IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

In general, ‘no’ stands for a disagreement, as it was in this case. 

There's isn't an 'in general'. 'No' stands as agreement when the premise is expressed negatively, as mine was. But that wasn't the only statement in my post which is why I asked for clarification.

You're quite mistaken that listening is a form of measurement, rather measurement is a subset of observation. So you have it backwards.

10 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Identifying an 8dB rise in analog output requires very little scrutiny, precision, expertise, or exhaustive listening tests, right?

So no, I'm sorry, I haven't misunderstood anything at all. Listening would have identified the error before it was published. That listening form of measurement was simply not employed, otherwise the test and measurement error would have been grossly obvious.

Obvious or not has nothing to do with it. Listening is a form of measurement, regardless of how imprecise or unpredictable. So when you claim that listening would’ve been enough you’re making a claim about listening being a sufficiently precise and repeatable measurement to prove Amir’s original measurement wrong. 

2 minutes ago, opus101 said:

There's isn't an 'in general'. 'No' stands as agreement when the premise is expressed negatively, as mine was. But that wasn't the only statement in my post which is why I asked for clarification.

You're quite mistaken that listening is a form of measurement, rather measurement is a subset of observation. So you have it backwards.

I’m guessing that my further elaboration in that post clarified the meaning of ‘no’ for you?

20 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

you’re making a claim about listening being a sufficiently precise and repeatable measurement to prove Amir’s original measurement wrong. 

Yes, I am making that claim, no great precision was needed in determining if an 8dB rise in analog output had occurred or not, and yes that would be repeatable without the need for any exhaustive ABX-type "proof". Grossly obvious to most any causal observer that isn't suffering from impaired hearing.

Both repeatable and reliable, the conclusion being no listening was done at all, and a damning review was published in reckless fashion. 

Let's bring it back on topic, shall we? Does ASR have your beloved measurements supporting the efficacy of MQA or not?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 minute ago, MikeyFresh said:

Yes, I am making that claim, no great precision was needed in determining if an 8dB rise in analog output had occurred or not, and yes that would be repeatable without the need for any exhaustive ABX-type "proof". Grossly obvious to most any causal observer that isn't suffering from impaired hearing.

Both repeatable, and reliable, the conclusion being no listening was done at all, and a damning review was published in reckless fashion. 

Whether or not listening was sufficient to prove the original measurement incorrect is arguing about some other point that was not in the discussion until you brought it up. If you can prove that it was wrong without doing any measurements, including listening, then let’s hear how you’d go about doing it.

3 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Whether or not listening was sufficient to prove the original measurement incorrect is arguing about some other point that was not in the discussion until you brought it up. If you can prove that it was wrong without doing any measurements, including listening, then let’s hear how you’d go about doing it.

Translation? Amir can't reliably hear an 8dB difference in analog output, so he would rather rely on faulty measurements to make that claim.

Back on-topic: ASR has published measurements to support the efficacy claims of MQA, and these measurements are repeatable?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Just now, MikeyFresh said:

Back on-topic: ASR has published measurements to support the efficacy claims of MQA, and these measurements are repeatable?

Where? As I recall, Amir argued that MQA is an elegant codec. That’s his personal, subjective opinion, and not a measurement. Nothing to repeat. You either agree with him or not.

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Where? As I recall, Amir argued that MQA is an elegant codec. That’s his personal, subjective opinion, and not a measurement. Nothing to repeat. You either agree with him or not.

Translation: No, ASR has absolutely no measurements supporting any MQA efficacy claims, yet Amir defends MQA anyway, as apparently in the case of MQA, no such burden of proof by repeatable measurements is required.

{\displaystyle \mathrm {N} \!\!\mathrm {B} } The irony of "subjective opinions" being posted by the founder of the "science" site. Wasn't the elegant codec thing really just a parroting of John Atkinson?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I was told today that mQa reps are lurking around. Haven’t seen any exhibitors promoting it. 

Met with @GoldenOne today. What a nice guy. 

Contrary to your experience, I have seen exhibitors promoting MQA. What a curious juxtaposition of show experiences we have had so far. How unexpected. 

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Which rooms promoted it?

Given this is a trade day, please put your industry affiliation in your signature line. 

Various rooms/stands with MQA kit, mentions, dems. Check out the whole show if you can. I spotted other formats, too, including vinyl. 😉

The 'trade' net is fairly large. My own job isn't relevant. I'd be happy to share some prophesies as and when, though. :-) Enjoy the show - if you drink, have a nice, cool radler. 

1 hour ago, Brahan Seer said:

Various rooms/stands with MQA kit, mentions, dems ... spotted other formats, too, including vinyl. 😉

mQa has presented in its own guise / right / as such / per se every Munich since 2015. see here

if mQa not at Munich as an exclusive presence that would be indicative in a good way to some of us.

bob stuart might be sporting a moustache or other disguise this year ...