IGNORED

If you thought Roon 1.2 was a hugh upgrade...you ain't seen nothing (V 1.3 is coming!)

ChrisG

Good features. I just hope they focus a bit on the user experience and make it easier to play, manage, and edit my music library. I know it's easy to focus on the gee whiz new features but Roon has lots of room for improvement in terms of basic functionality, especially conpared to less expensive offerings like JRiver.

One comment in this article I found humourous was the reference to not needing HQPlayer anymore to convert to DSD. I am not sure what features Roon will have but I would be surprised if it can compare to HQP in terms of filters, etc. I doubt I will ditching HQP any time soon.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I am looking forward to the PCM=>DSD conversion. Although I like HQPlayer, it is frustrating that every time I restart my DAC (T + A DAC 8 DSD) the HQPlayer NAA needs to be restarted and reselected in HQPlayer. Every other player can find it again!

If this works, I suspect HQPlayer will only be brought out for special occasions....

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

One comment in this article I found humorous was the reference to not needing HQPlayer anymore to convert to DSD. I am not sure what features Roon will have but I would be surprised if it can compare to HQP in terms of filters, etc. I doubt I will ditching HQP any time soon.

Taking on HQ Player - that's a pretty tall mountain to climb. We will see how it turns out when Roon 1.3 arrives.

For now, the Multichannel playback is a bigger plus for me in Roon 1.3 than the suggestion of HQ Player competition.... :)

One comment in this article I found humourous was the reference to not needing HQPlayer anymore to convert to DSD. I am not sure what features Roon will have but I would be surprised if it can compare to HQP in terms of filters, etc. I doubt I will ditching HQP any time soon.

That was sort of silly sarcastic quote by Darko. He doesn't playback DSD at all and probably doesn't really understand what HQP does.

My guess is that the DSD in Roon will be similar to what you get in JRiver. Basic. Not on the level of HQP.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Not needing HQPlayer and all the complexities that come with it is a good thing for simplification. If there is no big hit in sound quality its a winner. I will definitely test it out in my system.

I do remember the roon developers referencing hqplayer as a benchmark on the roon forums.

The eq solution looks interesting but not like a full convolution engine where I can load FIR filters from Acourate.

I hope it's not just bloat for those of us who have no interest in the new features. Presumably we can disable them and not suffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I will just take better file editing and quicker/easier way to play music instead of moving my mouse/finger all over the screen. Lets do the basic things well first I say.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I used Roon for a year. I kept thinking that I just hadn't learned it, but I finally gave up. It has many good features, and it appears that it may be getting more, but as one of the other poster noted, it is not good at doing what one really wants: giving easy, full access to the music. It seems to be designed for people who don't know what to listen to. The playlists and various algorithmic features are good for that, but I have 3tb on a drive and Tidal, so there is a lot of music, and after many years of listening to music and reading about music, thinking about music, I usually know more about what I want to hear than the algorithms. I just bought a Mytek Brooklyn with the xmas bundle which includes a free year of Roon, but it appears that it may be only for first time users. I am trying to find out. At any rate, the integration of the Tidal and the local drive is good idea. For the time being I find flipping between the Tidal app and Media Center to be a better option.

I used Roon for a year. I kept thinking that I just hadn't learned it, but I finally gave up. It has many good features, and it appears that it may be getting more, but as one of the other poster noted, it is not good at doing what one really wants: giving easy, full access to the music. It seems to be designed for people who don't know what to listen to. The playlists and various algorithmic features are good for that, but I have 3tb on a drive and Tidal, so there is a lot of music, and after many years of listening to music and reading about music, thinking about music, I usually know more about what I want to hear than the algorithms. I just bought a Mytek Brooklyn with the xmas bundle which includes a free year of Roon, but it appears that it may be only for first time users. I am trying to find out. At any rate, the integration of the Tidal and the local drive is good idea. For the time being I find flipping between the Tidal app and Media Center to be a better option.

What exactly are you and tboooe talking about re: ease of use? I have about 6,000 albums (~100k tracks) and I don't seem to have any problems finding / playing my music with the existing interface ;)

Not being snarky here, really do want to understand what you guys like / don't like about Roon.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - MacMini running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi wireless > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > iFi Audio xDSD + iFi Audio xCAN > Focal Elegia

Home Theater - Mac Mini running Roon Server > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Pioneer Elite SC-81 > MartinLogan Motion series home theater speakers + M&K subwoofer

What exactly are you and tboooe talking about re: ease of use? I have about 6,000 albums (~100k tracks) and I don't seem to have any problems finding / playing my music with the existing interface ;)

Not being snarky here, really do want to understand what you guys like / don't like about Roon.

