IGNORED

Audirvana Plus With MQA Decoder

Jud

I was reading Benchmark's doom and gloom forecast for MQA, and since I use the digital volume controls of A+, does that mean I would lose the MQA stream?

"MQA requires a lossless transmission system from the file source to the final D/A converter. Benign DSP processes such as a digital volume control (used in moderation) immediately defeat the MQA decoding. The same is true for digital crossovers, digital EQ, and room correction."

Your Modi MB is not an MQA DAC. So A+ would decode the MQA stream to 24/88 or 24/96 and then you can still apply digital volume controls in A+ with the 24/88 or 24/96 signal and send it to your DAC. You're still getting most of the benefits of MQA since you're getting a 24/88 or 24/96 stream rather than a 16/44 stream. After all, I think the best way to think about MQA is that it is both a minimally lossy compression scheme from hi-res to 24/44 FLAC and it is a specification to tell your DAC what digital upsampling filter to use once the 24/44 FLAC is decompressed back into the original hi-res form. Using A+ to decode, you'll lose the latter functionality but you're still getting most of the hi-res goodness.