IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, mcgillroy said:

Looks like Xivero, authors of the "Hypothesis Paper on MQA" took a page from MQAs playbook and now offer their own set of filters to remove pre-ringing throughout the recoding and playback-chain:

https://www.xivero.com/xipodizer/

Oh how blasphemous, they are even charging real money for their product. 

Only joking. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

17 minutes ago, Digital Assassin said:

However, this is not the story told at the beginning.

Here is John Atkinson quoted, with two totally untrue today fact:

As MQA needs to be applied at the mastering stage in a recording's production, it doesn't improve the sound quality of your existing CD collection. It is really only relevant to downloads.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ive-heard-future-streaming-meridians-mqa#iVGw34mUHUGtC4bm.99

The story kept on changing, and keeps on changing to this day.

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not certain that's the best information to support your point :~) 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, Fokus said:

Not too long ago you could find threads here on CA about people fussing over the parameters for iZotope sample rate conversion, with tiny fractions of changes allegedly responsible for massive changes in sound. These threads were all the more funny because many of these people did not even understand what the parameters meant, and how illegal/invalid many of the filters they generated were. But blacks were blackerder, veils were lifted and then removed totally, the musicians were here and the listeners were there, over and over again, that much closer to the true sound.

What a great opportunity to help those who lacked the education to understand what they were doing. 

I'm guessing you offered some quick tips?

3 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

"To rewind a tad, all business is about profit. That's the nature of the beast. Nobody goes into business to work for free or give stuff away. However, when business involves collaboration with other commercial entities, it's common sense to expect balanced contracts which are mutually beneficial to all parties concerned. "

Sounds like President Trump talking about our foreign trade agreements. Common sense needing to prevail for both sides.  

Two thumbs up.  :D

Not defending anyone here, but this is usually accomplished through negotiations and each party weighing the pros and cons. If the contract doesn't make sense to sign, you don't sign it. I'm totally fine with any company offering whatever terms and conditions it wants in a contract, as long as I'm not required to sign it by law. Hopefully a somewhat free market will prevail and people will decide what's best for them or their companies. 

1 minute ago, Digital Assassin said:

Yes, sir I am talking both..first..politics..perhaps address the poster above?

Second: Yes MQA has fraudulently marketed their product. The only thing true about it is that it does fold down higher sampling rates to a smaller container. Everything else is a marketing lie.

Collusion: with the audio press and currently with mastering engineers being recruited as "reps".

I hear you, but wouldn't stretch it that far. MQA has some wiggle room :~)

I hope the press was just clueless rather than colluding, but that doesn't help the end result.

23 minutes ago, Digital Assassin said:

So...would does it seem credible on any level that tenured for decades editors of the only two US remaining audiophile print magazines are clueless? One who markets himself as an electronics engineer, a recording engineer, a musician, and who has measured thousands of components and speakers...clueless?

Or buttering the bread. I don't mind at all defending colleagues, and providing counterpoints, all sides need to make their points, but....

I hear ya. 

2 hours ago, Digital Assassin said:

Maybe I am off the mark, but you seem here to strike a perfect balance. The very fact you have these forums means you understand that consumers must be served. I don't know of any other audiophile publication, virtual, or print, that has this much exchange of information. I thank you.

Hi DA - Thanks for the kind words.

It's no secret that I feed my family from advertising income generated from CA. However, without putting the CA Community and readers / consumers first, there is no advertising income and there is no CA. For the most part ad prices are based on the amount of traffic a site receives. It's in my best interest to serve consumers and hope the income follows. It never turns out well for those who mix up the order of who is most important in this type of business. 

I could go on and on about this, but I hope my point is clear. It's just not worth it for me to chase advertising dollars by catering to manufacturers and putting the CA Community second. It also feels gross to think about running a business with those priorities mixed up. 

P.S. There are some very cool companies who totally understand this. They realize a stronger independent community is better for them than a site that is in their pocket. I enjoy working with these companies. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

Chris,

Why the snarkiness? The only difference between the original Berkeley DAC (your long time reference) and your even more beloved "Reference Series" (at nearly 3x the price) was upgraded passive parts quality - things that shouldn't make a difference yet obviously do to a trained listener with a familiar system playing familiar music. Specifically, a chassis machined from solid billet instead of bent sheet metal and a change from "standard" FR-4 PCB material to Rogers 4000 series, a low-loss material designed for GHz range circuits.

I think this is more than enough about who can hear what differences, and is certainly not the place. Please return to discussions about MQA.

Thanks,

Charles Hansen

It was just a joke.