IGNORED

Lampizator Golden Atlantic DAC

nice way to recycle "obsolete" gear ;-)

classic win-win situation ;-)

haha... yeah, it started to get a little old... :) no, but seriously it was a true win-win as you say, as I switched amp I needed to move to balanced + volume and then a great opportunity opened up to get a Golden instead. I hadn't really thought about replacing the Atlantic, but I really needed that balanced + volume option. Everybody is happy in the end....

Unfortunately it was a bit difficult for me to compare them as "everything" is different in my chain and as it turned out I had to let go of my old amp before I got the Golden... so Let's just say they're both great... :) If money is not a concern, Golden is amazing, if you need to buy food every now and then, standard Atlantic rocks your socks! Also I still need to put some hundred more hours on the new one....

• 2 weeks later...

The copper does look nice next to a wooden shelf.

TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator Golden Atlantic, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 60th Ann. (*2), Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-3, LCD-4
Mobile: AK240, Shure 846

Hi all, quick question on the correct driver for Win 10. The Lampi manual and web page link to 2 different locations for the driver. The manual links to a page with drivers showing a Combo384 1057 that lists up to Win 8 and a different one that includes Win 10. The website links to a page that only shows the 1057 Win 8. I'm using a Win 10 NAA so I should use the Driver that includes Win 10, correct? (Thanks for answering this stupid question!). I expect delivery today of a DSD512 only, super clocks, tube recti Atlantic from Rob to demo! I keep,looking down the street for the UPS truck. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Hi all, quick question on the correct driver for Win 10. The Lampi manual and web page link to 2 different locations for the driver. The manual links to a page with drivers showing a Combo384 1057 that lists up to Win 8 and a different one that includes Win 10. The website links to a page that only shows the 1057 Win 8. I'm using a Win 10 NAA so I should use the Driver that includes Win 10, correct? (Thanks for answering this stupid question!). I expect delivery today of a DSD512 only, super clocks, tube recti Atlantic from Rob to demo! I keep,looking down the street for the UPS truck. :-)

Yes, that's correct. OS = Win10, driver should be Win10 as well.

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

I need a little assistance getting the Atlantic going. On Win 10 the Combo384 driver seemed to install correctly. With direct USB to DAC, using HQPlayer it sees the ASIO on Backend and the Combo384 in Device. HQP indicates playback is going but no sound! HQP also sees it through the NAA from my server PC.

The Amanero 1.0.57 and the Combo384 ASIO64 show in Control Panel / Programs. HQP sees the Amanero. If I wiggle one of the tubes I get static through that channel so I think the outputs of the unit are Ok.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Please disregard my previous post. I'm up and going now. I hadn't seated the output tubes. I was worried about the PCB the sockets are mounted on! Impressions to come in a few days.

Good thing Jay! Look forward to your listening impressions!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Finally I was able to take a photo that shows the copper shine of Golden Atlantic:

Michal, that looks fantastic! Those LM amps are world beaters.

I know you might have mentioned before but what tubes are your running now?

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Michal, that looks fantastic! Those LM amps are world beaters.

I know you might have mentioned before but what tubes are your running now?

Hi Nikhil

Now I have Tungsram ECC83 (also Mullard), 310A are OTK (USSR 1960s), 300B are KR, and latest upgrade 845 WE replica Psvane. Amp is really great and pair with GA it makes a very well matched system.

Please disregard my previous post. I'm up and going now. I hadn't seated the output tubes. I was worried about the PCB the sockets are mounted on! Impressions to come in a few days. Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

The seating of the output tubes into that flexible PCB is a terrible design - especially considering how expensive the DAC is. It gives the first time user a bad impression of an otherwise wonderful DAC.

I see you have a D150 DAC. I did a lot of A/B comparisons with the D100 DAC. I imagine your D150 will be for sale soon.... :) I'd like to compare the new Mac D1100 to the Atlantic, but I have a feeling I'll still prefer the Atlantic sound.

TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator Golden Atlantic, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 60th Ann. (*2), Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-3, LCD-4
The seating of the output tubes into that flexible PCB is a terrible design - especially considering how expensive the DAC is. It gives the first time user a bad impression of an otherwise wonderful DAC.

I see you have a D150 DAC. I did a lot of A/B comparisons with the D100 DAC. I imagine your D150 will be for sale soon.... :) I'd like to compare the new Mac D1100 to the Atlantic, but I have a feeling I'll still prefer the Atlantic sound.

I didn't want to break anything with my opportunity to hear the DSD512 with it sitting right there all hooked up in MY rack! Rob at Lampi NA said pop 'em in, and all was good.

I think the D150 punches above its price. It's a Wadia DAC married to a McIntosh output stage. Wish they would open it up to DSD256 like the newer DAC/Pre offerings. In any event, I will be keeping it and the MCT450 transport for a while because it will take me a few more years to rip the rest of my CDs and SACDs. Been buying them since '84. 2 1/2 TB worth so far and about 3000 left to go!

I ran the Atlantic Plus demo unit overnight to warm up and have been avoiding the home office all day to listen. [emoji41] I've run through Airto Moreira, Brian Bromberg, Herbert von Karajan Berliner Phil., live Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic and Paul Simon so far. Very nice music coming out of the Wilson Sabrinas through the C500 pre. I would imagine a balanced Golden will be even better.

More impressions in a few days!

I didn't realize you also have a C500. I purchased one last month and it pairs very well with the Atlantic. For headphone output I use a Woo WA22. I was a little concerned about 3 "layers" of tubes but it's totally quiet.

Can someone confirm that DSD512 works? I have two different Amanero interfaces and neither of them can do 512 without noise/distortion.

Also, does anyone know what DAC chip is used for DSD decoding?

Only works with Windows ASIO driver. It is Chipless DSD, so no Dac chip whatsoever.

AFAIK, the Win8 version works for Win10 too:

https://amanero.com/drivers/combo384_drivers_xp_win7_win8_1057.zip

Can someone confirm that DSD512 works? I have two different Amanero interfaces and neither of them can do 512 without noise/distortion.

Also, does anyone know what DAC chip is used for DSD decoding?

Confirmed. Lampi Atlantic with the Amanero on Win 10. Both 22.x and 24.y MHz DSD512 playing perfectly. No issues at all!

OK it's a few days into listening to the Atlantic Plus that I have been "demoing". It has both the PCM/DAD256 and the DSD512 modules, both Superclocks, all inputs and SE out. The button on the front switches the two DAC modules. The Atlantic has performed flawlessly, and other than the switch between the modules can be like an audio appliance - switch on and run. Very nice!

My setup is; HQPlayer on Win10 Server PC-Win10 NAA ASIO-DAC-McIntosh C500P (solid state)

Sols, my buddies in Liechtenstein who had a demo Atlantic+ for 2 months (with both superclocks and DSD512)and now bought the GA, says that the GA is an order of magnitude better. That is hard to swallow as the demo units was bad to the bone!

Arrrrrgh! Can't wait for CA to switch over to the new version - I got cutoff from editing. Here is the whole thing:

OK it's a few days into listening to the Atlantic Plus that I have been "demoing". It has both the PCM/DSD256 and the DSD512 modules, both Superclocks, all inputs, no Volume, and SE out. The button on the front switches the two DAC modules. The Atlantic has performed flawlessly, and other than the switch between the modules can be like an audio appliance - switch on and run. No pops, clicks, noise or hum. Very nice!

My setup is; HQPlayer on Win10 Server PC-network switch-Win10 NAA ASIO-DAC-McIntosh C500P (solid state)-McIntosh MC402-Wilson Sabrina. My current transport/DAC is the McIntosh MCT450/D150. The D150 takes up to DSD128, but not at both 44 and 48 rates. They had issues with the ASIO driver and never really got it right. So that I could compare to my current, I used the Intona and UpTone REGEN USB decrapifiers. I also use a Baaske Ethernet isolator. The computer stuff, the front end and the amp are on 3 separate PS Audio AC regenerators on 2 dedicated power lines.

My overall impression so far is that this can be one of the most musical DACs that I've heard. And it takes a while of listening to different music to realize that it isn't just that it's soft or over rounded, it has all of the detail just none of the tizzy sizzle. I found myself paying attention more to the music and not to the sound. From soft to loud.

I listened to both DAC modules, and to both PCM and DSD through that module. To my ears, on PCM the D150 and the Atlantic were very similar in sound and both really equal when I fed the Atlantic 384K vs the CD thru the D150. At a little lower price but pretty close to a base Atlantic, I'd have to give the nod to the D150. Same for at least DSD128 thru this module. DSD256 was as expected a little better.

Now let's talk about the reason that I am interested in the Atlantic, the awesome DSD512 module. I'm still trying the different filters / modulators in HQP using mostly pot-sinc-shrt or now xtr-mp and ADSDM7 512+. Because some of the stuff I listen to sounded so beautiful I can tell some of it actually was recorded/mastered like crap, dammit. I was hoping it was all my system! Not even this DAC fixes that problem. ;-)

That's it for now, I have to place an order. Anybody suggest different settings for HQP? I have to play around more with DSD upsampling, it's a whole new thing for me. Then I have to wait until my unit gets built!

This unit may be available for demo in the US next week. Contact Rob at Lampi NA.

Working out the configuration for the Golden Atlantic and we ran into a problem. Tube recti, balanced, PCM/DSD256, and DSD512 module will not all fit in the Atlantic size case. To keep the DSD512 - for me a requirement - I will need to drop the PCM or the balanced. My preference is to drop PCM and keep the balanced out.

Everything will fit in the Big 7 but it needs a few upgrades (extra clock, R2R PCM is extra, the better tubes, but it has the capacitors) and the price would be about the same as the GA. But the case is very deep and limits the location in my racks to the open top shelf. Not the end of the world, but will be very interesting looking. And it is bigger than my amp!

Does anyone have experience to compare the Atlantic type sound to Big 7 type? Thanks!

I already have a preamp, so less is better when it comes to a DAC for me.

Working out the configuration for the Golden Atlantic and we ran into a problem. Tube recti, balanced, PCM/DSD256, and DSD512 module will not all fit in the Atlantic size case. To keep the DSD512 - for me a requirement - I will need to drop the PCM or the balanced. My preference is to drop PCM and keep the balanced out.

Everything will fit in the Big 7 but it needs a few upgrades (extra clock, R2R PCM is extra, the better tubes, but it has the capacitors) and the price would be about the same as the GA. But the case is very deep and limits the location in my racks to the open top shelf. Not the end of the world, but will be very interesting looking. And it is bigger than my amp!

Does anyone have experience to compare the Atlantic type sound to Big 7 type? Thanks!

If your system is not TOTALLY fully balanced, I would go with the SE version. If it is, then I would do DSD only as you say.

Just a straightforward question regarding the volume option - does adding this basically turn the unit into a preamp as well? And if so, why would anyone NOT get the volume option?

If you have multiple inputs and engines, the vol control also acts as a remote input switch. Very convenient to swich from R2R to DSD512 engine and also between SPDIF and USB and analog pass thru.