IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

Sorry, NO. As I said, that is spurious at best and utter arrogance at the worst. If the data can't stand on it's own merit, it wouldn't have produced the vitriol in response that it did.

Let the people who support mQa publish data that actually REFUTES what was put out. Since they haven't or won't, one can assume what was published hit too close to home and shown the charade it really is.

Let Mr. Stewart prove them wrong WITH DATA, not attacks.

I will give you an example from my own background. When as a post doc, I was working with the foremost scientist in the decay of wood and wood products by fungi. At one time, my advisor, asked me to review a paper as he didn't have the time. Well, I went through the paper and saw the science was lacking, and basically ripped it to shreds. My adviser then came to me and said that it was his friend and that he should have the paper published. I pointed out all the flaws and data lacking to prove the point he was making in the paper. My adviser, then wrote a stellar review for his friend and it got published. This is what happens when the name is known. Data be damned.

Botrytis,

You're speaking in absolutes, and from your perspective only.  As a scientist, I don't need to remind you that consideration for another viewpoint is part of critical thinking.  

You're speaking of publishing technical data in a technical publication that will be peer reviewed, vetted and then if published you will receive credit.  All well and good.

JA, not to speak for him or defend him, is describing a world where the article can be used as a sales or marketing tool, and as such is to be regarded with deep suspicion if the author isn't known.  

"Best Amplifier I ever heard in my life!" says the amplifier manufacturer.  

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

With respect to mQa, I doubt Archi and Golden would’ve bothered to publish if required to use their real names. My speculation is that they’d rather not deal with nonsense in their personal lives, when their publishing is fact based. Anyone can reproduce what they’ve done or attempt to refute it with facts. 

Agreed, but there's two different conversations here - one for anonymous publishing of accurate technical data and another for the academic world of peer reviewed publishing. 

The former is open to market gaming if readers are not astute enough to question and verify - the latter is a different world that has been criticized for being a slow and cumbersome way of publishing any relevant data.

Both comments are valid, but in different worlds.  

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

And the world JA describes bears very little resemblance to the modern world where "influencers" often drive marketing campaigns.  The "citizen engineers" posted data from tests that can be easily duplicated by others.  That is why their identity is irrelevant, and it's also why mQa has only attacked them, and not their data.

No issues there.  My point was that JA, as the editor of a publication needs to have some assurance as to not only the validity of the data but also of the intent.  

We exchanged comments the other week on how we both recall Stereo Review and Julian Hirsch.  Lowest THD ever measured on any high powered amplifier!  Yeah, doesn't sound very good but the numbers look great.  

Look like Japan is still churning out the prog classics in mQa CD format, why what's the point surely the 24/96 Blu Ray release was more than anyone would need if you wanted to fill your boots with Hi-Res or just the normal CD to be honest seen as we are going back 1969 with this one  

MQA CD.png

Toyah is a force to be reckoned with. 

Fripp spent many years trying, and succeeding as I understand it, to (re)gain control of King Crimson rights. Am not sure of his position on MQA.

Given Neil Young’s stance, which itself came from / was informed by dialogue with Charley Hansen, having significant musicians onside could really help. Fripp is a most interesting fellow with deep background in many areas. There’s a reason the King Crimson album was called Discipline.