IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, Confused said:

Indeed, I notice that he makes a comment about having passed a double blind test for 16 bits versus 24 bits. 

Assuming this is true, this is quite impressive.  Does anyone know if this has been independently verified or what the basis of the test was?

It can be easily done by manipulation different types of dither. On a side note, with a truly resolving system, it can be likely that one could actually hear the difference between 16 and 24 bits. All audibility studies are inconclusive so there is a possibility.

If Chris can handle a few mQa mavens at a talk, Amir is not a big deal.

I just wish mQa would just go away.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

9 hours ago, botrytis said:

No. As GS said, does that mean electronic music would be an inappropriate signal? They are trying to have it both ways and they can't. I mean Amir uses test signals when he tests DACs, some with mQa, so why is it different for him? It is not and that is the point.

IIRC he specifically took exception with using a test signal in the ‘folded’ frequency range. I can understand that concern. And I thought that was consistent with John Dyson’s point. 

Computer audiophile is not an oxymoron

56 minutes ago, Currawong said:

Apple and Spotify wont touch MQA with a 10-foot barge pole.  That makes it dead in the water.  Why do you think Apple is running music through an optional Dolby Atmost process? Where do you think they got the idea to do that, restricted their own hardware?

This leaves MQA to a small number of people who care about it. Once Roon and Deezer integrate, and the Qobuz catalog expands sufficiently, TIDAL will be even more marginalised. 

A DBT is easy to rig as well. I'll bet I could pass a CD-quality-vs-high-res test easily. I'd just make the CD quality files by downsampling the high-res using the worst encoder settings. The counter is, if I want someone to fail a DBT, I just put them under enough stress or have enough unfamiliarity in the test that they wont pass. This is why I consider 90% of DBT discussion on forums to just be argument masturbation by people who don't know any better, and not anything to do with actual science.

DBT tests should be setup with one or two people picking the tracks but the people playing the tracks should not which is which, they should be separated, just like they do for drug DBT's.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

9 hours ago, Confused said:

Indeed, I notice that he makes a comment about having passed a double blind test for 16 bits versus 24 bits. 

Assuming this is true, this is quite impressive.  Does anyone know if this has been independently verified or what the basis of the test was?

He (Amir) is quite transparent about it. It is not a boast about his hearing ability: it is to refute people wrongly saying “no way, no one, no how, can you tell if a music recording is 16 or 24 bit.” It’s in one of his videos. He had to pick out a lead-out section of a track where music levels are very low, put the ABX gear on A-B repeat of 2 seconds, and crank the volume, and listen to the noise difference. He literally says, “you could say I cheated”. He also openly says that neither he nor anyone would have a hope of telling them apart in listening to music passages at normal recording levels. Nothing wrong with that IMHO, and point well made.

P.S. to the general discussion in this thread: didn’t Chris encourage discussion of MQA instead of character assassination?

Computer audiophile is not an oxymoron

32 minutes ago, Arg said:

He (Amir) is quite transparent about it. It is not a boast about his hearing ability: it is to refute people wrongly saying “no way, no one, no how, can you tell if a music recording is 16 or 24 bit.” It’s in one of his videos. He had to pick out a lead-out section of a track where music levels are very low, put the ABX gear on A-B repeat of 2 seconds, and crank the volume, and listen to the noise difference. He literally says, “you could say I cheated”. He also openly says that neither he nor anyone would have a hope of telling them apart in listening to music passages at normal recording levels. Nothing wrong with that IMHO, and point well made.

P.S. to the general discussion in this thread: didn’t Chris encourage discussion of MQA instead of character assassination?

So now we know you are an Amir groupie and an apologist. And probably the reason the last few pages were scrubbed clean. Good job, if so.

If Amir took a dump on your desk, you would thank him for the chocolate mousse.

12 hours ago, Confused said:

I'm fairly sure it was one of those self-administered tests using a foobar plug-in. He often posts the output of those.