IGNORED

Big MQA News (Really - Tidal and Software Decoding, etc...)

MQA Announcements This AM:

* Global music and entertainment platform, TIDAL, has launched a new ‘master’ audio feature and is offering MQA music to all TIDAL HiFi subscribers.

* Technics are announcing the implementation of MQA into their Grand Class SU-G30 Network Player Amplifier in Spring 2017.

* AudioQuest, are also announcing MQA implementation in their USB DAC products, DragonFly Red and Black. MQA will be available to AudioQuest customers later this month via a free software update.

* Audirvana, creator of Audirvana Plus, the High-Fidelity software player for macOS, announced that MQA decoding will be available in the upcoming Audirvana Plus 3, which is due for release early 2017.

* Pioneer’s next-generation XDP-300R digital audio player will be demonstrated along with a sneak-peek of its new entry-level DAP. Onkyo will be displaying the next iteration of its award-winning digital audio player with the DP-X1A alongside its new entry-level model. Joining the digital audio players will be a preview of Onkyo’s new hi-res smartphone. (These will be displayed at the Venetian).

PRESS RELEASE

EMBARGO UNTIL 5 JAN 2017

LAS VEGAS 7AM, NEW YORK 10AM, LONDON 3PM

TIDAL Launches New ‘Master’ Audio Feature

New York/London/Las Vegas, 5 January 2017: Global music and entertainment platform, TIDAL, today has announced the availability of ‘Master’ quality recordings. A wide variety of content from labels and artists, including Warner Music Group’s world-renowned music catalog, is now available in Master audio across all of TIDAL’s available markets worldwide.

TIDAL has integrated MQA, the award-winning technology that enables this innovation, and has offered it to all TIDAL HiFi tier subscribers under a new ‘Master’ listing. Initially available on desktop, a wide range of recordings are already available and the collection will grow rapidly.

“TIDAL is committed to bringing members closer to their favorite musicians and offering MQA sound quality will allow subscribers to hear music just as it was recorded in the studio,” said a TIDAL representative. “We’re thrilled to bring master quality sound to our members.”

Mike Jbara, MQA CEO, said, “TIDAL is an artist-centric music company. We could not be more excited that they share our vision of having fans hear the authentic performance of their favorite music.”

Visit TIDAL.com/Masters to learn more, non-members can sign up for a complimentary 60-day trial.

-Ends-

TIDAL Press Contacts:

[email protected]

ABOUT TIDAL

TIDAL is a global, experiential, entertainment platform built for fans, directly from artists around the world. TIDAL members enjoy exclusively curated content that directly connect artists with their fans in multiple ways. The service offers high-fidelity, CD sound quality music, high resolution video, an opportunity to discover new artists via TIDAL Rising and unique experiences via TIDAL X. TIDAL is available in more than 52 countries, with more than a 42.5 million song catalog and 140,000 high quality videos. For more information, please visit http://www.tidal.com.

Follow TIDAL at http://facebook.com/tidal, http://twitter.com/tidalhifi and https://instagram.com/tidal/

MQA Press Contacts:**************************************

[email protected]

[email protected]

Press site for MQA:

URL:*http://www.mqa.co.uk/press

About MQA

Using pioneering scientific research into how people hear, the MQA team has created a technology that captures the sound of the original studio performance.*The master MQA file is fully authenticated in the studio and is small enough to stream, while also being backward compatible, so you can play MQA music on any device. MQA’s award-winning technology is licensed by labels, music services and hardware manufacturers worldwide and is certified by the RIAA. MQA is a UK-based private company.

For more information visit*http://www.mqa.co.uk

Follow MQA on:*Facebook**Twitter**You Tube

PRESS RELEASE

MQA amplifies hi-res audio activity at CES 2017

Las Vegas/London, 5 January 2017: MQA is an official supporter of the Hi-Res Audio Pavilion at CES, and will be participating in the DEG-led initiative to showcase studio quality music and premium streaming services. Occupying a unique position as an enabling technology for music services, record labels and device manufacturers, MQA will support the activities of partner companies who are based on the Hi-Res Audio Pavilion, as well as those exhibiting elsewhere at CES.

Eric Boulanger, founder and award-winning mastering engineer at The Bakery in Los Angeles, will be taking part in a live demonstration at 1pm on Thursday 5 January at the Pavilion. “MQA will be the first opportunity, in the history of recorded music, to directly link the music listener to the mastering studio, revolutionising my job and its importance,” says Boulanger of the MQA format.

Music services update

Global music and entertainment platform, TIDAL, has launched a new ‘master’ audio feature and is offering MQA music to all TIDAL HiFi subscribers.