No snarkiness detected. Yours is a fair question. For me its just a bunch of little things that add up to a user experience that is not as intuitive as JRiver. Taken individually, most people will say I am being ticky tack which I agree I am but for as much Roon costs, I expect more. Sometimes I think Roon is just trying to be too clever for their own good so they cant or wont do the conventional thing that makes most sense. In general I would say that editing and manipulating files in Roon is not very easy. Here are some of my quibbles:

Too many buttons and movements required to just play an album

No Various Artists listed in Artist view

Editing song tags is terrible

Not all tags are available to edit

Lack of dynamic playlists

Filtering algorithm not nearly as powerful and intuitive as JRiver

Cant simply list artist, albums, tracks for quick browsing

Cant create custom sort columns

Before you ask, yes I was aware of these issues before I paid for it. I only paid because I needed a way to play through HQP. Because I love HQP so much I will continue to use Roon while hoping that it continues to improve in the most basic areas.

Other components:

well, for example, I know that I have 8 or 10 John Cage albums on by drive, and these show up on a search for Cage on MC. If you search Cage on the Tidal app, there are several--15 or so. If you search John Cage on Roon, it returns a couple of albums. The only way to get them to appear is to type in an album title.

If you search Miles Davis, it will give you a good number of hits, but still not what you find if you search on MC and the Tidal app.

If have other complaints. It is much more difficult to make playlists than with iTunes, for example.

No snarkiness detected. Yours is a fair question. For me its just a bunch of little things that add up to a user experience that is not as intuitive as JRiver. Taken individually, most people will say I am being ticky tack which I agree I am but for as much Roon costs, I expect more. Sometimes I think Roon is just trying to be too clever for their own good so they cant or wont do the conventional thing that makes most sense. In general I would say that editing and manipulating files in Roon is not very easy. Here are some of my quibbles:

Too many buttons and movements required to just play an album

No Various Artists listed in Artist view

Editing song tags is terrible

Not all tags are available to edit

Lack of dynamic playlists

Filtering algorithm not nearly as powerful and intuitive as JRiver

Cant simply list artist, albums, tracks for quick browsing

Cant create custom sort columns

Before you ask, yes I was aware of these issues before I paid for it. I only paid because I needed a way to play through HQP. Because I love HQP so much I will continue to use Roon while hoping that it continues to improve in the most basic areas.

Thanks for answering!

I see what you mean - I very seldom use anything but Album view, and very seldom play anything but a complete album, so a quick search and tap on the album cover in Roon is about all I ever need to play my music. I also do all my ripping in dbPowerAmp, and all my tagging in iTunes (which my husband uses for day-to-day playlists / file transfers to iPod, etc.), so I've never even tried to edit metadata in Roon.

So for me, Roon is only a front end for selecting music to play, and it works very well for that purpose (for me).

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - MacMini running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi wireless > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > iFi Audio xDSD + iFi Audio xCAN > Focal Elegia

Home Theater - Mac Mini running Roon Server > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Pioneer Elite SC-81 > MartinLogan Motion series home theater speakers + M&K subwoofer

I used Roon for a year. I kept thinking that I just hadn't learned it, but I finally gave up. It has many good features, and it appears that it may be getting more, but as one of the other poster noted, it is not good at doing what one really wants: giving easy, full access to the music. It seems to be designed for people who don't know what to listen to.

I totally agree! At that price, it should be the Swiss Army Knife of audio players. To put it in perspective: Photoshop used to cost about the same (before they went to their subscription model), and Microsoft Office costs a little bit less. It is billed as doing one thing very well - organizing your music collection, but it can't even do that. To get it to work at its best, you have to use all sorts of third party programs. One to rip your CD's, another to tag metadata, and HQPlayer to get it to sound the best. It offers inferior functionality to JRiver, yet costs ten times more.

I use Alchemy to interface with HQPlayer. It is simple, it is fast, and it works really well. That's because I know what I want to listen to. A few button presses, and I have music playing.

I will just take better file editing and quicker/easier way to play music instead of moving my mouse/finger all over the screen. Lets do the basic things well first I say.

I agree, I listed several feature requests that I hope they'll consider.

