IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

25 minutes ago, Arg said:

I reckon this is a case of sour grapes from someone left out of the new bandwagon. Don’t give it so much credence, Chris. Why? Because this whole “overseen by the artist” and “artist’s original intent” message is the real scam. The general rule is that it doesn’t happen, and never happened.

Can you elaborate?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

32 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here is just one example of Atmos Spatial Audio where the producer and recording engineer of the original album was the one who created the Atmos version. I’d say highly involved. 

Yeah, but both you and I well know these guys are an 'industry' unto themselves and will always have control and are not beholden to their label. Other artists not so much - they just roll over when the label says roll. And what if the artist and engineers are dead? 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I have some experience with the Dolby Atmos up mixer, a few years ago though. You can get some interesting results with 2 channel to 5.1, 5.4.1 etc. if I want to fool around with 2 channel, just let me use the software myself rather than cutting me off from the traditional content. Just another money grab. 

43 minutes ago, Archimago said:

One more thing @Rt66indierock...

Clearly they could not have picked a better track that this 1956 recording ("They Can't Take That Away From Me") to show off digital "deblurring", hi-res, and of course "authenticated" by the artists. 😉

Ha!

Very similar to what Bill Schnee told me once. He went to RMAF and heard a demo of Nojima Plays Liszt at 24/176.4. He couldn’t get over the tape artifacts and was surprised they used a performance recorded to tape, then transferred to high resolution, to show off high resolution and a HiFi system. Yes, it sounded really good, but nowhere near what it could’ve sounded like. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

Hope you're having fun down there man!

Heard it's pretty small as expected this year so lots of time to savor your favourite rooms and even take in more MQA demo ;-).

Wondering, when they demo mQa these days, are they switching between a standard 16/48 or "hi-res" version and the mQa decoded version or is it just... "Here's the MQA! Ain't it awesome?", any A/B comparison?

Just dealer playing an MQA file. Stand alone, he just said it was MQA after the song.

28 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Would love to hear from @Rt66indierockif this was an actual MQA demo or just some off-the-cuff dealer "show and tell".

Likewise, over the years, whether I've attended actual demos to show off MQA or at dealers, the test materials used really have not been true-hi-res stuff (once I heard a 2L recording in a demo in 2016, that was basically it).

Of course for mQa, they want to imply that the codec is "Good for any music!" but by not selecting tracks that even could benefit from the technology, it just doesn't speak well about the knowledge/awareness of what it is they're selling nor consistent with the advertising claims. I suspect the "knowledge gap" between many informed audiophiles and the professional demo/sales people can be uncomfortably wide.

There was an information gap, my SO Sheri asked me why are we are listening to tape hiss. She will never attend another show with me.

I’m enjoying myself and catching up with people but anybody who writes they are listening to great systems is fooling themselves.

16 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I was told by Emiko Carlin the shows marketing person that ticket sales are higher this year than 2018 and 2019.

Wow. That's good.

Maybe pent-up demand to get out there and do stuff after the year+ of restrictions!

Not so good that your SO said "She will never attend another show with me". At least she gave it a try! I don't think I'd ever get my wife into such an event. ;-)

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

6 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Wow. That's good.

Maybe pent-up demand to get out there and do stuff after the year+ of restrictions!

Not so good that your SO said "She will never attend another show with me". At least she gave it a try! I don't think I'd ever get my wife into such an event. ;-)

I am the tin ear and my wife is the one who is the critical listener. She gets disappointed when she can't go. 

I will be looking forward to AXPONA, this year, as we live in the area and don't have to book a hotel.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Just now, botrytis said:

I am the tin ear and my wife is the one who is the critical listener. She gets disappointed when she can't go. 

I will be looking forward to AXPONA, this year, as we live in the area and don't have to book a hotel.

Good man. You've found a great partner.

My wife and kids just care enough to steal the Apple AirPods Pros when I'm not looking... 😉

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

I haven’t read the last 50 pages in this tread. The link beneath is a good summary of everything that’s bad with MQA. Maybe Chris can add this to the first post, so people don’t have to read 1000 pages. 

MQA REALLY IS A FRAUD!

This thread is working as I intended it to. A running commentary where I can say that was discussed or debunked years ago.

20 hours ago, UkPhil said:

Although not directly on topic I found this quote interesting from Barry Grint mastering engineer of Alchemy Mastering in UK in 2019.

“Warner Records, for example, go to extraordinary lengths to digitize their analog masters. They seek out the best possible copy, are meticulous in the transfer to 24bit 192 KHz, and make copious quality control notes. There is every opportunity for a mastering engineer to deliver this audio to a higher standard than was possible before.”

if that’s the case why would they market the sausage machine MQA conversions as master quality “better than lossless and an enhanced  than what was heard in the studio” unless it wasn’t driven by money with the hope they can lock the true master away from the consumer in the future. 

Why just give consumers a 24/96 or a 24/48 version for streaming I am sure that would suffice or if everyone is so worried about data amounts create a 20/96 file which no doubt will be reasonably average size and will hold most audible music anyone would need to consume 

Actualy we have talked about this before. And a Warner Music Rep at the LA Audio Show gave me the exact breakdown of the high files they had as of that date. Almost none were 24/192.

28 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Actualy we have talked about this before. And a Warner Music Rep at the LA Audio Show gave me the exact breakdown of the high files they had as of that date. Almost none were 24/192.

Interesting thanks for the confirmation, it’s amazing what non truths could be out there