Jump to content
IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, lucretius said:

However, Qobuz does not operate in Canada, so that leaves Tidal as the only realistic streaming solution.

 

It doesn't operate in Japan either, yet I could sign up for it. *cough* ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Archimago said:

 

Hilarious that MQA is "going green" as a rationale. 🤣

 

Extra encoding, storage for the MQA-encoded version of all the music, unnecessary MQA-decoding hardware, more bandwidth used than just a true (preferred) 24/48 lossless FLAC stream. Then there's all that Ultimaco "digital security" hardware! 🤢

 

Talk about BS grasping at straws if that's the angle they want to take now! 😱

 


Interesting. If TIDAL has a lossless "HiFi" FLAC 16/44.1 or 16/48 option that's cheaper than the HiFi+ tier with MQA/surround/Atmos, I might be tempted as a Canadian since we have no Qobuz in these parts for Roon integration. Just make it competitively priced with Amazon Music HD which I'm currently using and the forthcoming Spotify lossless which basically means something like $10-$12.50/month here.

 

No love for Jay-Z, et al. but so long as I don't give 1¢ for MQA music streaming, I might be OK with Tidal.

Although Jay-Z still has a hand in it he is now a minority owner of Tidal (still doesn’t make it any better though):  https://news.yahoo.com/jack-dorseys-square-now-majority-185107101.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is some pricing information up on the AUS site now.

 

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-au/articles/115003662825-Subscription-Types

    • Premium - $11.99 AUD a month with standard sound quality (320 Kbps)
    • HiFi - $17.99 AUD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps)
    • HiFi Plus - $23.99 AUD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps), Master Quality audio (up to 9216 Kbps), and immersive audio - 360 Reality Audio, Dolby Atmos Music
    • Family Premium - $17.99 AUD a month including up to 5 additional family members totaling 6 on the account. Standard sound quality (320 Kbps)
  • Family HiFi - $26.99 AUD a month including up to 5 additional family members totaling 6 on the account. Lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps)
  • Family HiFi Plus - $35.99 AUD a month including up to 5 additional family members totaling 6 on the account. Lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps), Master Quality audio (up to 9216 Kbps), and immersive audio - 360 Reality Audio, Dolby Atmos Music
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, robi20064 said:

There is some pricing information up on the AUS site now.

 

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-au/articles/115003662825-Subscription-Types

    • Premium - $11.99 AUD a month with standard sound quality (320 Kbps)
    • HiFi - $17.99 AUD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps)
    • HiFi Plus - $23.99 AUD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps), Master Quality audio (up to 9216 Kbps), and immersive audio - 360 Reality Audio, Dolby Atmos Music
    • Family Premium - $17.99 AUD a month including up to 5 additional family members totaling 6 on the account. Standard sound quality (320 Kbps)
  • Family HiFi - $26.99 AUD a month including up to 5 additional family members totaling 6 on the account. Lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps)
  • Family HiFi Plus - $35.99 AUD a month including up to 5 additional family members totaling 6 on the account. Lossless High Fidelity sound quality (1411 Kbps), Master Quality audio (up to 9216 Kbps), and immersive audio - 360 Reality Audio, Dolby Atmos Music

Very confusing as I have just been given this screen shot is Tidal also going to give us 24bit lossless PCM in the options 

67A72490-726A-4280-A355-55CF1369E0B3.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

I can't imagine that this price model adjustment will change anything regarding the actual files that are being streamed. But once it's out here in the UK i'll test it

It seems Tidal has gone into meltdown, if they are going to offer 24bit PCM too in the hifi plus package this could be the end of MQA's reign 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, UkPhil said:

It seems Tidal has gone into meltdown, if they are going to offer 24bit PCM too in the hifi plus package this could be the end of MQA's reign 


I doubt it, it looks like it’s sourced from MQA at all tier levels.


https://community.roonlabs.com/t/tidal-hifi-plus-mqa-damage-control/157461/16?u=drtone

 

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lucretius said:

 

Then I would need to pay for a VPN service and get an American issued credit card.


And you only need the vpn to initially sign up after that it isn’t needed.  They can’t expect you to be at home to use their service.

