IGNORED

Just received: M2Tech Hiface USB interface

The latest drivers solved the clicks/pops problem on 10.4 Tiger, too. The only thing remained is a 600msec audio delay which occures playing videos (I guess some buffering) but obviously for the main audio only usage it's irrelevant.

? MBP ? M2Tech hiFace ? Heed Q-PSU/Dactilus 2 ? Heed CanAmp ? Sennheiser HD650

Just got my HiFace RCA here, and it beats the ESI Juli@ hands down. What an incredible device! What is Chris waiting for to test it?? Small, somewhat cheap, excellent sound quality. Plus it works 24/192 in a single coaxial cable, no need to use 2 cables. ;-)

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

I'm not sure what you mean when you say no need to use 2 cables, since both the HiFace and Juli@ only require a single coaxial cable. The analog outputs of the Juli@ (or any other internal soundcard for that matter) will not compare as well to a digital interface to external DAC, which is why for superior sound you should only be using the coaxial output from the Juli@.

I was using Juli@'s digital output with a Benchmark DAC1 USB. I was comparing both at the digital domain (SPDIF). I'm glad both use a single coaxial as oposed to Lynx.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

I know this maybe a bad question but where would i be able to purchase a Hi Face online I need the bnc connections though at this stage lols ill take rca

Mac Book Pro, HiFace, Cary Exiter Dac, Focal speakers, JL Audio sub,plus cable and cords from Audio Art and Shunyata, Hydra powered by Cambridge Audio

Thanks Jon as I just ordered one as I live in the States also. This Bryston better be worth all the stuff I am doing for it lols. (joke)

Mac Book Pro, HiFace, Cary Exiter Dac, Focal speakers, JL Audio sub,plus cable and cords from Audio Art and Shunyata, Hydra powered by Cambridge Audio

I am trying to establsih bit perfect playback using JRivers MC in WASAPI mode on Vista OS. Previously playing direct into my DAC1 HDR usb input there was no issue with JR MC / WASAPI (and the sound was excellent) but now with the usb via HiFace to coaxial input on the DAC there is no sound with WASAPI mode.

iTunes plays back no problem as does J RIvers MC in "Wave Out" or "Direct Sound" modes but not in WASAPI. I am experimenting with AIFF, FLAC & ALAC files. I am guessing this means I am actually playing back via the Vista OS mixer when using the HiFace and cannot bypass it, which I understand is not bit perfect.

I have doubled checked the settings and everthing appears OK as follows:

JR MC/Tools/Options/Audio

Output Mode: WASAPI

Output Mode Settings: SPDIF Interface (2-HiFace 1.0.3 usb to spdif 44.1-192khz) with buffering at far left

DSP Studio: only "Output Format" checked with 2 channels, 24-bit and no reampling

JR MC/Tools/Options/File Types

set to automatic except first two file types (AAC and AC3) have DC Base Source plug in installed

Vista/Control Panel/Sound/Manage Audio Device/Playback

spdif interface 2-HiFace 1.0.3 usb to spdif 44.1-192khz Working

double click this icon and select /Properties/Advanced

set to 24 bit/192khz with both boxes checked for exclusive playback and control over application

all window sounds are turned off

Any ideas what I have missed?

Thanks in advance.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

I used my Mac G4 Powerbook with the Hi-Face in a friend system yesterday. My system is down till the floor is finished with either a new carpet or tiles. Marco had sent me new drives for PPC and the Leopard OS. I installed the software, rebooted, configured the Audio Mini and play setup to use Hi-Face.

The playback was great and no clicks or pops!

Liz

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

Double post, double answer! lol

In order to HiFace work in WASAPI exclusive mode, you need to uninstall the 1.03.141 driver, reboot and install the older drivers 1.03.140. Download link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/369175283/win7vista103_140.zip.html

Then you need to go to Control Panel => Sound => Manage Audio Device => HiFace 1.0.3 => Properties => Formats accepted

Check all sample rates as the screen shot show:

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt307/leo1311/ISO-8859-1QDispositivos...

