IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

I can never see MQA being a "niche" segment of the music business.  As long as MQA exists they will continue to try and implement their business plan to be "THE" music distribution method.  The BS would continue on ad infinitum.

I would never consider Tidal as long as they were contributing to MQA.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

I can never see MQA being a "niche" segment of the music business.  As long as MQA exists they will continue to try and implement their business plan to be "THE" music distribution method.  The BS would continue on ad infinitum.

I would never consider Tidal as long as they were contributing to MQA.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but don’t think that Tidal are necessarily culpable in this whole mess. Meaning, perhaps they should be given the benefit of the doubt as to their guilt. 

I do subscribe to Tidal with their HiFi option, essentially Redbook standard, and for 20 clams a month in Canada think it’s a great value. And, not having any other options it’s Tidal by default for any decent sound quality. 

Who know the type of pressure that could have been brought to bear against Tidal by the music labels?  It’s not hard to imagine a conversation where someone says “We’re agreed then, all highres tracks will be MQA versions.”

27 minutes ago, StephenJK said:

Who know the type of pressure that could have been brought to bear against Tidal by the music labels?  It’s not hard to imagine a conversation where someone says “We’re agreed then, all highres tracks will be MQA versions.”

But it's not just high resolution, it's CD resolution tracks too. Tidal actively promotes MQA as "the best" sound. When I cancelled my membership I told them it was because Warner had replaced all CD albums with MQA versions. A month later Tidal sent me a "please come back" email, touting MQA as a reason I should be interested. So it's more than just pressure from the music labels.

20 minutes ago, Daccord said:

But it's not just high resolution, it's CD resolution tracks too. Tidal actively promotes MQA as "the best" sound. When I cancelled my membership I told them it was because Warner had replaced all CD albums with MQA versions. A month later Tidal sent me a "please come back" email, touting MQA as a reason I should be interested. So it's more than just pressure from the music labels.

Hmm, so Tidal don't read the reasons for leaving in the form and shotgun cancellations to lure back people, sounds counter intuitive. Warner most likely spent Mega$ on MQA, so Tidal HAVE to use it, or lose a large section of the offering. Rock and hard place. 

Don't go back to Tidal then, let them rot. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

5 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Hmm, so Tidal don't read the reasons for leaving in the form and shotgun cancellations to lure back people, sounds counter intuitive. Warner most likely spent Mega$ on MQA, so Tidal HAVE to use it, or lose a large section of the offering. Rock and hard place. 

Don't go back to Tidal then, let them rot. 

I’d bet Warner didn’t spend much on MQA. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, StephenJK said:

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but don’t think that Tidal are necessarily culpable in this whole mess. Meaning, perhaps they should be given the benefit of the doubt as to their guilt. 

I do subscribe to Tidal with their HiFi option, essentially Redbook standard, and for 20 clams a month in Canada think it’s a great value. And, not having any other options it’s Tidal by default for any decent sound quality. 

I would never subscribe to Tidal as long as they are supporting MQA.

It is truly a sad state if Tidal is your only option in Canada.

Tidal has gotten up with fleas.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

Is it just coincidence that straight after the ‘official’ Quobuz launch in AU/NZ – that Tidal announce a new pricing scheme … starting in AU ?

Must be a 1st down-under on the Audio front.

21 hours ago, Archimago said:

Hopefully the Industry recognizes that they "cannot fool all the people all the time".

Doubt it as they've been at it for decades - motto ... If at first you don't succeed ...

On the way :

“The key to experiencing 360 Reality Audio in hardware, is that each product will need to have Sony’s custom decoder built-in”. And then – “Dolby Atmos Music tracks work on any home audio kit that supports Dolby Atmos”.

49 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I would never subscribe to Tidal as long as they are supporting MQA.

It is truly a sad state if Tidal is your only option in Canada.

Tidal has gotten up with fleas.

There's also Deezer HiFi and Amazon Music HD. Qobuz is the only one missing that offers CD or better quality.

4 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

What, exactly, is a 1411Kbps FLAC file?

It's compression-less lossless, another Bob Stuart worldwide first.

The new acronym will be PLCAC, Perceptually Lossless Compression-less Audio Codec™.

4 hours ago, Archimago said:

FLAC Level 0 compression??? 🤪

Actually it's the all new FLAC level -1.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

10 hours ago, Daren F said:

In Canada this false advertising is a violation of Canadian Competition Law.

9 hours ago, UkPhil said:

the same in the UK, our advertising standards agency would have something to say about it 

And when they get fined, let me know....

They claimed MQA was lossless (still do, sometimes). Did anything happen?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 hours ago, Daren F said:

There's also Deezer HiFi and Amazon Music HD. Qobuz is the only one missing that offers CD or better quality.

I apologize, I should have reiterated the point I've made in other posts - available for streaming through Roon.  That's with Tidal, Qobuz and DropBox only.  Why a cloud service is included is beyond me.  If I'm going to buy new music, I'll add it to my local storage, not upload it to DropBox.

Only Tidal have subscriptions available in the Great White North, Qobuz has a special deal they've setup in Quebec for them only with a focus on French artists. 

Either way, MQA or not, having essentially Redbook music streaming from Tidal at a decent cost is still a way for me to find and listen to new music that's hard to find.  I do have over 1,500 LPs recorded and 1,000 CDs in my local storage as a fallback.  

15 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

What, exactly, is a 1411Kbps FLAC file?

That's a standard CD Redbook file.  The 16 bit/44.1 kHz sample rate gives you a 1,411 Kbps file - kilobits per second.  That, as compared to MP3, which at its highest rate is 320 Kbps

https://www.google.com/search?q=cd+kbps+rate&rlz=1C1OKWM_enCA906CA906&oq=cd+kbps+rate&aqs=chrome..69i57.6106j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

8 minutes ago, StephenJK said:

That's a standard CD Redbook file.  The 16 bit/44.1 kHz sample rate gives you a 1,411 Kbps file - kilobits per second.  That, as compared to MP3, which at its highest rate is 320 Kbps

https://www.google.com/search?q=cd+kbps+rate&rlz=1C1OKWM_enCA906CA906&oq=cd+kbps+rate&aqs=chrome..69i57.6106j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

But 1411 is for uncompressed audio. Apply any level of FLAC and it can’t be 1411. Apply FLAC uncompressed and you’ll likely get 1411. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png