IGNORED

Audirvana Plus With MQA Decoder

Jud

It will be interesting to see which sounds better. Tidal App or Audirvana. Regardless of the outcome I'll be upgrading to A+ v3 as I feel v2.6.6 is the last of that series.

Yes, interesting, this (MQA) comparison. I am beta-testing Amarra 4. It sounds very good, but it's crashing all the time and no Tidal yet.

Can you give me some examples of such a device?

So the MQA core decoder in A+ V3 has some value, but you still need an MQA enabled device to get the real raison d'etre sound quality benefits of MQA (customized filter).

Dragonfly Black and Red - with updated firmware.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hello Damien

Again any beta testing for 3.0?

Gonzbull

On my system A+ sounds better than Tidal app on a MQA track without even decoding it (running at 24/44.1kHz). Its just a lot less noisy and cleaner sound. A+ with MQA should sound really good.

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

btw... hope A+ 3.x will re-consider which tags are to be used and how ;)

(talking about Classical music)

here's what The Zen of Classical Music Tagging says about "Artist":

Artist_tag.jpg

and re the "Grouping" tag... have you noticed how Qobuz is using it? I was using it in a similar way and had to change it in *all* my files just to make A+ happy :(

Proper and *standard* tags for what A+ is doing with the "Grouping" one are "Work" and "Part"

thanks for (hopefully, finally) listening ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

btw... hope A+ 3.x will re-consider which tags are to be used and how ;)

(talking about Classical music)

here's what The Zen of Classical Music Tagging says about "Artist":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33436[/ATTACH]

and re the "Grouping" tag... have you noticed how Qobuz is using it? I was using it in a similar way and had to change it in *all* my files just to make A+ happy :(

Proper and *standard* tags for what A+ is doing with the "Grouping" one are "Work" and "Part"

thanks for (hopefully, finally) listening ;)

Not sure I understand this comment about the Artist field :/ Why ever would you want the composer in the Artist field? That's why there's a Composer field :/

I use the Composer field for Composer, Artist field for artist (by track) and Album Artist for main artist for the album.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I use the Composer field for Composer, Artist field for artist (by track) and Album Artist for main artist for the album.

Artist (by track) only makes sense for Compilation albums (Various Artists), otherwise it just duplicates either Composer or Album Artist

for single track's performers (I'm always talking about Classical) there are specific tags ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Artist (by track) only makes sense for Compilation albums (Various Artists), otherwise it just duplicates either Composer or Album Artist

Not at all! What about a recording of Bach cantatas or the Verdi Requiem or operas or . . . ?

Some tracks are chorus + orchestra, some tracks are solos, some are duets, etc. - they *all* have different artists or combinations thereof.

Example:

MacMini 2017-02-22 10-47-08.png

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Not at all! What about a recording of Bach cantatas or the Verdi Requiem or operas or . . . ?

Some tracks are chorus + orchestra, some tracks are solos, some are duets, etc. - they *all* have different artists or combinations thereof.

right! though... here starts the discussion about what a music player should look like :P

what about, instead of a single endless line, having a sidebar with proper roles/performers listed orderly and consistently among different albums? that's what specific tags are there for ;)

headphones system:

Example:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33445[/ATTACH]

They really need to decide who's on that album!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

right! though... here starts the discussion about what a music player should look like :P

what about, instead of a single endless line, having a sidebar with proper roles/performers listed orderly and consistently among different albums? that's what specific tags are there for ;)

We'll, I'd certainly be up for that ;)

Until recently, though, I haven't used any player that displays or makes use of that data :/ and, frankly, I'm pretty sure I'll never get around to adding that level of detail to my 1,700+ classical albums :(

But would certainly be nice to have - I wish the labels / download sites would provide that level of tagging.

End of January seems to be end of February, hopefully [emoji120]

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Yes! Getting the last feature, the new license management completed as of now. It uses a usual license key number instead of a license file.

The improved audio engine, and the MQA integration have been ready for weeks...

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Damien... could you, please, make it so on first run v3 re-reads all file tags (to fix what eventually went wrong with 2.6)?

and in preparation for it, as I asked in 2.6 thread: what character A+ treats a separator in Artist, Album Artist and Composer tags?

changed mine from " - " to "; " but I'm still seeing "Composer 1; Composer 2; Composer 3; etc" in A+ 2.6.6 (after starting fresh)

headphones system:

Yes! Getting the last feature, the new license management completed as of now. It uses a usual license key number instead of a license file.

The improved audio engine, and the MQA integration have been ready for weeks...Damien

Can we please have some details about the audio engine improvements?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Can we please have some details about the audio engine improvements?

Um, it sounds better? ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist, but will tell you that I listened without being told there were any SQ changes and wrote Damien asking if he'd done something, because it sounds very, very good (subjectively speaking of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Um, it sounds better? ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist, but will tell you that I listened without being told there were any SQ changes and wrote Damien asking if he'd done something, because it sounds very, very good (subjectively speaking of course).

Thanks for the heads up Jud.

I take it there's an overall SQ improvement and not just with the MQA implementation.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

Thanks for the heads up Jud.

I take it there's an overall SQ improvement and not just with the MQA implementation.

Yes.

Um, it sounds better? ;)

Some lucky publication is going to hire you as a reviewer.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I'm looking forward to this, are we talking about a few days to release or longer?

I don't know the answer personally. I know Damien has been on a family vacation and did not want to do the release just before or during that time.

I don't know the answer personally. I know Damien has been on a family vacation and did not want to do the release just before or during that time

I'm happy to wait, I'm just curious about how long that will be. I'd rather wait that have something rushed.

There's a rule where I work, apart from absolute emergencies no new software is put live on a Friday. The same applies to holidays for a solo developer <grin>.

I'm happy to wait, I'm just curious about how long that will be. I'd rather wait that have something rushed.

There's a rule where I work, apart from absolute emergencies no new software is put live on a Friday. The same applies to holidays for a solo developer <grin>.

Agree, but inform you customers.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile