IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

Interesting content from Danny @ Roon, it turns out that MQA gets payed per track played using software decoding.

Those still using Tidal and software decoding are continually feeding MQA money.

We don't all have options available to us.  In Canada, and using Roon, the only streaming platforms configured are Tidal, Qobuz and DropBox.  

Unfortunately, Qobuz won't allow accounts from Canada, at least not yet.  I did send them an email, and received a very polite reply that said "not available."  I would prefer Qobuz, not only for highres files but also to be able to buy music I would like to add permanently to my library.

In the meantime, my only option is Tidal.  

6 minutes ago, StephenJK said:

We don't all have options available to us.  In Canada, and using Roon, the only streaming platforms configured are Tidal, Qobuz and DropBox.  

Unfortunately, Qobuz won't allow accounts from Canada, at least not yet.  I did send them an email, and received a very polite reply that said "not available."  I would prefer Qobuz, not only for highres files but also to be able to buy music I would like to add permanently to my library.

In the meantime, my only option is Tidal.  

I’m Canadian.  I choose not to stream via Roon.

You can use Roon/Tidal with the MQA core decoder turned off as Danny suggests.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

25 minutes ago, firedog said:

Roon also pays for the users' accessing metadata. From what was said on the Roon site, it's Roon collecting the data for decoder royalty payments, not MQA. But Tidal of course, does know what you play from there, MQA or not.

There's nothing sinister about that.  Netflix and Disney+ etc. all know what you're up to, you and your family.  Oh, and your phone provider knows who you're calling, and who called you.  :)

1 minute ago, Dr Tone said:

I’m Canadian.  I choose not to stream via Roon.

All good.  Following recommendations here I turned off the Roon part of MQA decoding. 

Streaming with Tidal through Roon gives me the opportunity to sample music that I normally could only do by purchasing a CD or LP, or watching some lousy YouTube video.  Where I used to buy a few CDs or more a month and the occasional LP now it's only $20 a month for Tidal.  I think it's a great value for essentially Redbook sound quality.  

1 hour ago, StephenJK said:

There's nothing sinister about that.  Netflix and Disney+ etc. all know what you're up to, you and your family.  Oh, and your phone provider knows who you're calling, and who called you.  :)

1 hour ago, StephenJK said:

Didn't say it was sinister. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I was wondering a bit after our last exchange @KeenObserver

Are the owner of MQA this type of Koch or Mercer billionaires , just coming form South Africa and investing in Europe (Swiss, Luxembourg and the UK), actually into everything that generates money?
The brilliant 2005 comedy "Thank you for smoking" with Aaron Eckhart came to mind.
To rephrase my bizzare thoughts: If that film would have made 500 millions worldwide we would have had a chance that people might have been interested in the scrupelous ownership of MQA ...

44 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

I was wondering a bit after our last exchange @KeenObserver

Are the owner of MQA this type of Koch or Mercer billionaires , just coming form South Africa and investing in Europe (Swiss, Luxembourg and the UK), actually into everything that generates money?
The brilliant 2005 comedy "Thank you for smoking" with Aaron Eckhart came to mind.
To rephrase my bizzare thoughts: If that film would have made 500 millions worldwide we would have had a chance that people might have been interested in the scrupelous ownership of MQA ...

The original family member that grew the fortune passed away. His grandson, of the same name, is on the board of MQA.

The family paid to publish a history, and many blurbs have been written, that seem to be from a PR firm.

But if you dig down and find the real history, it is not so pretty.

I do not think that they would have accumulated the vast wealth that they did if Apartheid was not in effect.

The way that MQA is trying to take over the music business smells of past history.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

Perhaps Extinction Rebellion would be interested if they would knew that the shareholders of MQA own as well large investments in fossil fuel companies? Just a thought ...

Afterthought: that type of irresponsible investors just don't care about anything else than profits, not about Human Rights, not about Climate Crisis, not about Sound Quality ... What a shame!

16 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Is the opposition to MQA reaching critical mass?

Are people finally realizing the truth about MQA?

Impossible to say for sure at the moment I think, but here is a little piece of information:

I notice that the GoldenSound video on YouTube is currently showing 130,696 views with 8,900 likes and 99 dislikes.  Based on this, the dislikes are currently running at about 1% of those that viewed and bothered to rate.

Purely anecdotal, but the GoldenSound video was posted on another forum, one or two subsequent posters noted that they had switched from Tidal to Qobuz for reasons of sound quality.  One poster mentioned he had previously avoided Qobuz as it did not have the content he required, but this was no longer an issue for him as the Qobuz music selection had now improved.

It would be nice if there were some accurate and up to date numbers for Tidal versus Qobuz subscribers, but I do not think any exist?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

2 hours ago, Confused said:

Impossible to say for sure at the moment I think, but here is a little piece of information:

I notice that the GoldenSound video on YouTube is currently showing 130,696 views with 8,900 likes and 99 dislikes.  Based on this, the dislikes are currently running at about 1% of those that viewed and bothered to rate.

Purely anecdotal, but the GoldenSound video was posted on another forum, one or two subsequent posters noted that they had switched from Tidal to Qobuz for reasons of sound quality.  One poster mentioned he had previously avoided Qobuz as it did not have the content he required, but this was no longer an issue for him as the Qobuz music selection had now improved.

It would be nice if there were some accurate and up to date numbers for Tidal versus Qobuz subscribers, but I do not think any exist?

I noticed that the number of views on this thread went from 1.3M to 1.4M. That means that another hundred thousand have seen an alternate view of MQA other than the BS put out by BS.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

28 minutes ago, UkPhil said:

I have been following a few Roon community threads in the last few days, jeez I’m seeing some serious censoring going on with deleted posts that attempts to argue against MQA, could desperation be setting in only this morning one thread went from 139 to 105 posts in a matter of hours 

To be fair to the Roon forum mods that thread has rules in the first post to limit the discussion to why hardware manufacturers implement MQA and was full of the usual personal bickering and sound quality observations.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I'm so tired of MQA being able to have the power to play and not be able to force Roon to not play any MQA tracks.  I'd have no issue with Qobuz but I do find that Tidal has a better selection for some of the obscure things I tend to like.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Does anyone know the relation of Roon's Sarah Stuart to MQA's Bob Stuart?

"Sarah works on music editorial and research as part of Roon’s Music Team." https://blog.roonlabs.com/author/sarah/

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/sarah-stuart-7889b1150

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 2.18.41 PM.png

This is more a comment than an answer. I have a vague recollection that Roon was spun off from Meridian or something like that (and ashamed that is vague, because I think it was last week that I read something like that, but well, memory...), so it makes sense that it might be a relationship, even if Stuart is a fairly common name... It would be interesting to confirm... or if not interesting, at least it would explain things over at the Roon forum.

v