IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Proprietary format and compatibilitly with file tagers and some hardware devices.

Ok. I've never had any issues with the format though.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

Fortunately you can easily convert any lossless PCM format to any other with no loss in quality.

That is fortunate. But if we kept it in flac, we don't need to convert.

Just checking the software on my computer at the moment, the following does not support ALAC: Audacity, Sound Forge, MAAT DR Meter offline. I remember trying out some DAW software (e.g. FL Studio) as well as DJ software (e.g. TRAKTOR) and no support for ALAC.

mQa is dead!

37 minutes ago, lucretius said:

That is fortunate. But if we kept it in flac, we don't need to convert.

Just checking the software on my computer at the moment, the following does not support ALAC: Audacity, Sound Forge, MAAT DR Meter offline. I remember trying out some DAW software (e.g. FL Studio) as well as DJ software (e.g. TRAKTOR) and no support for ALAC.

Steinberg (creators of ASIO) software, e.g. Cubase, WavLab Pro and WaveLab elements, does not support ALAC. 

mQa is dead!

With a reported 60 million subscribers, Apple Music already kills Tidal at 4.2 million. It's hardly a fair fight.

Of course my martial arts teacher maintains that if you find yourself in a fair fight your strategy sucks.:)

It will be interesting to see how the user interface works. Apple traditionally hasn't integrated because Jobs  found other UIs to be sub-par.

49 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I appreciate Audirvana Studio labeling this MQA track as a "Dubious HD Recording."

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.34.14 AM.png

I was very curious how that new feature would work with MQA, for example would the presence of some MQA garbage HF content trick the software into calling it "hi-res" or not?

Can you try it with 24-bit MQA and see what happens?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

12 hours ago, GregWormald said:

With a reported 60 million subscribers, Apple Music already kills Tidal at 4.2 million. It's hardly a fair fight.

Of course my martial arts teacher maintains that if you find yourself in a fair fight your strategy sucks.:)

It will be interesting to see how the user interface works. Apple traditionally hasn't integrated because Jobs  found other UIs to be sub-par.

"Apple traditionally hasn't integrated because Jobs  found other UIs to be sub-par. "

Me thinks not. It is clear as day that Jobs goal was to keep everything in a closed Apple feedback loop. Sell more devices, get richer. His MO has been well documented...he put consumer needs last in many cases. Only after he croaked did they start to play nice with other devices.  As much as he was a visionary, he was wrong about a lot of things,

24 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

he was wrong about a lot of things

As are most of us. 

24 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Me thinks not. It is clear as day that Jobs goal was to keep everything in a closed Apple feedback loop. Sell more devices, get richer. His MO has been well documented...he put consumer needs last in many cases.

That doesn’t make much sense. Piss off consumers so they buy more and make you rich. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

As are most of us. 

That doesn’t make much sense. Piss off consumers so they buy more and make you rich. 

Yes, we are all wrong. But Jobs had an insufferable smugness where he never thought he was wrong..

-Wrong about market demand for larger screens

-wrong about market demand for a file system, removable storage

-wrong about market demand for compatibility

-wrong about keeping ALAC closed

I could go on

i have read every book on jobs, and I have a relative who worked in the Apple inner circle for 15 years Jobs would call meetings and would tell his top staff "Consumers don't tell us what they want, WE tell them what they want"...He rejected many consumer friendly changes that were instituted after his death,

43 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Yes, we are all wrong. But Jobs had an insufferable smugness where he never thought he was wrong..

-Wrong about market demand for larger screens

-wrong about market demand for a file system, removable storage

-wrong about market demand for compatibility

-wrong about keeping ALAC closed

I could go on

i have read every book on jobs, and I have a relative who worked in the Apple inner circle for 15 years Jobs would call meetings and would tell his top staff "Consumers don't tell us what they want, WE tell them what they want"...He rejected many consumer friendly changes that were instituted after his death,

4 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Just a reminder that in the corporate world there are no good guys...just like a Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western..you just root for the less evil bad guy.  Even the supposed "White Hat" mega corps put profits and shareholders above human decency.

https://www.axios.com/apple-china-human-rights-privacy-violations-810dd6fa-bbbb-45d9-b855-f51783b69bee.html

I certainly hear you about all of it. Jobs had the reality distortion field and many other traits I don't consider good. His successes are legendary though.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Regarding all the comments about Apple - indeed,  very often I don't like what they do, I don't like what they have turned into and definitely avoided them for  a long time. Up until recently, there was no Apple or Windows at Vic's office - that changed recently though; my kid went to college and I inherited the Mac Book Pro. That was actually the main catalyst to try Roon. But I digress.

It's obvious that Apple is no white hat cowboy to the rescue. BUT there are difference between that and the MQA effort.

Main is that Apple aims to establish not standards BUT market domination - most of the people I know will use ALAC not  because is being forced, but because Apple's size, market and mind share. They want to use Apple, regardless of disadvantages or doing so, or the advantages of not doing so. 

BUT - you can reject it.  Like I said, I did not use Apple. Even with its market dominance, I only started using their products because I wanted to.

They don't want the backlash that MQA generated. They also have no need to risk it. I hate it that they removed the audio jack and that everyone is following.   So big they don't care. All that obviously very NOT desirable.

The problem with MQA was that is a consumer rights eroding effort through the means of industry adoption. BAD. Then you add all the claims, the lossy issue and so on. In fact, I thought I did not care about MQA until I new of the existence of MQA CDs. That made me go, wow! they are also going after physical media. THEY WANT TO CONTROL EVERYTHING. That will not do.

v