IGNORED

Big MQA News (Really - Tidal and Software Decoding, etc...)

What issues?

Per the other thread,

It disables software MQA decoding (which I thought was contractually prohibited from existing?) so that the raw MQA bits can be passed to a capable DAC. Whether you leave that option on or off, the stuff Tidal's servers are vending to your computer over the network is bits from the MQA-decimated "master" file.

I would like the option to continue listening to the FLAC/ALAC master.

Aries Mini -> Audioquest Forest -> Musical Fidelity M6si -> Nordost White -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL tower

Per the other thread,

It disables software MQA decoding (which I thought was contractually prohibited from existing?) so that the raw MQA bits can be passed to a capable DAC. Whether you leave that option on or off, the stuff Tidal's servers are vending to your computer over the network is bits from the MQA-decimated "master" file.

I would like the option to continue listening to the FLAC/ALAC master.

Ok, understood. It remains to be seen if that 44Khz comes from the MQA "master" file.

It would be clearer if they just identified the MQA version like a new "edition"...

Just saw the announcement email come through on my way home. To try it out quickly, I plugged my Chord Mojo and HD800 combo into my Mac Mini. Looks like the higher bitrates come through just fine and I am leaving software MQA decoding on. It sounds fantastic and I'm really pleased. Can't wait until they allow the mobile apps and hardware devices like my Aries to stream this stuff! Awesome!

Just tried playing MQA version in Roon. See screen shot results below of difference between normal (16/44) and MQA (24/48) versions, both played from Tidal through Roon plus HQPlayer (Tidal labels the MQA version as "(Deluxe)":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32082[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32083[/ATTACH]

There is a noticeable sonic difference between the two.

How are you able to do this ?

I have Roon on a Qnap, does Roon has to be on a PC ?

Are you using the PC USB output, or can I use network and my MicroRendu ?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

EQ does that ;)

Seriously, the debate will go on but it does not really matter because the actual answers are in the black box of IP/software patents/DRM. Ah well, it's for our own (sonic and otherwise) good - many (most?) will simply take our medicine and smile...

2L has tracks they recorded natively in MQA streaming right now in Tidal and they sound damn good to my ears

Quick SQ test into the USB input of my Musical Fidelity M6si, playing the same album...

MQA (software decode defeated) from Tidal desktop app on my MacBook < FLAC from the MacBook < MQA (default settings - software decode enabled) from the MacBook < FLAC from the Auralic Aries Mini

Presumably the AAM lacks the software decoder that the Tidal desktop app has so all of us with pre-MQA DACs are left with worse SQ than before.

Aries Mini -> Audioquest Forest -> Musical Fidelity M6si -> Nordost White -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL tower

The software decoding is a Big Fat "I told you so" from most of us - it was inevitable compromise on MQA's part because it is the only way to get a critical mass of market penetration...

...and with a critical mass will come more MQA content... and for those who want the best sound quality possible, MQA enabled hardware becomes the answer. Everyone is happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Presumably the AAM lacks the software decoder that the Tidal desktop app has so all of us with pre-MQA DACs are left with worse SQ than before.

Not sure what you mean by "worse SQ than before." Wasn't "before" also the Tidal 16/44.1 file? MQA encoded files should present to a non-MQA app as 24/44.1 or 24/48, which should sound as good as or slightly better than the 16/44.1.

However, I just tried a test with my Auralic Aries Mini. I first went into the Tidal app on my Macbook and created a playlist with a bunch of Master tracks. I set exclusive mode, and confirmed that they were being SW decoded.

Back on the Aries Mini, I now see this new playlist in Lightning DS. But when I play back a track, the display shows Tidal 16/44.1. It's not even getting the MQA file in the stream.

I suspect this is either teething troubles, or Tidal is not enabling any client other than its own Mac/Win apps to pull MQA files.

Not sure what you mean by "worse SQ than before." Wasn't "before" also the Tidal 16/44.1 file? MQA encoded files should present to a non-MQA app as 24/44.1 or 24/48, which should sound as good as or slightly better than the 16/44.1.

However, I just tried a test with my Auralic Aries Mini. I first went into the Tidal app on my Macbook and created a playlist with a bunch of Master tracks. I set exclusive mode, and confirmed that they were being SW decoded.

Back on the Aries Mini, I now see this new playlist in Lightning DS. But when I play back a track, the display shows Tidal 16/44.1. It's not even getting the MQA file in the stream.

I suspect this is either teething troubles, or Tidal is not enabling any client other than its own Mac/Win apps to pull MQA files.

Both Roon and Audirvana (at least) are playing MQA files bit-perfect through their Tidal integration. Sounds like the Auralic system is mangling the files somehow ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

A question for those who have been using the software passthrough option and using a DAC to decode. I have a Meridian Explorer 2. Listening to 2L MQA files via Audirvana and the Explorer 2 - the light turns blue to show MQA Studio Quality and the sound is very good. Same file played as a master through Tidal wiith software passthrough (DAC doing the decoding) and the light on the Explorere 2 is White and seems to be at 88 or 96.

Should the tidal file played thorugh the Explorer 2 also show MQA studio quality?

Also, the 2l version played through Audirvana and the Explorer actually sounds better to me.

Headphones: ZMF Atrium Closed, ZMF Bokeh, Audeze LCD-X, Meze 109 Pro, Focal Clear Mg, Noble Katana IEMs, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed
Amp/DAC: Decware MKIII Tube Amp, ZMF Homage, Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Woo Audio WA8, Burston Playmate 2, Mytek DSD192 DAC, Cayin RU7, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus DAP
Cables: Promitheus XLR Interconnects, WyWired red cables, Meze Silver, ZMF 6.35 ofc and 4 pin xlr stock, Arctic Cable, Audio Envy Cable balanced, balanced Silver Interconnects
Other: Aurender N100H, Macbook Pro (2023) running Audirvana Studio

A question for those who have been using the software passthrough option and using a DAC to decode. I have a Meridian Explorer 2. Listening to 2L MQA files via Audirvana and the Explorer 2 - the light turns blue to show MQA Studio Quality and the sound is very good. Same file played as a master through Tidal wiith software passthrough (DAC doing the decoding) and the light on the Explorere 2 is White and seems to be at 88 or 96.

Should the tidal file played thorugh the Explorer 2 also show MQA studio quality?

Also, the 2l version played through Audirvana and the Explorer actually sounds better to me.

I'm also playing the TIDAL master files through an Explorer², and I'm consistently getting the blue light indicating MQA studio quality.

The DAC is also indicating a variety of 44.1/96/192 kHz sampling rates. I find it VERY interesting that every album I already own in hi-res FLAC has exactly the same sampling rate on TIDAL, not to mention the fact that almost every album in the master section has already been released in hi-res.

I would bet a shiny nickel that all of the MQA files on TIDAL were just converted from the same hi-res masters that are already available. On the plus side, when A-Bing the TIDAL master files with my hi-res files played with Audirvana, they sound more or less identical.

I'm also playing the TIDAL master files through an Explorer², and I'm consistently getting the blue light indicating MQA studio quality.

Which albums are you playing where you are getting the blue light?

Thanks

Chris

Headphones: ZMF Atrium Closed, ZMF Bokeh, Audeze LCD-X, Meze 109 Pro, Focal Clear Mg, Noble Katana IEMs, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed
Amp/DAC: Decware MKIII Tube Amp, ZMF Homage, Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Woo Audio WA8, Burston Playmate 2, Mytek DSD192 DAC, Cayin RU7, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus DAP
Cables: Promitheus XLR Interconnects, WyWired red cables, Meze Silver, ZMF 6.35 ofc and 4 pin xlr stock, Arctic Cable, Audio Envy Cable balanced, balanced Silver Interconnects

Well as far as I know my dac is not MQA compatible (Chord Mojo), and I can still hear music with passthrough enabled. Any explanation? Am I doing something wrong?

Though some songs seem to play in a higher quality (88/96 kHz) when MQA decoding is enabled. (Can't really tell the difference, though, I've had a few beers haha)

Cheers

All of them.

I changed my setting to Exclusive Mode and now I get the blue light with passthrough checked or unchecked. Now to test if there is a difference using software to decode MQA or the Explorer2

I have a sneaking suspicion that there is another shoe to drop sometime, maybe price change or access change, right now is the 'hooking of the customer base" stage

So what? If you buy a "hirez" download or an SACD it costs more than redbook right? I would pay more to stream in a better format than repurchase music I already own in a different format.

Almost everyone, including yourself. If anyone were to take this radical "subjectivity" argument of yours seriously, your reviews of product would be moot because it would all be based SOLELY on personal taste, how you were feeling that day, and what level of alcohol was in your blood. You would have no bases to COMPARE any one thing to any other thing. Nobody is really interested in that, because that is a world where no one can talk to each other except to say the obvious "I like blue", "well I like green", "well, then why would I read your review of blue because I like green?".

Nope, instead we lived in a shared world where not every opinion is equal, where real things exist, and (in the context of this discussion) all of us (well, most of us) recognize the validity of something called "High Fidelity", which is to say some things (software or hardware) are more "equal" than others. Not very political correct, but it IS one of the legs on which this hobby rests on.

Besides, MQA is not about SQ anyways...

MQA is definitely about SQ to my ears,listen to"Empire State of Mind". its da bomb.

if you don't like it leave Tidal and go to Beats Music or buy $$$ "hirez" downloads.

Recorded music requires electronic gear (which implies software as well) in order to be consumed. This discussion is about gear (software in this case). It has pretty much zero to do with how invested someone is in listening to and "enjoying" music.

I'm sorry but to me this discussion is about nusic. I was ready to go out and buy a new DAC to get MQA, instead I just get a software upgrade from Tidal, hit play and it works great. Duh, no "equipment" necessary.