IGNORED

Tidal 2.1.x

JML

Stay away from this update for now! 2.0.3 works fine, but anything newer (two releases so far of 2.1) crashes my MacBook running 10.9.5 immediately, and then puts the Mac into a loop of rebooting and crashing that's hard to stop.

Audio-Technica DSR5BT; Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 (balanced); FOCAL Clear (balanced); OPPO PM-3 (Double Helix Molecule 2.0 balanced cable); KEF M500; KEF Space One
OPPO HA-1; MERIDIAN Explorer2; MERIDIAN Explorer; & AUDIOQUEST Jitterbugs 
SONY NW-WM1A (Double Helix Molecule SE balanced cable for OPPO PM-3)
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Incline speakers & ProSub800 subwoofer
MacBook Pro Retina 15" (13,3); Audirvana Plus 3.x; & AIFF files
Stay away from this update for now! 2.0.3 works fine, but anything newer (two releases so far of 2.1) crashes my MacBook running 10.9.5 immediately, and then puts the Mac into a loop of rebooting and crashing that's hard to stop.

FWIW, Tidal 2.1.1 works fine on El Capitan (10.11.6). Perhaps they are no longer supporting 10.9. Have you contacted them?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

The Tidal website says the current download is OK for 10.8 and up. The first build of 2.1 failed, I wrote them, they acknowledged the problem, and after yesterday's build failed, I filed another bug report.

Audio-Technica DSR5BT; Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 (balanced); FOCAL Clear (balanced); OPPO PM-3 (Double Helix Molecule 2.0 balanced cable); KEF M500; KEF Space One

yes apparently they went live today probably about 100 albums. Desk top app only, need the latest version as I note above. Then make sure you have hifi subscription then click whats new and under albums to far right click masters, those are MQA or what is available today. Folks at Roon have reported these titles show 24/48 as source when played thru roon.

When I play Tidal Masters with JRIVER / Win7 and the wdm driver my HA-1 shows 24/96. When I play with the Tidal desktop app / MacOS Sierra 10.12.2 the HA-1 shows 24/44.1. Does anyone know what we should be seeing?

If you have an MQA-enabled DAC, you should see the full, original bitrate (whatever it was) when playing back through either Roon or Tidal.

If you do not have an MQA-enabled DAC, when playing back through Tidal, you'll see a reconstruction up to the 2x rates (i.e., 88.2 / 96) - the software decoder only allows up to those rates. When playing back through Roon, you'll see 44 or 48, because they have not yet implemented the software decoder.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Build 160 immediately crashes my MacBook, still. I'm just going to wait for the Audirvana update.

Version 2.1.2.177 seems to work fine. No crashes (so far).

Now it crashes my laptop. After working fine for a couple of days, Tidal crashes the computer upon launch, and tries to open at reboot, resulting in a crash. It took me several tries to shut it down before it triggered a crash. YUCCH.

Now it crashes my laptop. After working fine for a couple of days, Tidal crashes the computer upon launch, and tries to open at reboot, resulting in a crash. It took me several tries to shut it down before it triggered a crash. YUCCH.

Can't help you with the crashes, but:

Settings>Account>scroll to bottom>Toggle "No" to startup

That will prevent the automatic startup.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Tidal support replied to me (again) and reports "this is a known issue and will be addressed in a upcoming release." [sigh]

rodrigaj, the crash happens so quickly that there's no time to change the startup settings. It took me a half-dozen restarts to be able to shut down Tidal directly from the dock (where I had a shortcut) before it would fully open and trigger a crash.

• 1 month later...

2.1.4.xx is still causing the same problem, even when the app is set to NOT open on boot. As soon as I restart my laptop, and then manually open Tidal, it triggers a shut-down. But it worked fine before the restart.

I tried again, at Tidal's request. It crashed my laptop immediately this time. They want the log files. The app.log file is empty, but player.log has this:

(Tue Mar 07 2017 08:30:49) [iNFO] - attempting to select system controlled device

(Tue Mar 07 2017 08:30:49) [iNFO] - AudioBufferDescriptor [ streamBits: 16 containerBits: 16 sampleType: INT16 ]

(Tue Mar 07 2017 08:31:38) [iNFO] - attempting to select system controlled device

(Tue Mar 07 2017 08:31:38) [iNFO] - AudioBufferDescriptor [ streamBits: 16 containerBits: 16 sampleType: INT16 ]

(Tue Mar 07 2017 08:32:12) [iNFO] - attempting to select system controlled device

(Tue Mar 07 2017 08:32:12) [iNFO] - AudioBufferDescriptor [ streamBits: 16 containerBits: 16 sampleType: INT16 ]

(Tue Mar 07 2017 08:32:46) [iNFO] - attempting to select system controlled device

(Tue Mar 07 2017 08:32:46) [iNFO] - AudioBufferDescriptor [ streamBits: 16 containerBits: 16 sampleType: INT16 ]

(Tue Mar 07 2017 08:33:18) [iNFO] - attempting to select system controlled device

(Tue Mar 07 2017 08:33:18) [iNFO] - AudioBufferDescriptor [ streamBits: 16 containerBits: 16 sampleType: INT16 ]

(Tue Mar 07 2017 08:34:12) [iNFO] - attempting to select system controlled device

(Tue Mar 07 2017 08:34:12) [iNFO] - AudioBufferDescriptor [ streamBits: 16 containerBits: 16 sampleType: INT16 ]