IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

12 minutes ago, OldHardwareTech said:

Lastly I renamed easy.mqa.flac to easy.flac and Audirvana Studio displayed and played it as HD but not MQA. So it can't determine a misnamed MQA file is MQA but it can determine a flac file misnamed as MQA isn't actually MQA. Odd, but certainly not the worst behavior it could have had.

What seems to be happening is that (1) Studio first checks the filename for mqa and, only then (2) Studio attempts to read the control stream in the MQA file to determine that it is MQA 192 (or whatever). Other software, skips the first step.  I am curious why Damien thought this first step was necessary.

mQa is dead!

4 minutes ago, lucretius said:

What seems to be happening is that (1) Studio first checks the filename for mqa and, only then (2) Studio attempts to read the control stream in the MQA file to determine that it is MQA 192 (or whatever). Other software, skips the first step.  I am curious why Damien thought this first step was necessary.

You're right, the first step is redundant and leaving it out would mean more accuracy by detecting MQA files that aren't properly named.

13 hours ago, lucretius said:

I found what the problem is with Audirvana 3.5.

I renamed the music file from "01 Take It Easy.flac" to "01 Take It Easy.mqa.flac" (this is the name format used when purchasing MQA downloads).  Now, Audirvana recognizes this as MQA.  Quirky,  Yet my less than $10 Android app recognizes either as MQA.

15 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Audivana is also supposed to look for presence of at least one of the MQA related (non-standard) FLAC file tags, eg, MQAENCODER & ORIGINALSAMPLERATE.

See this post by Damien which also explains his reasoning for Audirvana not automatically engaging the MQA decoder:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55491-qobuz-streaming-mqa-cds/?do=findComment&comment=923276

Audirvana Plus is not processing all files through the MQA decoder (contrary to some other player?), but only the ones hinted to be MQA from their metadata. For 1. optimising the audio signal path 2. Speeding the file loading by not trying to find a MQA marker when knowing there is none

These metadata hints that tell the file is likely MQA can be:

1. File name, with .mqa, or .mql just before the file extension

2. a MQA tag in the metadata (e.g. the original sample rate)

3. track information from the streaming service (TIDAL)

Presumably that FLAC file you tested Audirvana with also doesn't have any of those tags.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

7 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Audivana is also supposed to look for presence of at least one of the MQA related (non-standard) FLAC file tags, eg, MQAENCODER & ORIGINALSAMPLERATE. See this post by Damien which also explains his reasoning for Audirvana not automatically engaging MQA decoder:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55491-qobuz-streaming-mqa-cds/?do=findComment&comment=923276

Thanks for the explanation.

The software only need check a few bits at the front of the file.  The software doesn't have to begin decoding.  I do not see much savings doing it the Audirvana way.  Also, you could check the file just once and have the MQA marker saved in Audirvana's database.

mQa is dead!

7 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Whithout the first step, one simply would not need to append "mqa" to the filename.

The only real reason for doing it that way would be to save some processing power and speed things up.  I don't know how much more processing it would take to leave the first step out but there didn't seem to be any delay when I played the flac I had misnamed as MQA.  I am using a fairly fast system though so it's possible there was a delay that I couldn't preceive.

Edit: changed tense of played

36 minutes ago, OldHardwareTech said:

Thanks for replying to that, I would have had to assume. 

I captured the bits from a Tidal stream (when I had Tidal).  I added metadata and artwork myself.  It never occurred to me to add MQAENCODER and ORIGINALSAMPLERATE file tags.

I should also note that Roon doesn't require the above file tags or "mqa" appended to the file name in order to correctly identify the file as MQA 192.

mQa is dead!

@lucretius

Why the big banner saying MQA is dead?  MQA ltd is still listed as an active company at Companies House. They lose millions every year but they are still being underwritten by their financiers, one assumes because they are expecting something big.

Do you know something we don't know? If so, is that why you are actively promoting Roon?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

7 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

@lucretius

Why the big banner saying MQA is dead?  MQA ltd is still listed as an active company at Companies House. They lose millions every year but they are still being underwritten by their financiers, one assumes because they are expecting something big.

It's the belief that whatever I think about, hope for, dare to dream for … will come true. And hopefully others will believe it too.

14 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Do you know something we don't know? If so, is that why you are actively promoting Roon?

I have no insider information.  As far as Roon goes, I get brownie points, I think, for referrals and the new sign-ups get a free month.  If you think the Roon referral is inapropriate, I will remove it.  OTH, I'd like to keep the "MQA is dead!" banner. 

mQa is dead!

2 minutes ago, lucretius said:

It's the belief that whatever I think about, hope for, dare to dream for … will come true. And hopefully others will believe it too.

I have no insider information.  As far as Roon goes, I get brownie points, I think, for referrals and the new sign-ups get a free month.  If you think the Roon referral is inapropriate, I will remove it.  OTH, I'd like to keep the "MQA is dead!" banner. 

Neither one bothers me, but I'll happily hope and wish MQA is dead right along with you. I see the Roon link as being helpful even if I don't choose to use it. If my input makes any difference I say keep both.

2 hours ago, lucretius said:

Also, if you wanted further "unfolds", I believe it could be done; you need an MQA renderer that supports rendering operation from Roon's MQA core decoder. (Some MQA DACS do not support this.)  Also, Meridian has DSP loud speakers that can accept the output from an MQA core decoder and can apply DSP, as well as, MQA rendering.

You'd expect applying DSP to the MQA Core signal would corrupt the MQA Core signal's encoded MQA rendering data - Roon must be using some special MQA functions which somehow preserve and/or restore the MQA rendering data when DSP is applied.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox