IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 minutes ago, Currawong said:

From my interactions on the Roon forums, there is no problem posting negatively about MQA. The people who get jumped on are the ones who post personal attacks, even veiled ones. I've not been moderated at all on their forums, so if you are, maybe it is because what you post gets flagged as breaking the rules?

Every one breaks the rules - it is obvious from the selective enforcement what the moderators line is.  And like I said, is not that they do not allow negative posts and/or threads. They throttle them, so get shoved from the trending topics. Plus the MQA fans liberally use the very permissive flagging system to censor posts. And yes I know, flagging does not completely hide posts but still, very easy to censor. Check for the MQA vs PCM thread. Once the MQA skeptics started flagging stuff, the thread was closed.

Again, is not that they completely disallow criticism. They do seem to want to give the illusion of freedom. It is that the criticism gets push down and out by moderators and the pro MQA crowd, which, to be fair, seems to be a majority... 

v

2 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Since day one MQA has been all smoke and mirrors. It has perpetuated itself by illusion and self promotion. The carnival barkers at the publications sang its praises. The concept even appealed to me. Initially.

Until I looked behind the curtain.

The stink of this scheme became overwhelming to me.

There were equipment manufacturers that saw what affect this scheme would have on the future of the music business. To their credit they refused to become enablers for this scheme. They had ethical standards. That is the main reason that I bought my Benchmark Dac3.

There were other manufacturers that simply took the "give the customer what they want" attitude, whether they believed in MQA or not.

In essence, there are enablers of MQA, without whom MQA would have died the death the scheme should have.

I won't support anyone that enables MQA and allows them to continue pushing their scheme.

MQA is a pox on the music consumer.

I certainly agree with you. I have not given a penny to any company that has partnered with MQA. I had Roon well before, and all my gear was made by companies that rejected MQA.

At least Roon does not force MQA on you, except if you are a Tidal sub, where they supposedly prioritize MQA. Again, easy fix for all concerned parties, ditch Tidal.   We know that some DAC makers force the MQA filter on all data, and this is beyond unacceptable.  Anyone who buys such a product deserves what they get...lossy conversion.

3 hours ago, lamode said:

There are laws in the UK against false and misleading advertising. ( see https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/regulations-that-affect-advertising )

Maybe someone in the UK could start the process of reporting MQA to their local Trading Standards office?

It has been done.  It did not get the desired result though:

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/mqa-ltd-a18-470395.html

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hopefully without mQa inside like they do with FLAC. 

This then begs the following questions-

-Will Apple allow integration with streaming devices and interfaces? Or the usual bullshit of keeping it closed in their ecosystem?

-Will Apple use their power to squash the other services...Qobuz, Deezer etc...as they did with Pono?

IMO, if they stay above board, Master Quack Audio will wither and die.

Also, I am sure everyone has assumed it is Redbook only. Also they can afford to be very aggressive with their pricing...their Family Plan is tough to beat.

17 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

-Will Apple allow integration with streaming devices and interfaces? Or the usual bullshit of keeping it closed in their ecosystem?

I'm guessing the latter, streaming via AirPlay2 equipped devices only if past history is instructive.

18 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

-Will Apple use their power to squash the other services...Qobuz, Deezer etc...as they did with Pono?

I think in the near term it's more Spotify they have their eye on, as Spotify did show substantial paid subscriber growth between 4Q20 and 1Q21, suggesting there is still more marketshare out there to be had, and it's likely not from any audiophile niche, but from Joe and Jane Mainstream that Spotify grew most recently.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

3 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I'm guessing the latter, streaming via AirPlay2 equipped devices only if past history is instructive.

I think in the near term it's more Spotify they have their eye on, as Spotify did show substantial paid subscriber growth between 4Q20 and 1Q21, suggesting there is still more marketshare out there to be had, and it's likely not from any audiophile niche, but from Joe and Jane Mainstream that Spotify grew most recently.

Good points.

On the first...that would be a shame, as it would give people a reason to stay with Tidal..as the convenience of integration is hard to pass up. 

On the second, yes, Spotify is the monster, but lossy as of now...but things can change quickly as we are seeing.

2 hours ago, Currawong said:

You don't have freedom on any forum. You're always at the will of the owner. That being said, the posts I saw as flagged were fairly pointless crap. I haven't seen a well-written post be flagged and hidden, especially if it was on-topic.

It's not a battle between people who like MQA and those that don't. If you treat it like one, then discussion will go that way, and it's clearly not something not wanted there.   

If you discuss ideas, rather than people, and it is on topic, there is no reason for someone to flag your posts. I see too much of people implying less than polite things about people who are positive towards MQA in any way. That kind of thing negates any arguments made. The best way to support pro-MQA arguments is to act abusive towards people who have written about MQA or who like MQA-encoded music. 

Anyway, if Apple releases high-res lossless, as it appears to be something they are about to do, TIDAL is finished as a business. It'll be relegated to serving a tiny minority of listeners. For Roon customers, Deezer will become available, and MQA will slowly fade out, as it has been at audio shows pre-COVID.

1.- True - to be fair, the forums are the private property of the owner -  the owner sets the rules. I always respectfully point out what I disagree with. I am very often careful to indicate that the owners have the right to decided what kind of forum they want.  I also respectfully ask, well, just have them be clear. If they don't want MQA polemics, it should make it a rule explicitly.   

2.- Disagree on what gets flagged.  It  looks like you are on the Roon forum. You know then, that the flagging is done by  users and in general ( again, I have to generalize - after all we are all talking about a trend ) the MQA believers are tremendously petty  - they use the flagging system as if it was a "disagree" button. 

3.- I also have to disagree, and it comes back to rules, focus of the forum, the image they want to project and their selective enforcement of the rules. I will say plainly, the less polite and abusive people on the forum, at least on those discussions are the MQA believers. And they get lots of tolerance. Or used to. I haven't read any MQA discussions there lately. I think they are still ongoing, but as I mentioned before, they get push down to the the bottom of the topic highlights. Don't have the energy to look for them anymore! :D

4.- Again, I know is my fault, but would love to get away from the Roon forums topic. I do agree - while is possible for ALAC files to contain MQA, I don't think that it will be the case. This is going as predicted.

And of course, this is not petty ill-will towards people. It is unfortunate that, if this affects Tidal and Meridian, it might also have an effect on real people as opposed to that entity known as "the corporation".

Yet - free markets are like that. Public opinion is a market force; we are free to disagree and free to campaign etc. 

v

11 hours ago, Confused said:

It has been done.  It did not get the desired result though:

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/mqa-ltd-a18-470395.html

Interesting but I doubt that the ASA is the best forum for challenging MQA. MQA's response on that link was plain ridiculous:

MQA said the claim that their technology "reveals every detail of the original recording" was a statement of how listeners would perceive listening to a file created using their system, it was not a technical description of the file itself. They said their technology did not change the essential nature of any sound and that no part of the established human audio range was omitted or concealed. Being a new technology, they included lots of information on their website about how it worked.

That could just as easily describe MP3. What a joke. And no, they provided no useful information on their website about how it worked.

Volumio (with PEQ) on RPi4, Khadas Tone Board DAC, Luxman L-230 amp, Rega RS5 speakers