“TIDAL is committed to bringing members closer to their favourite musicians and offering MQA sound quality will allow subscribers to hear music just as it was recorded in the studio,” said a TIDAL representative.

Hi-res download store, HIGHRESAUDIO, is also expanding its MQA offering with releases from selected Warner Music artists now available for download.

New partner announcements from Technics, AudioQuest and Audirvana

Technics are announcing the implementation of MQA into their Grand Class SU-G30 Network Player Amplifier in Spring 2017.

Michiko Ogawa, Director of Technics & Executive Officer of Panasonic Corporation, had the following to say in support*of MQA: “The rapidly growing music streaming industry needs essential audio technologies like MQA to deliver an authentic music experience to a mass audience. We are delighted to be working with MQA to help achieve this goal.”

AudioQuest, are also announcing MQA implementation in their USB DAC products, DragonFly Red and Black. MQA will be available to AudioQuest customers later this month via a free software update. Steve Silberman, VP of Development, commented: “AudioQuest aims to deliver amazing sound quality and MQA implementation in our products demonstrates this commitment. We’re very excited to offer AudioQuest customers the best possible audio experience.” MQA demonstrations will be in the AudioQuest Venetian suites 30-105 and 30-106, and at the Hi-Res Audio Pavilion.

Audirvana, creator of Audirvana Plus, the High-Fidelity software player for macOS, announced that MQA decoding will be available in the upcoming Audirvana Plus 3, which is due for release early 2017. “The integration of MQA technology is a major step towards enabling all Mac*users to hear their favourite artists as if they were right there in front of them,” commented Audirvana founder Damien Plisson.

MQA partner updates

Mytek has launched the Mytek Clef, a powerful high fidelity headphone amplifier and DAC that is MQA-enabled. The new Mytek Clef will be on display at the Hi-Res Audio Pavilion in Central Hall and will be shipping in the second quarter of 2017.

NAD Electronics and Bluesound will be offering demonstrations of several MQA-enabled products at The Venetian, Suite 30-235. Products include the PULSE SOUNDBAR, the first soundbar to support MQA.

Pioneer’s next-generation XDP-300R digital audio player will be demonstrated along with a sneak-peek of its new entry-level DAP.* Onkyo will be displaying the next iteration of its award-winning digital audio player with the DP-X1A alongside its new entry-level model.* Joining the digital audio players will be a preview of Onkyo’s new hi-res smartphone. All products include MQA implementation and will be demonstrated in the Venetian at suite 29-309.

Useful information

MQA has a base on the Hi-Res Audio Pavilion, Booth #14546 in Central Hall of LVCC.

MQA will be present at the DEG press conference, room S228 of the LVCC, 12-1.30pm on Thursday 5 January.

Other MQA partners demonstrating at the Venetian include:

Bel Canto suite 29-318

Brinkmann suite 29-201 (Vandersteen room)

MSB suite 29-211

Aurender (Martin Logan room) 30-118

-Ends-

MQA Press Contacts:

[email protected]

[email protected]

MQA Press Site:

http://www.mqa.co.uk/press

About MQA

Using pioneering scientific research into how people hear, the MQA team has created a technology that captures the sound of the original studio performance.*The master MQA file is fully authenticated in the studio and is small enough to stream, while also being backward compatible, so you can play MQA music on any device. MQA’s award-winning technology is licensed by labels, music services and hardware manufacturers worldwide and is certified by the RIAA. MQA is a UK-based private company.

For more information visit*http://www.mqa.co.uk

Follow MQA on:*Facebook**Twitter**You Tube

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

From Tidal:

What is TIDAL Masters?

TIDAL is delivering master-quality audio recordings directly from the source to HiFi members — an audio experience exactly as the artist intended — in partnership with MQA.

How can I listen to TIDAL Masters (master-quality recordings)?

All you need is a TIDAL HiFi membership to access thousands of master-quality albums only through the TIDAL desktop application.

When you are in the TIDAL desktop application, go to “What’s New” and select “Masters” in the Albums section.

To get the best quality, make sure to select "HiFi/Master" quality in “Settings" and then select “Streaming".

If you don’t have the TIDAL desktop application, you can find it here: tidal.com/download

How do I upgrade from TIDAL Premium to TIDAL HiFi?

If you already have a TIDAL Premium membership you can upgrade to TIDAL HiFi from your account page here: my.tidal.com/login

Where do I find a full list of available master-quality albums and tracks?

TIDAL HiFi members can access our growing catalog of master-quality albums and tracks only through the TIDAL desktop application.

Go to “What’s New” and select “Masters” in the Albums section.