1. Individual star (heart) like ratings, the 1 heart symbol does very little to differentiate good from great songs

2. On the artits home page, when pressing play artist, have the option then to play all those favorite songs. Yes you can book mark this, but I would have 1000+ bookmarks for artists.

3. Under artists view, the ability to change the image to a certain album . Every image looks the same at a glance. If it's a group photo they have the same look. Individual artists stand out ex. Diana Krall, because she's on the covers. I can find Metallica quicker by seeing any of there albums, then there group photo and I know what they look like. For new artists it's a lot harder. Plus artist view is a lot short then album view (as far as screen pages to toggle through).

I've mentioned this on their site, but had little response. I still use this, more then Jriver, for now.

PC/NAS/JRiver/Roon - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - KEF LS50 Nocturne - Rel 328 subwoofer - PS Audio AC5 Power cables 

@ShawnC, your litems 1 and 2 are brilliant! With a large library ratings is how I can quickly create playlists of favorite songs by genre, artists, etc. The ability to quickly play artists favs is something I asked for too. Whats the point in rating with the heart if we cant really use that tag to do anything.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I agree, I listed several feature requests that I hope they'll consider.

1. Individual star (heart) like ratings, the 1 heart symbol does very little to differentiate good from great songs

2. On the artits home page, when pressing play artist, have the option then to play all those favorite songs. Yes you can book mark this, but I would have 1000+ bookmarks for artists.

3. Under artists view, the ability to change the image to a certain album . Every image looks the same at a glance. If it's a group photo they have the same look. Individual artists stand out ex. Diana Krall, because she's on the covers. I can find Metallica quicker by seeing any of there albums, then there group photo and I know what they look like. For new artists it's a lot harder. Plus artist view is a lot short then album view (as far as screen pages to toggle through).

I've mentioned this on their site, but had little response. I still use this, more then Jriver, for now.

Other components:

Why? Why judge a knife by how many blades it has, or by how many bells and whistles it has that don't cut anything? Roon is unlike JRiver. That's it's strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

That is a very interesting comment. I agree Roon and Jriver are different but at the same time they are very similar in the sense that at their very foundation they both are music library management and playback applications. Roon and JRiver may choose to do library management and playback differently which is fine but whatever implementation needs to be intuitive and easy.

Other components:

That is a very interesting comment. I agree Roon and Jriver are different but at the same time they are very similar in the sense that at their very foundation they both are music library management and playback applications. Roon and JRiver may choose to do library management and playback differently which is fine but whatever implementation needs to be intuitive and easy.

I see it a bit differently.

I have not so far judged Roon as a library management tool. It's not a good tool for librarians; but it's very good for readers. It's forte is presentation of content rather than management. That's what I've wanted, as there was nothing comparable on the market. I'd already organised my library, using other tools, none of which comes near Roon in terms of design and presentation, but each of which offers management features that Roon currently lacks. For those that are not interested in managing their own library, it does an amazing job of sorting out ill organised folders. I have a large folder of stuff I had not got round to 'managing', and it needs very little tidying of metadata to make this seamlessly integrate with all the stuff I'd spent months tagging.

The new upgrade (1.3) promises features that turn it also into a library management tool. That's when I'll judge it as such.

In the meantime, I find Roon very good value, because there is nothing else that does what it does best. Part of that value is based on its future development judged on it speed and scale of development to date, its responsiveness to its users' feedback, and the confidence that this gives me in the judgement and intentions of the developers. That's why I have a lifetime membership.

My worry is not whether it adds more useful library management tools, but whether adding extra features distracts from its unmatched elegance of use. That's worth a lot to me.

@craighartley, thank you for the elegant response. At the end of the day, it comes down to user preference, what he/she values and what he/she sees this software application to be. For me, as much as I like the eye candy and all the music background info and cross references, I dont value it and do not believe these features add to my overall user experience. I just want software that manages my library and makes it easy for me to play music. I am a bit of a data mining nerd so all the features Jriver has really appeals to me. To be 100% honest, if Jriver integrated with HQP I would never have purchased Roon. At the end of the day, to each their own. Clearly there is space in this hobby for both Roon and Jriver.

Other components:

Clearly there is space in this hobby for both Roon and Jriver.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. I look at JRiver Media Center as an app that enables the user to have full control over everything and see "how the sausage is made." I look at Roon as an app where the user gives up control to a team that eats, sleeps, and breathes this stuff and presents one's collection in a way that nobody else does. Sure, there are many little points to be made within these ideas, but this is kind of the gist of it.

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast