IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, UkPhil said:

It seems PV is firing on all cylinders again on the Roon Community Site 

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/comparison-of-pcm-and-mqa/149787/435

If you look PV's linkedin profile and then at his employers website, you may come to the conclusion that they are looking for a replacement for his position ... perhaps he was transformed into full-time MQA-Evangelist ?
According to SHMF, Mr. Veth had been blamed for his MQA support in a call to his employer, when he was just three years into MQA support. Now he seems to be  in his sixth year and more present than ever.
Nevermind that social media exposition is quite time consuming.

If I was in the music business and a sound engineer was shilling for MQA, under no circumstances whatsoever would I let that engineer anywhere near my music.

If a music engineer is in such desperate straits that they are shilling for MQA, that is not someone you want anywhere near your music.

MQA is a pox on the music consumer and is a pox on the future of quality music.

It is becoming increasingly clear that the closer we come to reproducing music perfectly, the more the majors do not want us to have perfect music.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I would absolutely be terrible if people started using this as the MQA logo. 

mQa.jpg

Oi!  MQA is British.  (or arguably English)

You guys can't be held responsible for everything.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

25 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Crikey, hope you're not suggesting that the Q should be in Union Jack colours - I'm just about to tuck into my tea here!  

My apologies for that one. 🙂

On reflection, the more “anonymous” looking US version is far more suitable.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

48 minutes ago, Confused said:

In fairness to Cookie Marenco and & Blue Coast records, it does say this on their website:

To compare an MQA encoded file that was originally recorded to DSD256 would be like comparing a $2000 Mytek DSD DAC to a $25,000 DSD DAC from Playback Designs.  I love them both when I don't compare them. Many people can't hear a difference.

Personally I look at this a little differently.  If a relatively small record label is aware that there is demand for MQA, or that a particular streaming service will only deal with them if they provide MQA files, then it is good business sense for them to offer MQA.  Note that Blue Coast is offering MQA as an option, DSD, FLAC and WAV are also offered.

Furthermore, they also offer a free download in different file formats so you can try and hear for yourself:

To quote:

If you want to compare for yourself, we now include an MQA file along with the 9 other files in our free test download located here.

https://bluecoastmusic.com/free-downloads

Better than guessing or reading, listen for yourself.

All of this seems reasonable to me.  (As an aside, the above linked free download might offer a relatively unusual opportunity to compare MQA files with other formats, free of any MQA EQ manipulation or similar.  I might be wrong, but I suspect these examples will be identical, other than the format differences.  Can anyone confirm this, or otherwise?)

The issue as I see it is a different one.  Labels like Blue Coast would not be bothering with MQA if there was not a demand for it.  So the issue is not with Blue Coast doing what they have to do from a business perspective, the issue is that there is demand for MQA.

I see this more as a failure of those of see MQA for what it really is not getting the message out.  The message is clear enough on this thread, but is the message reaching the big bad world out there?  It would appear not I think.

Would you not need MQA compatible hardware to be able to play the MQA sample?  If you bought hardware that was compatible, could there be the inclination for a slight bias?

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

We should also keep in mind these are likely white gloved MQA, not batch processed. 

So you are thinking that very possibly they have actually been “tweaked” by MQA?

I always thought that "white glove" processing meant:

1. carefully prepare a new master (in good old PCM, mind you)
  2. encode it in MQA, the usual way
  3. release to public only the encoded version and keep PCM master in safe

which would not entirely apply in case of BC because, presumably, the master they release in FLAC/DSD is already a carefully prepared master.

7 minutes ago, danadam said:

which would not entirely apply in case of BC because, presumably, the master they release in FLAC/DSD is already a carefully prepared master.

Well, just ask Neil Young if that was done with his masters, on Tidal. If it was, then why did he pull his music?

It is just more hand waving and marketing nonsense.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

21 minutes ago, danadam said:

The above is exactly what I was thinking in my earlier post.  Reading the comments of others, I am now not so sure.  I guess we will never know for sure.

I might try the Blue Coast sample files out of pure curiosity.  In the past I tried comparing MQA versus PCM with some of the 2L sample files and found not a lot of difference, so it might tell me something if the Blue Coast samples did somehow sound radically different.

1 hour ago, StephenJK said:

Would you not need MQA compatible hardware to be able to play the MQA sample?  If you bought hardware that was compatible, could there be the inclination for a slight bias?

Confirmation bias is a powerful thing, that is for sure.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

My guess is they’ve been converted using the utmost care and any options in the process that make it sound better we’re likely used. What those options are, are unknown to me. 

Has anyone played any of the tracks? Are they blue light or green light?

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.