Master-quality albums and tracks will be available on mobile and web applications at a later date.

What will it cost?

We are introducing this to all TIDAL HiFi members at no additional charge.

How much music is available in TIDAL Masters?

We have over 30,000 tracks from Warner Music Group, our TIDAL artist owners and key independent labels. We will continue to add more master-quality content over time.

What is the difference between HiFi quality and Master quality sound?

HiFi audio is a superior sound, but is still limited in its resolution — 44.1 kHz/16 bit.

Yet TIDAL has partnered with MQA to deliver something infinitely better: an authenticated and unbroken version (typically 96 kHz/24 bit) with the highest possible resolution — as flawless as it sounded in the mastering suite. And exactly as the artist intended it to sound.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

with software MQA decoding in the offing such as from Audirvana what does this mean for MQA hardware, will there be 2 different playback qualities? Why buy MQA hardware if you can accomplish playback with software?

Also, does this mean that AURALiC will be welcomed back into the fold after last year's debacle?

Jim

I'm pleasantly surprised by the variety of music genres available in Masters. My assumption was that it would be 95% classical and jazz but this is not the case.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Immediate questions that come to my mind:

- is Tidal doing software decoding of MQA? => apparently so

- or do we need an MQA DAC to take advantage of MQA Masters? => see above. There is an option to disable software decoding and take advantage of external MQA DAC.

- what is the sample rate without using MQA DAC? => possibly limited to 96/24???

MQA Announcements This AM:

“TIDAL is committed to bringing members closer to their favourite musicians and offering MQA sound quality will allow subscribers to hear music just as it was recorded in the studio,” said a TIDAL representative.

“TIDAL is committed to bringing members closer to their favorite musicians and offering MQA sound quality will allow subscribers to hear music just as it was recorded in the studio,” said a TIDAL representative.”

We read enough technical arguments to know they are lying.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
My next question would be: if Tidal is doing software decoding of MQA, where is the special MQA light to show us bit perfect delivery etc?

When regular Redbook format is streamed, that's not bitperfect? Is any light necessary for it to be bit perfect?

Tidal MQA is bit perfect against what? It is not bitperfect against original Redbook or hires recording, because MQA means applying DSP on that original content. Then 'that light' shows you that you are receiving that modified content.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
Answering some of my own questions, and others:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32079[/ATTACH]

I don't have the options on the right - is this a developers version? Perhaps the Windows (as opposed to Apple) desktop version has not been updated?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

When regular Redbook format is streamed, that's not bitperfect? Is any light necessary for it to be bit perfect?

Not if after the studio produces a CD master someone else then applies EQ and up samples to 96/24 and then flogs it as hi-rez. Regardless, the questions still stands. Where is the green/blue MQA light?

Is there a way to disable getting MQA stream and get just regular unbroken RedBook?

No - they are REPLACING the 16/44 version with the DRMed (i.e. MQA version). They are also not using the moniker "MQA" but using "MASTER" instead (for example using a "MASTER" indicator instead of "HIFI" on the play bar in the lower right).

Spotify 320, here I come...

I don't have the options on the right - is this a developers version? Perhaps the Windows (as opposed to Apple) desktop version has not been updated?

I'm using a regular Mac OS version. Did you click on the "gear" icon next to the output device? I had to click on that to see the screen I pasted.

with software MQA decoding in the offing such as from Audirvana what does this mean for MQA hardware, will there be 2 different playback qualities? Why buy MQA hardware if you can accomplish playback with software

Are you sure that MQA software decoding will happen in Audirvana, to a PCM stream for any DAC to use? They have been very adamantly against this.

If you use MQA hardware, the claim from MQA is that yes, it will sound better than a generic PCM stream to a DAC because there's tailoring to the DAC chip (and output stage?) of the device. This could be better than decoding a generic PCM stream.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I'm using a regular Mac OS version. Did you click on the "gear" icon next to the output device? I had to click on that to see the screen I pasted.

Thanks - I had switched to "sytem default" a few days back - when I choose my regular output I see the gear icon and the choice to force "MQA passthrough"

This also answers the question rather Tidal is providing the 16/44 version as well as the DRM version. The answer is NO - Tidal is now transitioning to being a DRM service...

My next question would be: if Tidal is doing software decoding of MQA, where is the special MQA light to show us bit perfect delivery etc?

The lights you are referring to are validation that the MQA data has not been massaged in any way and (in some cases) that it is indeed a "fully MQA version from start to end". I don't know what "bit perfect" means here - I suppose it means it is "MQA untouched". However, the new files will NOT be bit perfect equivalent to the old 16/44 files, not even the 16 most significant bits will.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics