v92hALkQ94SIaKRO8DIESmJaw

Chord Electronics redefines CD performance with

its new FPGA-based upscaling transport Blu MkII

New Blu MkII offers the world’s most advanced filter technology from its giant FPGA core

5th January 2017, CES, Las Vegas: Chord Electronics has set new standards for CD sound quality with its new Blu MkII, an upscaling CD transport which uses the very latest FPGA technology to implement advanced proprietary filtering and upscaling techniques £7,995

k7FY1wIUv0zQg1IirRV-oXvxlzA9jZsdhlJwS_w01dQ7QNWDb_Z7aJjf1fJ1MzkP9GNOfNavINgXW6hXJccb-j_bhmcUWEmHDLAbtr2L8XHp2eA70uOTETe_uyJ-6RhQ6O5BaC6QophwlFAjYQ

Known for its world-class amplifiers and its class-leading FPGA-based (Field Programmable Gate Array) DACs, Chord Electronics has implemented the latest FPGA technology into a next-generation CD transport. The new Blu MkII, which will replace the original Blu, incorporates a powerful new FPGA core with extraordinary capability.

Chord Electronics’ Digital Consultant, Rob Watts, has harnessed the power of the new Xilinx XC7A200T FPGA, which has a standout 740 DSP cores, to develop sophisticated WTA (Watts Transient Alignment) filtering and upscaling algorithms which can output digital data at 705.6kHz (16 x CD’s 44.1kHz native resolution). When partnered with the critically acclaimed DAVE DAC/preamp, with its 705.6kHz-capable digital inputs, the Blu MkII sets a new technical benchmark for CD performance, while redefining sound quality from the medium.

55tBlL35mvkpO1H598SAAvhY3DrP3y26v3dapzXrxZuWKTCLXqCM5FFBKOCou7vQCW7BktC6BiLklvwyM6BoNHx6wcF-wsFxdlGDtnsYE5QvQTdTAs1iJqAAsn_ca97H9H2SurqmfCBmSGbdug

At the heart of the Blu MkII, lies Rob Watts’ new WTA M-Scaler technology, which incorporates the most advanced filter of its kind in the world. Rob Watts has developed completely new filter architecture for the Blu MkII, to ensure maximum memory efficiency and to allow the FPGA to run with sufficient speed.

The enormous processing power of the Xilinx XC7A200T FPGA has enabled a key breakthrough in tap-length (the technical indicator of how complex the interpolation filter is). To perfectly reconstruct an analogue signal, an infinite tap-length filter is required. The original Chord DAC 64 (1999) had 1,024 taps; Hugo (2013) 26,000 and DAVE (2015) 164,000. Each successive increase in tap-length, together with continuous improvements to the WTA algorithm, has given significantly better sound quality.

OyAAQJlOIHSqBb3kmnA_MCrUY4-39uilYiFOqwQQMFWcK7UtZcLLIA4jS5CHYThOgnfT9iI4rxPUgYZCxa0UoJ92pcGHPXmDbo0NTTTrJMeiVbPKl49lPPpIZPZRHOvHdFG5mr0Gu8XZgN4eXA

The new Blu MkII offers an incredible 1,015,808 taps! This remarkable capability takes transient accuracy to a completely unprecedented level: it becomes simpler to perceive the leading edge of transient notes, creating a life-like sound-field. Bass definition is massively improved, with greater ability to follow the tune. Sound-staging, instrument separation and focus are also noticeably better, along with vastly improved variation in instrument timbre.

Blu MkII with DAVE: the world’s most advanced CD playback system

The Xilinx XC7A200T consumes an enormous 10 amps of current, so it couldn’t be implemented in DAVE as the sheer amount of current could upset DAVE’s comprehensive signal-processing. The engineering solution was to isolate this new FPGA and employ an external scaler — Blu MkII has (RF-isolated) 705.6kHz outputs to feed DAVE directly. The combination has created the world’s most advanced CD playback system.

X-r1PYI2O3PTicx0sI7s3BvoBqQqE2wcV6ch57ixfL2wkbvbD01voIuKfzkUMHXqvwvu9P1diRdmVhG8L_bSpuHd47it3VSMF4WpUsqTgsRVcQzUih-D333NaicYRxKJMqScRZSShZZvjj5MWg

Completely revised on the outside, too

The Blu MkII has also undergone extensive revisions on the outside. Chord’s Chief Designer, John Franks, has streamlined the aesthetic with a beautiful new top-plate that simply features the most commonly used functions. A useful display gives track information etc. and Chord’s elegant hinged self-supporting lid design offers a touch of class when loading/removing discs and positions the disc-puck perfectly. It also automatically stops play when lifted. A full remote offers further control options.

A comprehensive suite of high-performance connectivity is offered, including (for the digital outputs): AES (to 176.4KHz); single optical, single S/PDIF and dual BNC S/PDIF; the dual BNC S/PDIF output transmits up to 768kHz into Chord’s DAVE DAC/preamp using twin cables.

The Blu MkII also features a BNC S/PDIF digital input, meaning that it can also be used a standalone high-performance upsampler, for use with other digital sources, such as streamers, in addition to its primary function as a CD transport. This enables a digitally connected device to benefit from the Blu MkII’s advanced FPGA technology and if deployed, DAVE’s class-leading digital-to-analogue conversion.

Further features include Chord Electronics’ legendary proprietary high-frequency switching power supply and a dedicated CD-only laser mechanism for an uncompromising performance. A dedicated equipment support (in the Blu MkII/DAVE image) is also available for a supplement.

Like all Chord Electronics’ products, the Blu MkII is hand-made in the UK and features a precision-milled chassis, crafted from aircraft-grade aluminium.

Technical specifications

• Digital outputs: AES (to 176.4kHz); 1x optical, single BNC S/PDIF and dual BNC S/PDIF (768kHz-, 384kHz- and 192kHz-capable)
  • Digital inputs: 1x BNC S/PDIF
  • Frequency response: DC to 20kHz +/- 0.0000001dB
  • In-band ripple DC to 20kHz: +/- 0.0000002dB
  • Stop band rejection: -135dB
  • THD and noise 24-bit input: -144dB (defined by input)
  • WTA tap-length, 16FS filter: 1,015,808 taps
  • Dimensions: 335mm x 105mm x 170mm (WxHxD)
  • Weight: 7kg

Price and availability

Blu 2 will be available in early 2017, price £7,995

Technical information

A technical presentation is available on request

Images

Images can be found here

Chord contacts for publication

Tel: +44 (0)1622 721444

Email: [email protected]

Web: chordelectronics.co.uk

About Chord Electronics Ltd

Chord Electronics Ltd is a world-leading manufacturer of high-performance hi-fi and audio products. Since 1989, from its spectacular riverside base in Kent, England, Chord Electronics has been creating some of the planet’s finest hi-fi, home cinema and professional audio equipment. A technology-driven innovator, Chord Electronics continues to deliver excellence through exemplary audio engineering, cutting-edge design and a true aesthetic understanding.

Chord Electronics is trusted and admired internationally and its global customer base includes Abbey Road Studios (London), Sony Music Studios (New York) and Skywalker Sound (California). For an extensive client list and more information on the full Chord Electronics range, please visit www.chordelectronics.co.uk

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I think it's interesting the FPGA in the Blu Mk II is probably 4 times more powerful than the one in Chord DAVE probably because it's a newer product. But merely upsampling from 44.1kHz to 704kHz with lots of taps is probably easier to program than additional upsampling to 104MHz and then 17th order noise shaper in the Chord DAVE and then calculating the signals into the 20 elements of the Pulse Array DAC.

I guess for those who don't like Chord DAVE but like the WTA upsampling, they could pair the Blu with their Berkeley Alpha Reference DAC or MSB DAC or whatever, maybe even the Chord Mojo/Hugo 2...

I just posted some info and audio of what Rob Watts had to say about it - Computer Audiophile - CES 2017 - Nice Surprises

Thanks. This is great. At least I know I can wait for the non-CD external upsampler for the future. I think the reason Chord put out the CD transport first is multi-fold. They probably have old transports lying around so updating them would be easier. Also as source-resistant/independent as DAVE is compared to other DACs (I found very little difference between Toslink and USB), it's still source sensitive particularly when a noisy source is connected (especially through the BNC connection). I have certainly accidentally degraded DAVE performance by poor setup/source noise. Pairing the Blu with the DAVE gives Chord a lot more control over people hearing the optimal performance of the DAVE (and obviously Blu). I do think the sales pitch that the next generations would want our CDs and that's why Franks and Watts wanted a CD transport is bonkers and totally bogus. That said, when I visit my local brick and mortar stereo stores, I'm still surprised how many people want a CD player/transport.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

• 4 weeks later...