IGNORED

Just received: M2Tech Hiface USB interface

It's a release from the company, I don't know how the technologies are alike. Yes, it's a new product from M2Tech.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

"All outputs (except I2S) are transformer-decoupled to avoid ground noise and EMI interference."

Has anyone yet figured out how to galvanically isolate signals containing 4X sampling rates without converting to S/PDIF?

Since this topic is about the original hiface, let's concentrate about the new version in its own topic here, ok?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/M2Tech-Evo-and-DAC-details-and-photo

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

Just returned my Hiface!

Used Windows 7 32bit, Netbook Dell 1012, Foobar 1.021 with KS plugin > Hiface coax 1.0.3 > Cambridge DAC Magic II.

I read that clicking was assumed to be solved, but it isn't!

Everytime I manually switch songs I can hear it clicking.

This happens only with KS and ASIO. With DS (direct sound) there is no problem. But, did I buy Hiface to use DS?! No!

M2Tech told me to use longer latency, but this has a new side effect: when switching songs you have to wait the latency time: meaning, in case you set 2s it takes 2s to switch to the next song.

I have no idea whether it is a SW or HW problem, but it is annoying.

I tried to set Foobar's crossfader to smoothen transitions between the songs, but still clicking.

I am not sure if WASAPI mode helped, because I had problems using it.

So, any ideas? I really like the Hiface, but please improve that clicking thing!

cheers,

Martin

It is definitively a latency issue. The more latency, less clicking will occur. The lag is a consequence of the higher latency, but better to have lag than clicking.

JRiver MC 15 WASAPI works fine though.

No it helps a lot, as I mentioned, according to my experience and in my system.

It is good to hear that you think a true regulated clock (theoretically) would even help more, but based on my real experience not on a theory, I can say it works very well, and you do not need to open the box and modify the Hiface. It is one of the very few possible way to make the HiFace's sound better without open it.

I got it directly from the manufacturer. It has an external wall brick 12V, 2A, 24W ordinary power supply then this is converted, filtered on a tricky way internally to 5V and 1A per port (it has 4 ports). I think the 12V power supply is international, so you do not need and external transformer for any voltage, but I will check it, if you want. I just connected it to our 230V and it worked. Like it so much, gives me a piece of mind not to connect the quite heavy HiFace directly to one of the two USB ports on my old black MacBook. I use it to power an external 320 GB Hard drive, an Amarra dongle and the HIFace and works without any problem.

I got a chance to compare it to Weiss DAC2 as FW-SPDIF converter and it was very much comparable, driving a Naim DAC from both using the same Naim DC-1 coax cable, both were excellent on a bit different way. I did not get a chance to try it against something like INT202. The HiFace is definitely much "better" than a TCElectronics Konnekt, I have few friends selling Konnekt 8 and 24D (using them as FW-SPDIF interface only) after they tried HiFace.

Be aware it is just my taste: YMMV.

Those comparisons are based on using the original HiFace with no Vaunix hub power.

We ordered it from the manufacturer directly as ordered more than one for different purposes, were not using the webshop.

Using it has all sorts of benefits across the board, it makes the music reproduction more transparent, better flow of music are the most important for me. YMMV. It works in my system where the DAC, preamps and the computer are connected to Audience aR6p power conditioner. I connected the hub to the power conditioner too.

@jkeny

How can you justify your post as anything other than an advert for your product / modifications?

As for improvements over the original HiFace; well the M2Tech Evo may do that...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

After buying the stock hiFace (BNC), I was so impressed by the sound that I ordered the modified hiFace from John Kenny in Dublin. When I introduced the hiFace mod to my system the improvement over the stock hiFace was not subtle.

It seemed to take all of the hiFace's qualities and exploit them; better separation and clarity. But what I found most impressive was the way the mod removed the edge. Music sounded easier, more present. Fluid.

Look, I'm not a reviewer and don't understand how to describe various degrees of improvement, but this mod (for me - and for the wife) was clearly a win.

Unfortunately, the bliss only lasted about 4 or 5 hours. When I connected the 6A charger that Mr. Kenny recommended, it fried the power switch. Game over. John was incredibly responsive to my emails through the entire troubleshooting process, but the unit had to go back to Ireland. John is no longer recommending that charger!

But if you’re wondering if the mod makes a noticeable difference, you'll hear it in the first few minutes. I did, and I miss it.

MichiGoon[br]PS Audio Power Plant Premier >> Oyen MiniPro 1TB External 2.5-in FireWire 800HD >> Mac Mini 2.53GHz/4GB with Amarra Mini 2.2 >> Ridge Street Audio Poiema USB cable >> Ayre Qb-9 (or) Tranquility SE DAC >> Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II ic> Arcam AVR350 >> Acoustic Zen Shotgun Double Barrel >> Vandersteen 2Ce speakers (combination of LessLoss and VH Audio power cables w/dedicated circuits)[br]

Look jkeny ... Chris is pretty relaxed about the rules for manufacturers / commercial ventures here but you were pushing them rather.

Basically he asks that commercial ventures do not post about their products unless a question is asked directly. The first post you made was directly in breach of those rules. The second post talked about how to do the mods - which most people here (I think) would be unhappy doing themselves - which could lead people to searching for commercial company doing the mods; i.e. You.

Also no-one asked about modding the HiFace in the first place. So your initial post wasn't even responding to someone's question. It's like if someone was asking about the HRT Streamers, and Gordon (from Wavelength) posted that Wavelength make some very good DACs (not that he would do that - just an example of bad behavior).

As Chris said in removing your post ... "If in doubt, don't post it". It's pretty simple.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.