IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Think about this for a minute. Us audiophiles are all-in on anything that has even the slightest chance of making our hobby more enjoyable. Yet, mQa has managed to create an environment, through its own doing, where audiophiles are against it. Tough to do, considering the audience (myself included).

That's a very interesting observation and very true. 

What conceivable advantage (other then protecting/educating the consumer) would it be for the many knowledgeable AND qualified individuals (and no the guy at asr isn't the only qualified person) who have analyzed this and provided tons of data to back up their analysis?  None, or at least nothing obvious.  Not to mention the amount of time spent on this, just crazy.

If there was never ANY costs for mqa (licensing, hardware, propriety format, fees etc..) much of this would probably not have gained the attention it has (for the most part).  Although, the batch processing of these library's without mastering eng approval is still unbelievable.

My rig

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

Maybe Jim and John are still struggling to figure out how this new-fangled InterWeb technology works...

I think they know perfectly well how this economy works. Two years ago, @John_Atkinsonwrote this:

«When we launched Stereophile's website at the end of 1997, we decided that we would not reprint the magazine's most popular features, including the biannual "Recommended Components" listings and Michael Fremer's monthly "Analog Corner" column. We were concerned that doing so would cannibalize magazine sales. As it turned out, we were wrong—and so the latest "Recommended Components" is available on our free-access website day-and-date with the publication of the April and October issues in which it appears. And starting with Mikey's very first "Analog Corner," from July 1995, I have been posting his column on our AnalogPlanet.com website.»

Link: https://www.stereophile.com/content/who-watches-watchers

In other words, they’re not too afraid of the cannibals. They don’t treat their material as their «crown jewels».

5 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I did put up an interesting post on MQA. It seems Tidal has changed pricing and tiers and higher res MQA seems to be only in the highest priced tier...

So far only in Australia, and when tested the mid-tier was still serving up MQA in many cases, most likely WMG releases if I had to guess, but I don't live in Australia and so only took a passing interest in the topic.

Could very well be a sign of TIDAL's new owners at least seeking data on just how many of their subscribers would not want to pay extra for "Masters", in which case they'd probably bolt the MQA license deal at the earliest juncture if that data supports it.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OK, back to mQa. 

I do have some news but I have to be vague due to confidentiality. I can assure everyone that GoldenOne’s videos are being shared by those at the highest levels of the music industry. 

How are they taking it?

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

Thanks I should be safe I got my second shot March 10th. It is a short drive to Long Beach so no worries. I'm looking forward catching up with a lot of people including a moderator on Peter Veth's private MQA Facebook page.

I wonder about whether any Stereophile writers will come? Maybe JVS but maybe not after his Yamaha amp review. The real fun is watching people try to justify high resolution audio. 

Anyway I may wrote another article about COVID 19. One with a wider audience appeal than COVID 19 and the home office deduction published last November. 

Sounds like you're good to go man! Is the Veth MQA Facebook page still running these days?

Indeed will be interesting to see if Stereophile will have coverage of the event. Let's see who among them is "brave" enough to travel and show up in listening rooms with strangers.

Speaking of "justifying high resolution audio", I noticed that Apple is actually even downplaying lossless itself:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183

"While the difference between AAC and lossless audio is virtually indistinguishable, we’re offering Apple Music subscribers the option to access music in lossless audio compression."

I appreciate their honesty as most folks won't care even if audiophiles I believe should at least aim for lossless CD quality.

Enjoy the show and COVID-19 writing!

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I am sad that I won't be in LA area for THE Show as I am going out there next week, for work, for 10 days.

It will be interesting to see what is actually there and how it is covered.

I hope MQA is an also ran there.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

3 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

Jason Victor Serinus is covering THE Show for Stereophile's website.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Sounds good John.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.