IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, Thuaveta said:

your conclusion is that @The Computer Audiophile is unfairly calling the panel an infomercial, because there's one person on it that is clearly extraordinarily competent and likely still has a shred of integrity left.

Please don't  put words in my mough. With all due respect, I think you are arguing with the voices in your head, Thuaveta.

John Atkinson

Techncial Editor, Stereophile

38 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Please don't  put words in my mough. With all due respect, I think you are arguing with the voices in your head, Thuaveta.

John Atkinson

Techncial Editor, Stereophile

Puppet Master Bob Stuart beat him to the punch. You are one of the "influencers" Master Quack Audio bamboozled, which they noted was their business plan in their public filings.

More from Hans ....

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

2 hours ago, FredericV said:

Hans did not debunk anything. From watching the video we learned:

1. he does not understand the science, he just assumes MQA works in a way he cannot prove, such as the usage of splines
  2. he is guessing
  3. he is using the argument from authority (argumentum ab auctoritate)
  4. he only reads official publications from MQA, AES, the patents - he does not investigate the research of independent researchers
  5. he looks a bit angry

His video can be summarized by this still:

afbeelding.thumb.png.940a4bb90f800e169c5b1a60b3dd44ca.png

He admits not going into any talking points from the GoldeSound video. Basically he cannot debunk them, and as in the usual MQA evangelist style, he uses the GO LISTEN argument:

afbeelding.thumb.png.3e6d9536a05e6a452b273b7e16c1ac01.png

Well we did that:

1. MQA changes the raw quality of female voices
2. MQA shortens the post echo's
3. Qobuz versions of certain demo quality tracks sound much better than the MQA version on Tidal
4. Some records totally sound different as if a different master was used
5. MQA's leaky filter make the bass tighter, which may be fun with EDM, but may sound artificial with real music
6. MQA files have less micro detail than even redbook files

We actually bought a full MQA enabled Mytek to do nearfield listening to MQA, just like in the studio, on real studio speakers (Amphion One 18). Those little monitors revealed the shortcomings of MQA easily.

Also undecoded MQA sounds more hash than the redbook versions, so MQA claiming undecoded MQA is already better than redbook does not hold any truth.

I don’t stream my music , I’ve never listened to the effects of MQA I just started following this topic just out of curiosity.

I’d like to point out I own the 432 Evo Aeon and I absolutely love what it does with well recorded vocals among other attributes this server brings to the table .

4D54AC1A-B062-4113-88E9-71AC3C6A46BA.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Archimago said:

John,

Since you're here on this thread, let's talk candidly. I appreciate all that you've done for the audiophile community over the decades. You can certainly be proud of many successes you have brought to Stereophile over the years. The measurements and continued focus on objective performance has made the magazine unique certainly in North America and among the magazines I've had access to during my "formative years" as an audiophile.

However, I suspect that the the time ahead for you as Technical Editor isn't going to be all that long. Honestly, how many more years are you keen to measure equipment? In fact, the age of most of your "top" writers are certainly up there and human auditory physiology has a universal trajectory. I hope you're well on the way to training the next person you'll be passing this baton on to for the Technical tasks. I'm sure there are many other things one would want to enjoy in retirement...

Your legacy however, IMO, is tainted in recent years by MQA. When you wrote the infamous article claiming to have witnessed the "birth of a new world" and comparing MQA with the dawn of consumer digital audio (CD), is this honestly what you expected to happen? Face it. MQA has done a horrendous disservice to the audiophile hobby. It has created a schism between those who feel that "we" care about "fidelity" at a level that can be technically demonstrated and proven (you're the Technical Editor, right?) versus those like Hans B above who offer weak words and admissions of "guessing".

I do not expect a reply to this. All I ask is that you think about not what MQA is since evidence is there for all to see, but at a "meta" level what MQA has done to the hobby and what it represents. Yes, I think MQA has opened up a "new world". But it's not the world you wrote about in December 2014. I think it has become a more honest world for audiophiles. MQA unintentionally may have brought audiophiles back into the technical side of the hobby; a side that I trust you are comfortable with.

There is an opportunity here to do the right thing IMO. Have a good look at MQA again as the Techical Editor all these years since 2014. Re-evaluate what you think of that "new world" and MQA's place in it. There's no shame in changing opinions. If you think this is necessary/appropriate, certainly many of us here would respect the integrity.

Can't,  wont, and never going to happen with John. My hunch, based on human psychology is that John couldn't handle the ridicule/distancing  from peers with a vested interest, his own vested interest,  and the backlash from the MQA fanboys. People who put themselves on a platform above truth don't like to admit when they are wrong. It takes tremendous courage to change direction, and I wouldn't hold my breath in this case. Good luck with that Arch.