IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

37 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hello Q, your attempting to rewrite history. I find it funny that you and @John_Atkinson come out of the woodwork today in support of each other, as mQa inches closer to irrelevance and attempts to smear @GoldenOne for his honest video. It’s as if the old guard is the PR wing of mQa. That’s certainly not the hill I’d die on. 

I guess "the best defense is a good offense." My point in bringing this up is that an attempt is indeed being made to rewrite history—by those who want to portray you as the "victim" at RMAF 2018. I'm a fan of yours, Chris, but I believe you miscalculated with that seminar, giving it a misleading title and then being surprised when the MQA people anticipated what you were up to and (after waiting 10 minutes to see if they were wrong) launched an attack that definitely threw you offyour game. It was a fiasco, and the fact is, you were at least partially to blame.

The conspiracy theory stuff is unbecoming—all the winking Q references and implications of secret pacts among audio writers past age 60. You've argued that Stereophile and TAS have been backed into a rhetorical corner by their early enthusiasm for MQA and maybe you're right. But there's a lot more to what these magazines—and all audio publications, including yours—do beyond this one technology and we apply ourselves with every equipment and music review to serve the interests of our readers, as I know you do. You need to be careful that you don't back yourself into a different sort of corner.

8 minutes ago, firedog said:

It's called an ad hominem attack. Attack the messenger, so you don't have to confront the message. Deflection. Cancelling.

So MQA is part of the 'Cancel' culture wars....

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

6 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Doesn't @John_Atkinsonhave a special interest in mQa in that the company was involved in producing his music?

No. MQA had no involvement in the production of the recordings I have made. After the original release, what they did was prepare MQA-encoded versions for me to compare with the commercially released recordings. They also sent me the MQA and non-MQA files of other recordings that they had sent for comparison to Chris Connacker and other writers.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

29 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

No. MQA had no involvement in the production of the recordings I have made. After the original release, what they did was prepare MQA-encoded versions for me to compare with the commercially released recordings. They also sent me the MQA and non-MQA files of other recordings that they had sent for comparison to Chris Connacker and other writers.

John Atkinson

Is this a common practice for others who submit recordings? In Goldenone's case they have been removed. Or is this special treatment for you? Someone has looked behind the curtain and seen the real mQa wizard.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Racerxnet said:

Is this a common practice for others who submit recordings?

I have no idea. In this case, I was going to write an article about the sonic differences I heard that were due to MQA - see https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-mqa .  I wanted to use some recordings with which I was intimately familiar, having engineered and mastered them. I therefore sent two original hi-rez files to Bob Stuart to be encoded.

John Atkinson

5 hours ago, ARQuint said:

but I believe you miscalculated with that seminar, giving it a misleading title and then being surprised when the MQA people anticipated what you were up to and (after waiting 10 minutes to see if they were wrong) launched an attack that definitely threw you offyour game. It was a fiasco, and the fact is, you were at least partially to blame.

So here is the problem with both you and mQa.  You both see this as some sort of flame war, and maybe the one with the biggest dick wins.  Why can't mQa ltd simply supply honest information about mQa? And honestly answer some questions?  Even if I disagreed with the info they presented, I'd nonetheless have a lot more respect for them than I do now. Instead, what we get is gibberish like the last response to GoldenOne as well as the various Bob talks.  These are so vague and watered down they're almost offensive. Surely BS can deliver better information?

Even BS realizes that mQa has limitations -- hence the existence of secret white glove procedures/processes -- and yet BS has never explained/admitted mQa's limitations.

mQa is dead!

13 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

BS initials are perfect for the man and his quest....it's a shame after reading John Atkinson for 3 or 4 decades, that he cannot come clean instead backing all the crap!

It seems @John_Atkinson is trying not to burn his bridges -- he wants to maintain an "in" with mQa ltd (and BS) should that ever prove useful in the future.

mQa is dead!

Please correct me if I am wrong - I have been doing net things for a while - I have forgotten whatever little DSP I had in me.

I have gotten in my head that the genius of @GoldenOne 's video is that it got all the MQA - sorry mQA :D proponents to publicly  admit that it behaves exactly like a lossy scheme. Including Bob Stuart himself.

From there, well, if it looks like a duck... 

I maybe inferring to much - but  just wanted to double check I am right - or not! 

v