Voila: now your JRiver MC 14 or JRiver MC 15 beta works in WASAPI exclusive mode in all sample rates. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just got mine too. I have found none of the problems mentioned here but would offer a few tips from my experience:

The unit arrives with no instructions and an unmarked mini size disc!

After installing the drivers (XP) the unit appeared in my device list but none of my players (Winamp, Media Monkey, cool edit or Foobar) produced any sound. Moving to media player's output configurations, the unit failed to appear on any (all four) device list. I found that it was 'muted' in the computer sound>>>volume box. Unmuting caused the devide to appear and away it went.

I had several 'turn it off and turn it on again' sessions and I'm not sure whether these had any effect.

I had been using Edirol UA-25 and an onboard Realtek card, both at 96k. These always played through at 96k regardless of the bit rate of the source. The Hiface on the other hand sends through the bit rate of the source.

My Lyngedorf TDA 2200 all digital amp happily updated the bit rate in it's front panel display accordingly via all players apart from Foobar where it sometimes (often, always) got stuck at the wrong bit rate although the sound flowed out normally as if nothing was wrong. What a shame because Foobar is the only player I've found that plays everything right from the start.

If I find out any more I'll let you all know.

I received my Hiface about three weeks ago and it now has 50+ hours on it. I had some clicking between songs early on but they were corrected by the WASAPI drivers download. I am throughly happy with it. It takes 50 or so hours of burn-in time until is starts to open up and smooth out. I can notice an improvement in detail and imaging as time goes by. I am now saving my pennies for a PS Audio Digital Link III so I can try out some of the higher resoloution recordings that are out there and the DVD-Audio disks that I have to be ripped.

Hp Laptop W/Vista SP2 -> J-River MC 16 -> M2Tech HiFace, V-Link -> Audio-GD FUN/MF V-DAC/Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 -> Halfler 915 -> Marantz MM9000 -> Very Modified Dahlquist DQ-10\'s [br]or MacBook W/Lion -> iTunes -> V-Link -> V-DAC -> Schitt LYR -> Sennheiser HD600, HD650, Denon AH-D5000

I may just have a DL III practically brand new you could buy. I changed my system and haven't used it in a while so it has been sitting. I am thinking about selling it since I don't use it. I have all the boxes, manuals, etc.

It is an awesome unit though for the price! Read the reviews.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi:

I have been reading this forum for a while without any contribution and feel many questions always go answered.

1. How does one check and ensure bit perfection when sending data out of PC via USB, Firewire, or S/PDIF from soundcard?

2. What is acceptable remote for J River Media Center?

Here is my contribution to these two questions.

1. Two years ago I learnt while reading a post on a forum that if a DST encoded 44.1/16 wav file or Dolby Digital encoded 44.1/16 wav file is played on a computer and if the output is recognized and played as 5.1 DTS/5.1Dolby Digital by a decoder, say a home theater receiver, via S/PDIF then the output is bit perfect. I have been using this approach by downloading such files from www.kellyindustries.com/sounds.html say, www.kellyindustries.com/downloads/dts_the_other_side_44khz_wav.zip and this approach works. I use such file and connect the S/PDIF out to an old Yamaha receiver and if the stream is bit perfect, it shows either 5.1 DTS or 5.1 Dolby Digital logo and plays the song. If I change the bit depth or sample rate using a wav editor (Sony Sound Forge) all I get is static and no logo. If I try to play this file via computer’s speaker all I get static via Winamp and Windows Media Player, however, VLC player does recognize and plays it fine. Even VLC player gives static if any manipulation is done to the file. This is a sure method, however, one need an external DTS/Dolby Digital to check the S/PDIF output. This is the approach I used with J River Media Jukebox 12 on XP. The HiFace kernel driver appears under Direct Sound but my Yamaha receiver shows the DTS/DD logo and plays the song.

What methods do you use to ensure bit perfection? Chris! What is your method? All of you, please share.

2. I posted the second question a while ago here but there were no satisfactory answers. All those Iphone/Itouch fans, come on; accept it that the screen is too small for a satisfactory remote for a media server. Ipad does look promising but how to control J River Media Center via Ipad without using remote desktop application?

Regards

Hi new2hifi - I use a few different methods to check for bit transparency when possible.

1. Play an HDCD file and watch for the HDCD light to illuminate on my DAC. This is not 100%, but I can guarantee if the HDCD light is not illuminated then something is for sure incorrect in the playback chain.

2. Talk to a great source in the industry who has very expensive testing equipment and extensive knowledge. He designed his own bit transparency test.

3. Use the Weiss Engineering DAC202's built-in bit transparency checker.

To control J River Media Center I use PlugPlayer. Enable the DLNA feature in JRMC and the remote control will look like these pictures on the iPad. It's pretty nice.

Click To Enlarge.

plugplayer-horizontal-thumb.jpg plugplayer-vertical-thumb.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I am awaiting delivery of my hiface from tweekgeek.

In the meantime I have been following a discussion on Head-fi which recommends using the Hiface plugged into a USB hub with its own separate 5V power supply.

Has anybody on this site tried such a set up ?

Hi All:

Thanks Chris for sharing your methods. However, I have two questions regarding your methods.

1. Where can we get a free HDCD encoded wav file?

2 This is about Weiss Engineering DAC202's built-in bit transparency checker or in fact all such schemes.

Let's say we have a 44.1/16 file. Now, using wav editor I change the sampling frequency to 96kHz and then again downsample to 44.1kHz. Because of sampling error the resultant file is far from original. Now I play this file and outputs to Weiss Engineering DAC202, even if the output path is bit perfect how it can possibly know that I have already manipulated the file? It can’t, because it has no clue about the original file, it has no reference. However, if you do the same the with DST/DD encoded wav file, it will not be recognized as 5.1 DST/DD and only static will be heard. Open or hidden DSPs can do such file manipulation. Also, I am not pushing my approach but just trying to find the best one.

Now Chris and I have mentioned some methods, where are others? Hi All! Please share how do you test for bit perfection.

Regards

I just got last week-end the Vaunix Lab Brick USB Hub. It is a special 4-port active hub with 12V, 2A external power supply for laboratory test equipment providing 4 5V, 1A USB A connection against the usual 500 mA ports. According to the manufacturer's description:

"Featuring: Ultra low noise performance, Superior voltage regulation for high current devices, Rugged cast aluminum enclosure"

I learnt from an email from their Chief Technology Officer: "...the +5V (VBUS) and the data lines (D+ and D-) are isolated from the host PC. We may also say that the hub is reactively decoupled from the host PC. Alternatively, we can say that the hub (including ground) is well filtered..."

I can say after few days of using it with the HiFace, it works extremely well. Powered from this hub, the HiFace provides more transparent and more fluid music reproduction, better separation at the end of the frequency spectrum, it goes deeper and higher, shows more of the performance.

It is a bit strange to see that one more USB cable and a hub, so more electronics and connection works better than the simpler direct connection, but it is definitely the case, at least in my system. I tried with three different DACs at the end of the HiFace and the result was always very similar, practically identical. I found it not too picky with the USB cables, I tried few different cheap cable and a Kimber USB and their effect was non existing. Again, at least in my system, ymmv.

It is not cheap, costs more than the HiFace itself, but I think it is money well spent.

From M2Tech

HiFace EVO

USB-to-S/PDIF interface, based on the same technology as hiFace, but with many improvements. Hosted in a nice brushed aluminum case (105 x 100 x 46mm), with B-type female USB connector. Main features:

- input for external supply (7 to 11VDC);

- input for external Master Clock (BNC with transformer);

- 2 x S/PDIF outputs (RCA and 75 Ohms BNC);

- AES/EBU output with XLR connector and settable format (consumer and provessional) by an internal jumper;

- Toslink output;

- ST output;

- direct I2S output with 3.3V interface.

All outputs (except I2S) are transformer-decoupled to avoid ground noise and EMI interference. Three leds indicate power, data stream in input and external clock presence.

A technical note: some customers complained because of the lack of sampling frequency encoding in the S/PDIF stream of the present hiFace. The new model will have this fixed, for full compliance with the standard.