 

Any free vpn client on an iphone would work for sign up.  I used tunnel bear.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lucretius said:

 

Then I would need to pay for a VPN service and get an American issued credit card.

 

Here's some info on how to get a US account in unsupported countries - LINK

 

I haven't tried it myself. I was fortunate to get a French account back when qobuz would remove the geo-restrictions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Archimago said:

 

Hilarious that MQA is "going green" as a rationale. 🤣

 

Extra encoding, storage for the MQA-encoded version of all the music, unnecessary MQA-decoding hardware, more bandwidth used than just a true (preferred) 24/48 lossless FLAC stream. Then there's all that Ultimaco "digital security" hardware! 🤢

 

Talk about BS grasping at straws if that's the angle they want to take now! 😱

 


Interesting. If TIDAL has a lossless "HiFi" FLAC 16/44.1 or 16/48 option that's cheaper than the HiFi+ tier with MQA/surround/Atmos, I might be tempted as a Canadian since we have no Qobuz in these parts for Roon integration. Just make it competitively priced with Amazon Music HD which I'm currently using and the forthcoming Spotify lossless which basically means something like $10-$12.50/month here.

 

No love for Jay-Z, et al. but so long as I don't give 1¢ for MQA music streaming, I might be OK with Tidal.

Why not sign up for Deezer? They have a CD quality tier that's reasonably priced. Available in Canada and about 184 other countries. No Roon integration, but...no MQA. 

I predict that  if Tidal makes a CD quality tier cheaper than the "masters", a fair number of people will leave the masters tier and most premium signups will be to the CD tier. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KeenObserver said:

 

I have to wonder what Bob Stuart tells himself when he comes out with this stuff.

Is he so far into this that he would sell his soul to see it through? He knows very well that this is all bullshit.

People can convice themselves of all sorts of things - and believe them - when profit is involved.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, firedog said:

Why not sign up for Deezer? They have a CD quality tier that's reasonably priced. Available in Canada and about 184 other countries. No Roon integration, but...no MQA. 

I predict that  if Tidal makes a CD quality tier cheaper than the "masters", a fair number of people will leave the masters tier and most premium signups will be to the CD tier. 

Wish it was so well...

Everything from 2L is "MQA first/only"... now 

Guess the same will happen to some, if not most of the material from Warner, Sony and UMG also

 

582942475_Screenshot2021-04-28at10_50_31.thumb.png.66728ac3b8770de04e3f1a2ba94549bb.png192096938_Screenshot2021-04-28at10_51_51.thumb.png.069f14b2b8ffa419652bdf237609c1e4.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bambadoo said:

Wish it was so well...

 

582942475_Screenshot2021-04-28at10_50_31.thumb.png.66728ac3b8770de04e3f1a2ba94549bb.png192096938_Screenshot2021-04-28at10_51_51.thumb.png.069f14b2b8ffa419652bdf237609c1e4.png

If it is only 2L albums, not really. 2L only releases "CD" quality as MQA CD. But the number of 2L CD tracks is probably about .0000001 of the Deezer catalog. Those tracks are also at Qobuz. 

It doesn't mean they are "supporting" MQA. 

Even those of us who are anti-MQA need to have some perspective.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

MQA influencers continually tell the gullible that MQA "improves" the music. Anyone with any intellectual capacity can tell that this is pure BS.

Just for fun, I Googled that - Does MQA improve the music? 

 

The first hit is how only MQA addresses something called time-smearing.  I don't know what that is, but it sure doesn't sound very good. 

 

Then, we have only MQA providing time-domain accuracy, which sounds like something anybody would want.  

 

It sounds like a solution to a problem that I didn't know I had, and I think I'm supposed to be grateful for that. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Daren F said:

 

Here's some info on how to get a US account in unsupported countries - LINK

 

I haven't tried it myself. I was fortunate to get a French account back when qobuz would remove the geo-restrictions.

 

I've seen similar instructions like this before for signing up to other geo-restricted services.  I don't want Qobuz bad enough to go through this amount of effort.

mQa is dead!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lucretius said:

 

I've seen similar instructions like this before for signing up to other geo-restricted services.  I don't want Qobuz bad enough to go through this amount of effort.

 

I agree, it's a PITA.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...