IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

You know it is quite simple. If you don’t like MQA then don’t use it. And if you haven’t heard it over a decent period of time then you aren’t qualified to comment. I’ve listened for at least two years using Tidal. I’ve tried two DAC’s. A Meridian Explorer2 and now PS DirectStream Jnr. I hear the difference. MQA to my ears is usually better than CD. That’s all that matters. But if you don’t agree then fine. Don’t use it. Blimey, lie down in a darkened room with a glass of something and find some peace. I find it with MQA...But of you find it through Qobuz, MP3’s or 78’s that’s great.

1 hour ago, Kevin Brock said:

You know it is quite simple.

It is not quite simple, but then I'd expect because you are brand new to this thread that you've not actually read much of it.

Take a good look, there are lots of reasons why it is not quite simple, and what most of us are objecting to is the threat to consumers and choice that MQA represents, not to mention imposition of DRM.

I hear the difference. MQA to my ears is usually better than CD.

You are in the minority there, various different user groups, as well as the McGill study don't agree.

But if you don’t agree then fine. Don’t use it.

Oh we definitely won't, nor any product such as TIDAL that endorses or licenses MQA and participates in the scheme. We don't want our consumer choice to be eliminated by the greedy record labels and their investment banking backers, so the last thing we'd do is support companies or products attempting to do just that.

Welcome to the forum by the way, wow your very first post here, a vehement defense of MQA. Signed up just for that?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

On 3/11/2021 at 10:44 PM, lucretius said:

HEM designed and built the products.  Mytek Audio simply requested what kind of products that HEM should design and build and Mytek Audio marketed these products.  The relationship between Mytek Audio and HEM did not end amicably.  LOL, it goes beyond service and quality -- I believe that Mytek Audio thinks HEM was steeling its brand.  However, between Mytek Audio and HEM, it's the latter that had the engineering chops.

Dear Lucretius

Not  sure what is your name and how are you obtaining the information you are posting here, but your posts seems to be intentionally misleading.

To set the record straight: HEM was a contract manufacturer of Mytek products. Same as Foxconn is for Apple. HEM DID NOT "design" them, all technology, DSD, MQA, sound quality  and creative ideas such as aluminum panels are Mytek's and come from our brains in New York. They never had the kind of expertise needed to design audiophile equipment or understanding of the requirements of audiophile market. The owner, Marcin Hamerla doesn't even have a pair of speakers in his house. This is not what they do, they manufacture electronics, do low level engineering and firmware programming, solder boards, assemble boxes and pack them. Same way like Foxconn makes the iphones.  Specifications for all this always came from Mytek. Whatever they have learned about high end audio, they learned from Mytek.

We have given them  distribution of Mytek products in EU in 2004 and this turned out to be a strategic mistake. 3 years ago they decided to break agreement with us and pretend they are the Mytek in Europe, financial greed being the motivation. This is why we are where we are: in court waiting for resolution later this year. We will maintain this policy going forward:

https://mytek.audio/contact

We are terribly sorry some customers got caught in the middle, we want to assure everybody that the new product line this time made exclusively by Mytek without HEM will be superior to anything Mytek made to date and without any such liabilities. Our new product line is the most advanced and ambitious we ever attempted. Particularly new DAC/streamers. We are growing our own design team and have a new factory.

All customers who may have doubts should contact us directly for full continued support on the Mytek products they own or for the upgrade path towards future products.

As for now discontinued products made by HEM, whatever "Mytek"  is peddled by HEM is now considered by us to be illegal counterfeit product and I would suggest buying these products from HEM means risk and potential liability. 

https://mytek.audio

Sincerely, Michal at Mytek, President and Founder.

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=general&m=37527

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-note-uk-vs-kondo-audio-note-japan-1

https://books.google.com/books?id=AQoEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA48&dq=mytek&pg=PA48&fbclid=IwAR3TY_Das1ZG2cOqdHKbc8lkAs53U1KMIR8Mr2Y0iVgVN-KPZIQK3yND0eo#v=onepage&q=mytek&f=false

Mytek's_High-End_Converter_Helps_Define_Digital_Standard-Billboard-1997-09-13.jpg

Ok, where do I start? The TIDAL question. You have a choice. Move to Qobuz if you really believe the sound quality is better. In the UK and USA at least Qobuz even costs less. Sadly not yet in Europe and I’m afraid I don’t know what’s happening across the globe.

To KeenObserver. This is a forum where I believe you are allowed to disagree. If you only want to hear your own opinion then I suggest recording it and playing it back over headphones. You don’t like MQA...fine. You are free to express that. But have you listened to it? 

MikeyFresh. No, I haven’t read all 869 pages of this thread. I have, however, read a great deal of the arguments for and against MQA over the past few years and tried to understand the pros and cons. I’ve also listened. Have you? As for DRM...it’s not an issue. I can’t see that it ever will be. 

Greedy record labels. There are alternatives out there but I’m afraid we are stuck with the giants for the majority of our music. However why would MQA make this worse? While you can buy MQA CD’s it really is a niche market. And when it comes to streaming you have an ever increasing choice from Spotify to Amazon to TIDAL and Qobuz. I was delighted, by the way, when Warner’s joined the MQA fold. Investment bankers...Private Equity... I despise what they do too. Come the revolution...but as this isn’t a political site...

A vehement defence? I think not. Just my view. I don’t really get the anger that develops among MQA sceptics but whatever keeps you going through this pandemic winter. I don’t believe I’m in the minority when it comes to people who have actually listened to MQA. It seems most actually like what it does. But if they don’t then great. It’s all opinion. As long as you’ve listened.

Perhaps the problem is that Bob Stuart and co. didn’t tell the MQA story very well. I grabbed what I could through the pages of Stereophile (oh, I feel more rage and passion descending upon me from the angry mob) and then listened. I do seem to say listen and listened a great deal. Must be a common theme.

One final thing. Mytek. It seems to be a bit of a non story. Company moves production to another factory. Hey, what do I know? I shall leave you to your conspiracy theories as I realise I have no chance of persuading anyone. And it really doesn’t matter. Life is far too short. Have fun. And enjoy the music.

59 minutes ago, Kevin Brock said:

One final thing. Mytek. It seems to be a bit of a non story. Company moves production to another factory.

Mytek did NOT move current production to another factory.  Rather, they put in orders for an entirely new product line with another factory.

mQa is dead!

I’d love to know where you discovered that Tidal would move all content to MQA. Also I’ve yet to hear a bad 2L recording. As for MQA removing choice..ridiculous.

And I didn’t use the word ‘current’ in connection with Mytek... I doubt the new products will be far removed from those of the past few years.

Twelve hours on this thread is enough. And I’ve yet to hear if any of you have actually listened to MQA. Sound and fury signifying nothing.

But have you listened to it? 

I had a Tidal subscription for more than 2 years before cancelling.  I also own a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and owned a Brooklyn DAC (non-plus) before that.

However why would MQA make this worse?

The supply of available CDs is drying up and we are not likely to see any reissues or remasters from the big three.

mQa is dead!

3 minutes ago, Kevin Brock said:

The Computer Audiophile... I’m actually replying to a suggestion that MQA is leading to the demise of CD’s. So it may be obvious but not to all. Please try to read the posts...new glasses perhaps?

Nobody is foolish enough to suggest MQA is leading to a reduction in the availability of CDs. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

19 minutes ago, Kevin Brock said:

And I didn’t use the word ‘current’ in connection with Mytek... I doubt the new products will be far removed from those of the past few years.

You have seen this from Mytek:

"Brooklyn Bridge I (original) has been discontinued and no further firmware development beyond V1.44 will be conducted."  By extension, all firmware development for the Brooklyn DAC+ and Brooklyn DAC has been discontinued.

mQa is dead!

38 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Nobody is foolish enough to suggest MQA is leading to a reduction in the availability of CDs. 

Yeah I missed that supposed suggestion, I don't think that was a thing. However MQA has definitely led to a reduction in the availability of real Redbook quality content on TIDAL.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group