Press Release:

See the new Mytek Clef™ Mobile Hi-Res Audio Amplifier /

DAC / MQA Decoder at LVCC's High-Resolution Audio Pavilion

2017 CES, January 5-8 - Mytek of New York City, manufacturer of the critically acclaimed Brooklyn and Manhattan II DACs, is introducing at CES their new Mytek Clef™ mobile hi-res audio headphone amplifier + DAC, offering up to 24 bit/192k and DSD128 playback, with driverless USB Class 2, MQA capability, plus AptX Bluetooth and AAC.It’s a powerful high fidelity headphone amplifier, including a Hi-Res Sabre 9018 DAC chipset, easily driving quality headphones at twice the volume of typical smartphones.

Tentatively priced at $299 MSRP, and expected to ship in Q2, 2017, the Mytek Clef is designed to drive most demanding high quality headphones and in-ear monitors, providing portable hi-res music playback anywhere. It can also be coupled wirelessly with any Smartphone, tablet or computer via Bluetooth AptX — or AAC connection to iPhone 7.

Uniquely, it is the world’s second portable device (after Meridian’s Explorer 2) to offer high resolution MQA™ music playback when connected to a computer via mini-USB.The Mytek Clef also allows for taking the phone calls while listening to music through non-microphone headphones and has a host of additional hi-res DSP audio features.The new Mytek Clef can be seen on display at the 2017 CES High-Resolution Audio Pavilion, Booth 14546, at the LVCC’s Central Hall.

mytek-clef-01a.jpg

mytek-clef-02a.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

If the big knob is a volume control, it will enable me to get around the Android external DAC volume issue. I hope it doesn't consumer too much power from the phone to work right.

It's either a volume knob or a heat-sink so I'm going with the former as that makes more sense. ;-)

Hopefully you will get one for review!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

As a volume knob, it would be unpractical, since you need to hold the player steady while turning the knob. And if you carry the player in a pocket, the knob will turn by itself.

A wheel (Walkman style) would be better.

Or they should have added a handle:

71U7bgkrWBL._SL1500_.jpg

Claude

As a volume knob, it would be unpractical, since you need to hold the player steady while turning the knob. And if you carry the player in a pocket, the knob will turn by itself.

A wheel (Walkman style) would be better.

Or they should have added a handle:

Good point. The shape of the whole thing is a bit strange. I'll have a look on Thursday at CES.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The shape was probably a requirement of the MQA license. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Lol!.. It sure looks weird and funny!.. But It is also very tiny and convenient and that bluetooth wireless connectivity surely adds plus points regarding convenience and ease of use which are more highly regarded from smartphone owners who are the target group it is clearly targeted at..

24/192 DSD128 And MQA are certainly already too much for the diet It is more likely to handle which will mostly be lossy streaming by a great margin. However It is more flexible than any of It's competitors since It has dsd the meridian explorer lacks and 24/192, DSD and MQA the similarly chipped Audioquest Dragonfly Red can not handle since it is only 24/96 pcm able..

Also the wireless capability aiming to the most popular current and future apple products out there leaves It's competitors to the dust as far as convenience and compatibility goes.. Since it can't be that bad sonically being a Mytek Product I believe It is going to be a major Hit..

I wonder did they manage to fit a battery in there as well?.. That would be the cherry to this very promising pie..

However It is more flexible than any of It's competitors.

Except for the iFi Audio products. They offer DSD 128 in their iDSD LE for only $129 and DSD 128 and DSD 256 in their popular iDSD Nano for $199.

The new Mytek product is more than twice the price of the iDSD LE. Oh well....

nano – iDSD LE

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-ican/

Except for the iFi Audio products. They offer DSD 128 in their iDSD LE for only $129 and DSD 128 and DSD 256 in their popular iDSD Nano for $199.

The new Mytek product is more than twice the price of the iDSD LE. Oh well....

nano – iDSD LE

nano – iCAN

Please remember this is not a contest her and I am burring in my brand new Idsd black label by Ifi which so far has left me speechless so no I am not biased because also own a Brooklyn.

The iDsd LE will be a killer product on it's own but is aimed at a slightly different potential consumer one who will value Proper Rca outputs, analogue volume and a "classic" audiophile approach more then portability coolness and comfort.. It is a fantastic dac (I once owned it's first cousin the nano) but It seriously lacks in on the go convenience and connectivity with the latest apple smartphones and use in one's pocket..

The clef potential customer will care mostly for the cool factor and the headphone quality upgrade in iPhone sevens and upward rather than a double purpose (desktop and transportable) device then the Ifi LE is.. That is why i mentioned it's main competitors as the Meridian Explorer And Audioquest Dragonfly which are aimed at the same part of the market..

The clef potential customer will care mostly for the cool factor and the headphone quality upgrade in iPhone sevens and upward rather than a double purpose (desktop and transportable) device then the Ifi LE is.. That is why i mentioned it's main competitors as the Meridian Explorer And Audioquest Dragonfly which are aimed at the same part of the market..

Paying more than twice as much for the Mytek, Meridian or AudioQuest.

It can be expensive to be cool.... :)

Hi fi toys especially shiny new cool ones were never cheap.. People easily spend twice as much for a usb cable and though not cheap the clef will cost a third of the price of an iphone7 and just a little higher than those ridiculous airbuds from apple but will pair as easily with an iPhone seriously upgrading it's fidelity.

If low price is the ultimate priority there are many other options a lot cheaper if we include the various offerings from China.. There is also the choice of someone being content with his smartphone's head phone output which costs nothing extra and some smartphones have truly remarkable head phone outputs quality wise..

Paying more than twice as much for the Mytek, Meridian or AudioQuest.

It can be expensive to be cool.... :)

I use it mainly as a desktop headphone amp and in my second man cave system.. It is truly worth the sacrifice though, It is simnifically better than the regular one a Bargain in my opinion and It has not yet burned in properly. Sorry for the off topic..

Had the clef in hand today. Volume knob (Sabre digital volume) pushes in and acts as multifunction switch. Avail in summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile