IGNORED

Supra Ethernet Cat 8 Galvanically isolated?

Does anyone know if the Supra Ethernet Cat 8 cables are galvanically isolated? Are the grounds disconnected at both ends like BlueJeans Cat 6a?

I noticed a metal adding around the connector itself which I've read is detrimental to the grounding?

Anyone compare Supra Cat 8 to Bluejeans Cat 6a?

Thanks in advance.

Steven

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

I removed the metal RJ45 cover from one end.

ps... I only bought the Supra because it was going very cheap and was short at 0.5m, I can't say it's any better than my DIY short cat6.

Shielded cat 6 and 7 is fine but don't use a metal cover at both ends, keep all cables as short as possible.

(Fibre conversion via FMCs (need battery or LPS at server end) should do more than any cat cable alone)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Thanks.

I'm using fiber and linear power supply for it now. Just want to make the best available Ethernet cable into the microRendu. Or is it possible to run fiber directly into it with a Trendnet sfp module. I've never seen one or used one but maybe one end is fiber out the other Ethernet in? Just an idea?.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Mc37b147bd37d7a6d0529e31c6703fd9bo0%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

You can only use those with kit that has SFP ports... my router has them.

RJ45 copper is the most common LAN port type so you will probably have to run a short length of CATx from the FMC to your microRendu (unless it has an SPF port?) - just make sure the CAT shield (if using shielded) isn't connected at both ends or you will probably end up electrically joining the GNDs of FMC and your server.

Thanks.

I'm using fiber and linear power supply for it now. Just want to make the best available Ethernet cable into the microRendu. Or is it possible to run fiber directly into it with a Trendnet sfp module. I've never seen one or used one but maybe one end is fiber out the other Ethernet in? Just an idea?.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Mc37b147bd37d7a6d0529e31c6703fd9bo0%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

You can only use those with kit that has SFP ports... my router has them.

RJ45 copper is the most common LAN port type so you will probably have to run a short length of CATx from the FMC to your microRendu (unless it has an SPF port?) - just make sure the CAT shield (if using shielded) isn't connected at both ends or you will probably end up electrically joining the GNDs of FMC and your server.

I've been using BJC CAT6a for years but recently decided to give the Supra CAT8 a try. The BJC has a floating shield whereas the Supra appears to be shielded. When connected to my streamer I realized I was getting a hum in my speakers with the Supra. None of my other cables did this including some very inexpensive Monoprice CAT6. I tried it on my Oppo BDP-93 and there was no hum.

Is my streamer the problem or is it the Supra? I'm about to remove the metal jacket off one end just to see if it will help but I can't help but ask myself why pay a premium for a supposedly high performance audiophile ethernet cable if it's going to introduce a ground loop in the chain? You'd think a premium cable manufacturer would know this. Pay more for a cable, then butcher it?

... agree, but they don't seem to get stuff like this, it's us fellas experimenting together on here that seem to be advancing this area.

I bet their goal was fastest data transfer over distance, instead of SQ gain (or they naturally assumed that max attainable data speed should equal better SQ by default).

I liken it to manufacturers concentrating on their area of interest instead of taking a few steps back and considering the bigger picture - that's what many of us do on here.

It's why IME CA is a valuable resource.

If you do remove the metal cover at one end I expect the hum should go away, not sure what's at fault but the shield shouldn't be connected at both ends, because then you've extended 'the electrical noise network' (he says without any credentials).

;-)

I've been using BJC CAT6a for years but recently decided to give the Supra CAT8 a try. The BJC has a floating shield whereas the Supra appears to be shielded. When connected to my streamer I realized I was getting a hum in my speakers with the Supra. None of my other cables did this including some very inexpensive Monoprice CAT6. I tried it on my Oppo BDP-93 and there was no hum.

Is my streamer the problem or is it the Supra? I'm about to remove the metal jacket off one end just to see if it will help but I can't help but ask myself why pay a premium for a supposedly high performance audiophile ethernet cable if it's going to introduce a ground loop in the chain? You'd think a premium cable manufacturer would know this. Pay more for a cable, then butcher it?

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

... agree, but they don't seem to get stuff like this, it's us fellas experimenting together on here that seem to be advancing this area.

I bet their goal was fastest data transfer over distance, instead of SQ gain (or they naturally assumed that max attainable data speed should equal better SQ by default).

I liken it to manufacturers concentrating on their area of interest instead of taking a few steps back and considering the bigger picture - that's what many of us do on here.

It's why IME CA is a valuable resource.

If you do remove the metal cover at one end I expect the hum should go away, not sure what's at fault but the shield shouldn't be connected at both ends, because then you've extended 'the electrical noise network' (he says without any credentials).

;-)

Removed copper jacket = no more hum. Does it sound better than Monoprice/BJC? Possibly but not sure yet.

One thing for sure is that my next upgrade won't be ridiculously expensive ethernet cables.

+1

Good job, glad it solved the problem.

Removed copper jacket = no more hum. Does it sound better than Monoprice/BJC? Possibly but not sure yet.

One thing for sure is that my next upgrade won't be ridiculously expensive ethernet cables.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

When using shielded cables where the shield is tied to the 8P8C you have to design the entire network around this starting with the equipment rack.

The BJC isn't a problem because their shield is to prohibit vampire loads between cables that are in a large bundle and therefore it's not a grounding shield but absorptive.

The Supra cable is tied to the 8P8C and that is for an environment where there are large amounts of noise that may not be symmetric allowing for CMNR to do it's job. That shield needs to go to rack ground bar.

When using shielded cables where the shield is tied to the 8P8C you have to design the entire network around this starting with the equipment rack.

The BJC isn't a problem because their shield is to prohibit vampire loads between cables that are in a large bundle and therefore it's not a grounding shield but absorptive.

The Supra cable is tied to the 8P8C and that is for an environment where there are large amounts of noise that may not be symmetric allowing for CMNR to do it's job. That shield needs to go to rack ground bar.

Thanks for the explanation. So technically/theoretically speaking which would yield better results in a ''normal'' home environment?

6a cabling operates at a rate that makes it susceptible to adjacent pairs of cabling. 6a is designed for primarily data center 10 and 40 GBe speeds. It's really not a home interconnect.

5e is more than compelling for home environments.

BJC's is a whole floated shield so it can be used interchangeably with UTP cabling. It's not going to benefit a home environment 99.9% of the time.

If you really want to seal the deal, run the metal conduit that electrical wiring get's installed when it comes to commercial environments, or go optical, or best yet, just get wireless.

I have 50MB/S wireless: $19 for the DLink router.

6a cabling operates at a rate that makes it susceptible to adjacent pairs of cabling. 6a is designed for primarily data center 10 and 40 GBe speeds. It's really not a home interconnect.

5e is more than compelling for home environments.

BJC's is a whole floated shield so it can be used interchangeably with UTP cabling. It's not going to benefit a home environment 99.9% of the time.

If you really want to seal the deal, run the metal conduit that electrical wiring get's installed when it comes to commercial environments, or go optical, or best yet, just get wireless.

I have 50MB/S wireless: $19 for the DLink router.

Wireless! Isn't that heresy around here? Actually, the other day, after fiddling around with things I ended up operating wireless without realizing it. It sounded good but I thought to myself this can't be, surely if I took the time to listen closely I would hear a difference but I quickly switched over to ethernet and disabled my router's wireless signal.

Actually between 30ft runs of BJC CAT6a, Monoprice CAT6 UTP and Supra CAT8 and now wireless I can't say I've heard a difference.

• 3 years later...

Had the ground loop issue and came across this discussion

System

Rotel RA1592

Sony Hap Player

Marantz UD Player

Ikura TT

Focal Aria 948

Twin REL S3 subs

Everything had been working just fine then just suddenly the subs started to hum plus a quieter hum from the focals. So started to go through all the earths on the various part All oK. Started to go through the rca interconnects and eliminating component's So all taken down and started to hook up each piece Marantz first connected the interconnects immediate hum. Use an SPDIF ,all OK so thought I was good. Connected TT all OK. Connected the Sony player immediate hum. Bollocks. Thought maybe I need to try some balance leads so ordered some up just to see. Then as I was moving things around I disconnected my CAT 7 cable. No more Hum. Tried it in all the available ports and got the same hum. Swapped out for a Cat 8. still hummed. Then tried an old Cat 5 I had. No more hum. What is going on. So I have my solution but I have no Idea why a higher grade ethernet cable gives out this issue and the lower grade  works just fine. Also why would this not have been a problem from the start an not after many weeks of trouble free listening. So found the fix but not smart enough to know the why