IGNORED

Lampizator Golden Atlantic DAC

If your system is not TOTALLY fully balanced, I would go with the SE version. If it is, then I would do DSD only as you say.

Thanks Norman! Yes, totally balanced system. I already ordered the GA, balanced, DSD only. Probably 4-5 weeks until delivery. :-)~

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Just a straightforward question regarding the volume option - does adding this basically turn the unit into a preamp as well? And if so, why would anyone NOT get the volume option?

I've been asking myself this question many times, without really coming to a definite answer I guess it's system dependent and due to personal taste and/or requirements. Common arguments for a preamp is usually lack of dynamics and lifeless sound by going directly from the DAC to a poweramp, arguments for not having a preamp in the chain is usually that less is more, cables and electronics that adds their own flavour in the mix wants to be avoided. The quality of the source is becoming more important, and technical things like impedance matching could be an issue, but in the case of LampizatOr's I would argue that you will not want to hide the potential of such a capable high quality source if possible. I have the volume control in my Lampi, do I feel it's lacking in dynamics or otherwise? Not really. Am I happy with the sound? Absolutely. Am I curious what a high quality passive TVC based preamp from Bespoke Audio or Music First or even some tube preamp could add to the mix? Sure! But that would add some serious money both for the preamp and the cables. Maybe for a future upgrade, but right now I'm happy as it is....

There are 2 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Wouldn't that be 10 people? :)

Thanks to all! I blame @ronfint. He allowed me to listen to his Atlantic in his system. I've never had a tube in any of my systems. Listening to the Atlantic (and Ron's awesome LP rips) answered the questions I had about possible "rolloff", softness or slowness. We played all variety of music, and it was music-it was all there. It seemed like there were no speakers, the way we want our systems to sound.

I was thankful that Rob at LampiNA was able to get a DSD512 Atlantic for me to listen to in my system. Listening to that sealed it for me. I traded off the PCM/DSD256 for the balanced outputs. The McIntosh MCT450/D150 combo is, to my ears, the equal of the Atlantic on PCM. The HQPlayer-served DSD512 through the Atlantic was a considerable step up! I wasn't really ready for how full, liquid and natural it is. Happy!

I don't expect that the Golden will be night and day better, but I won't be disappointed if it is. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Wouldn't that be 10 people? :)

You're right of course....it's just my silly twist on it.... :)

May I ask what people mean when they say a "fully" balanced system? The only balanced interconnect I have is DAC to amp - to DAC is a firewire cable, and from amp i speaker cable. Is that fully balanced?

There are 2 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

I don't expect that the Golden will be night and day better, but I won't be disappointed if it is. [emoji41]

Then be prepared to be pleasantly surprised ;)

As much as I REALLY love the Atlantic Plus, the Golden Atlantic is just so much better.

The GA is a veritable giant slayer! As is the Atlantic Plus, but on a lower level. Perfomormance- and price-wise...

You're right of course....it's just my silly twist on it.... :)

May I ask what people mean when they say a "fully" balanced system? The only balanced interconnect I have is DAC to amp - to DAC is a firewire cable, and from amp i speaker cable. Is that fully balanced?

For me it is Dac bal to Preamp fully bal to Amp fully balanced.

There are a lot of FALSE balanced gear that accept the plugs but are not truly differentially balanced internally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bit the bullet and upgraded to the balanced Golden Atlantic. I should receive it in the next few weeks.

Quick question - do the Atlantics support I2S over USB? I'm currently playing around with the filters on HQPlayer. 

TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator Golden Atlantic, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 60th Ann. (*2), Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-3, LCD-4
Mobile: AK240, Shure 846
8 hours ago, leftside said:

Quick question - do the Atlantics support I2S over USB? I'm currently playing around with the filters on HQPlayer. 

No, it is straight asynchronous USB.   Not possible to do I2S.  

Congrats on the GA!  Get ready for a DAC that has less of its "own sound".  The GA is way more neutral and detailed than the Plus I listened to before getting my GA.

Enjoy!