IGNORED

Chances Are Our Hearing Didn't Evolve "To Do" Anything

Jud

Yes, I did read it. This isn't my list - I transcribed the list that was on the blog for the purpose of asking for comments in order to continue to learn more about the subject.

Well there are many terms to be understood but chromosome territories and even an early reference: https://epub.ub.uni-muenchen.de/9272/1/cremer_thomas_9272.pdf

Can't fill in all the blanks here -- but there needs to be an infrastructure which holds the interphase chromosomes into place. So parts of the DNA need to stick together and to form the supercoils etc.

also LTRs in the telomere and very very important role of telomeres -- so many many things that "silent" sequences do -- even transcribed RNA has activity even when no protein produced -- another whole line of activity

Sigh ... so many options that I'm surprised anyone would think they "know" a particular sequence is "junk"

Is there really someone who thinks they are that smart that they "know"?!

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Yes actually interesting that one of the people whose early work formed the foundation for "LINES" started her career wanting to understand the neurobiology of schizophrenia but now more broadly in the chromosome territory camp -- so I think these sequences might have dual functionality -- biodiversity as I said above but also chromosome structure -- part of the machinery that turns regions on and off.

I took it from the article that LINES may be involved in nuclear architecture and through that functionality.

Right so if you aren't even thinking about that then you draw totally wrong conclusion.

But there's more ... what @wgscott quoted ... now think about the implications of that ... do you see?

It like ?nonfunctional? Woa...

Right so if you aren't even thinking about that then you draw totally wrong conclusion.

These would be separate from the SARS referred to in the list?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Right! So this is amazingly huge!

This is the new paradigm and understanding that throws the whole understanding of gene mutations and natural selection literally on its head ... not just neurobiology but we have an entire mechanism whereby genetic diversity is actively created ... throws the whole "molecular clock" right out the door.

Demonstrates active mechanisms for gene diversity (not the most of fashioned nuclei acid gets whacked by a cosmic ray)

That *and* the active regions around SNPs ... so this machinery which idiots think is "junk" is probably more important for genetic diversity than anything ... consequently "evolution" (but frankly I don't think in those terms)

So @Jud throw that whole blog analysis right OTD because it is based on fundamentally flawed concepts...

This is the new paradigm and understanding that throws the whole understanding of gene mutations and natural selection literally on its head ... not just neurobiology but we have an entire mechanism whereby genetic diversity is actively created ... throws the whole "molecular clock" right out the door.

Demonstrates active mechanisms for gene diversity (not the most of fashioned nuclei acid gets whacked by a cosmic ray)

So we don't have to have as much sex? :(

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Click here to see my junk.

Ah yes, hammerheads.

Ah yes, hammerheads.

Well, everyone thinks the UTR sequences are junk, but it turns out they are involved in a lot of regulatory mechanisms. Similarly, it that self-cleaving sequence is found in a lot of the junk DNA (or more accurately transcripts of that junk DNA) in salamanders, as well as plant viruses, etc.

Well, everyone thinks the UTR sequences are junk, but it turns out they are involved in a lot of regulatory mechanisms. Similarly, it that self-cleaving sequence is found in a lot of the junk DNA (or more accurately transcripts of that junk DNA) in salamanders, as well as plant viruses, etc.

In your paper, the two fairly widely separated fragments in a non-conserved region would ordinarily be dismissed as junk?

In your paper, the two fairly widely separated fragments in a non-conserved region would ordinarily be dismissed as junk?

No, but it is one very small and minor example of sequences (or more accurately, their transcripts) having roles that were previously not known.

The main point is that there is a lot more going on with non-coding sequences than we currently know.

This is an(other) example of a set of sequences with ***more than one function*** in what is incorrectly termed "junk" because it is not translated into protein.

1) the regions surrounding an exon are sometimes considered in the junk because they don't specify a protein, but rather they are involved in the gene's regulation

2) these specific regions form their own RNA based enzyme.

an example of something once considered "junk" which does something really cool... biology is smarter than we are ;)

This is an(other) example of a set of sequences with ***more than one function*** in what is incorrectly termed "junk" because it is not translated into protein.

1) the regions surrounding an exon are sometimes considered in the junk because they don't specify a protein, but rather they are involved in the gene's regulation

2) these specific regions form their own RNA based enzyme.

an example of something once considered "junk" which does something really cool... biology is smarter than we are ;)

I don't know how many scientists working in the field ever considered conserved non-protein-coding regulatory sequences to be junk. Whatever the defects of the list above, it doesn't go that far.

No, but it is one very small and minor example of sequences (or more accurately, their transcripts) having roles that were previously not known.

You are being modest: this is an entire layer of functionality not taught in typical undergraduate cell biology-- at least that's what the guy who discovered the ribosome told me ;)

I don't know how many scientists working in the field ever considered conserved non-protein-coding regulatory sequences to be junk. Whatever the defects of the list above, it doesn't go that far.

Yeah well its hard for me to keep track of who said what that I don't agree with, and I'm not suggesting that you agree with all the nonsense out there, but someone said this (and quoted some other people saying stuff): When "Junk" DNA Isn't Junk

Yeah well its hard for me to keep track of who said what that I don't agree with, and I'm not suggesting that you agree with all the nonsense out there, but someone said this (and quoted some other people saying stuff): When "Junk" DNA Isn't Junk

Oy.

Jud, I asked you this earlier but you (conveniently) didn't bother to answer so I ask you again: How exactly does the paper you mentioned in your original post support your claim that "Chances Are Our Hearing Didn't Evolve To Do Anything?" Regardless whether so-called 'junk DNA/RNA' is functional or not, your claim is (obviously) nonsensical IMO.

Jud, I asked you this earlier but you (conveniently) didn't bother to answer so I ask you again: How exactly does the paper you mentioned in your original post support your claim that "Chances Are Our Hearing Didn't Evolve To Do Anything?" Regardless whether so-called 'junk DNA/RNA' is functional or not, your claim is (obviously) nonsensical IMO.

You read the article very differently from me, to the extent that after my original post and further response in comment #5 in the thread, you assess my take as obvious nonsense. That's fine. Do you see any reason why a third explanation would have a different result? If not, why should we expend our efforts to wind up at exactly the same place?

It is pretty durn certain that somebody's hearing evolved to do something. Most likely to sense vibrations.

I now propose that we discuss whether a shark placed near an electrodynamic speaker driver will avert from the magnetic field.

Seems most likely from reading the forum that our fingers evolved to type stuff about MQA.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile