IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

41 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

It is pretty clear that JA and Stereophile are not looking out for the consumer's best interests.

Exactly, he just recycled their debunked BS all over again, same old story there.

34 minutes ago, Pierre LeMonf said:

It seems to me that you are clinging to your embrace of MQA simply because you refuse to admit you are wrong.

Thats right, he just octupled down on that whole story.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

4 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

MQA offers benefits to both the record industry and the consumer. The former is no longer allowing free access to its unencrypted masters

You can get a master of sorts after the core decoding and then capturing the bits (mind you this is lossy, so it can never be as good as the original master).  In fact, an MQA decoded and rendered track can never be as good as the master.

mQa is dead!

9 hours ago, lucretius said:

You can get a master of sorts after the core decoding and then capturing the bits (mind you this is lossy, so it can never be as good as the original master).  In fact, an MQA decoded and rendered track can never be as good as the master.

(Sorry about my ham handed use of the forum -- I am responding to @lucretius response to JA.  Simply do not know how to use the editing features -- I am a very technical programmer and have gotten tired of all of the user interface things -- guess I am a luddite in some ways 🙂.)

The above response about a comment from JA about 'no longer access to unencrypted masters' is misleading.   Anyone who has heard a recording mix KNOWS that we have almost never in recent years gotten  'unencrypted masters' (truly minimally modified copies of the mix -- not heinously processed materials.)   There is industry pushback on that idea that 'I didn't do the excessive processing', but indeed someone, somewhere has.

Either there is stealth processing going on after the mastering engineering work, the mastering engineers are doing the stealth processing, or the mastering is being done against damaged 'masters'.   I have heard some attempts at post-mastering of already damaged materials from MFSL, but that was probably in desperation where the mixdown (before post processing) wasn't available...

*  I am distingushing the 'mixdown' as what the original artists produced vs. the damaged materials commonly available.

It is so sad to read where  supposedly 'quality minded' information sources have been totally ignoring the algorithmic damage that was initially recognized as the 'digital sound' back in the middle 1980s.  It is just that the average consumer has learned to accomodate to it.  Now, people listen to the recordings with the 'digital sound' and have accomodated to the damage in the recordings.

The whole situation makes me sad when people talk about the 2bits of damage in MQA, yet there is so much  other damage already done.   It is that MQA is yet another layer of obfuscation is even more disgusting than what has already been foisted on the consumer...

When will it end?  Maybe when we have 2bits of precision in our recordings unless paying extra toll charges?   There are just too many (all?) reviewers who aren't disclosing the dirty little secret...

Really kind of depressing...   It has motivated me to try to do some things, with limited success -- but IS proving that the damage is real by existence proof.

(Above message edited to be less inflammatory -- none of us is perfect, and in my passion, might have forgotten that.)

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

@John_Atkinson should elaborate on the white glove treatment that his sample files received vs. batch encodes done with no apparent regard to the ADC hardware used in the capture and/or production processes.  And also why mQa CDs are good for consumers.

A number of posts on this thread have stated there are currently no mQa enabled ADC converters on the market and this has been a stumbling block for third party testing and review...would be interesting to confirm if this is the case.

I understand Tidal, when planning another big batch conversion, simply fire up a gasoline powered one they rent from Home Depot.  

10 hours ago, FredericV said:

Regarding the deliberate crippling by dithering / adding noise / band limiting the signal during the MQA encode step to 17/96 at best, I found an actual ground breaking article how such damage could potentially be undone:

https://petapixel.com/2021/08/30/googles-new-ai-photo-upscaling-tech-is-jaw-dropping/

Why is this tech interesting? 
Their upscale tech is based on a trained model which has learned from the deliberate crippling of the signal by adding noise until only pure noise remains, and knows how to do the inverse:

Deep learning technology is extremely powerful stuff - frightening, even - and can/will be used to 'fix' all sorts of recording flaws and misadventures, 😉 ... it will only take some individual, or company, to get seriously interested in getting the ball rolling, right now, for this to take off - the MQA thing is just a tiny blip on the radar, which will just fade away like so many other, similar ideas ...

2 hours ago, wdw said:

number of posts on this thread have stated there are currently no mQa enabled ADC converters on the market

This is still available directly from the manufacturer:

https://mytek-europe.com/brooklyn-adc/

2 hours ago, wdw said:

I understand Tidal, when planning another big batch conversion, simply fire up a gasoline powered one they rent from Home Depot.  

The record label does that.

mQa is dead!

49 minutes ago, BassFace said:

I can't believe we're 954 pages into this.   You are all intelligent people who know their stuff. Its been established MQA is not what it seems or claims but here we are still bickering like Children. Grown Men sounding like they are still on the Playground.  I follow for factual reasons that were established a long time ago.

And, yet, MQA is still trying to implement their misbegotten scheme.

And, yet, you still comment on this.  Who is bickering like children?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

18 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

And, yet, MQA is still trying to implement their misbegotten scheme.

And, yet, you still comment on this.  Who is bickering like children?

I came on to see if there was any more in depth investigations like Golden Sound did a while back to educate myself a bit more and to see if anyone had been allowed to do further test.  I know what MQA are doing and have taken appropriate action myself in deciding not to use it. Simple really, it's not Rocket Science.