IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, Don Blas De Lezo said:

If Tidal offered to pay me 50 bucks cash monthly to use it and Qobuz doubled their price , I would still stick with Qobuz easily .  I'll put sound quality and morals above saving a few bucks any day. 

Morals and bucks discussions don't make a lot of sense without know each participants level of disposable income. One person's insignificant amount is significant for another.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 minutes ago, firedog said:

Morals and bucks discussions don't make a lot of sense without know each participants level of disposable income. One person's insignificant amount is significant for another.

I don't disagree with what you're saying but, 40% off of $20.00 is $14.29. About the same price as a qobuz account.

37 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Problem is your Dirac Live IS NOT compatible with MQA. MQA does not allow any Room correction software to be used on it's files as it already used DSP as part of the decoding/encoding.

Thank you for this additional information. 

Explains, perhaps, why to my ears I preferred no room correction in the end result. 
I've ditched Dirac Live for near four months now. 

Appreciate you input. 

Bluesound Node 2i

Sony 65 inch OLED A8G, Sony 4k Blue Ray X700

Parasound Halo A31 Amplifier

Tekton Ulfberht L + C + R Speakers [4 ohms ea.]
Two Tekton Active [300 watts rms] 4-10 Subwoofers

32 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Couldn't disagree more strongly. There have always been Walmart shoppers and always will be. That doesn't mean the rest of us don't exist. 

Ha love your response,

Please excuse my defeated morale in sarcasm. 
You gents have been enjoyable to engage w/. 
I need spend more time here. 

Enjoy!

Bluesound Node 2i

6 hours ago, Shimei said:

There used to be a time when contradictions were indicators of illogic, irrationality, or hypocrisy. However, nobody really cares anymore. Welcome to the new norm. 

Only in Trumpland.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 2/21/2021 at 6:34 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

No, MQA removes data to decrease file size. The encoded file just tells the DAC to upsample the audio to 192 or whatever high rate was the original. No data is expanded or gotten back. Given that 99% of DACs upsample internally to much higher rates than that, it’s kind of comical. 

That doesn't sound right. Everything I've read previously indicated that the "rendering" process involves upsampling to the highest rate of the DAC (using their custom mnimum-phase-like filters). The original sample rate is simply available as meta data to be displayed by the DAC or software.

4 hours ago, ShawnC said:

Years ago when I was researching Meridian speakers I was surprised that have never updated their DACs to meet the higher rate demanded by the consumer, yet their eager to display what the consumer wants, even if it can't deliver.

it's still not uncommon for DRC systems to work at rates of 96 or even 48.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

All other arguments aside, the fact that Qobuz sounds better than TIDAL, and not by a small margin, should be enough to seal the deal. I will admit I have a TIDAL subscription but that's because I have people in my house that like music that Qobuz doesn't have. If that were no longer an issue I would drop TIDAL like a hot potato. However, I do not infect my personal Euphony Server with TIDAL, that stays in the Roon library on an entirely different machine, I have some standards...  ;-)

I haven't actually auditioned Qobuz after scrapping Dirac Live from out of the audio chain. Next month I'm going to revisit Qobuz. 
Question, anyone have anything to offer by way of equipment? I'm streaming from a Bluesound Node 2i directly to an amplifier. The once bottleneck [Dirac Live through a Minidsp DDRC-88A / BM] has been removed. 
Anyone aware of the Bluesound not being able to deliver the sampling rate Qobuz advertises? 
I'm using the internal DAC w/in the Bluesound Node 2i for 2.1 channel signaling. 

Bluesound Node 2i

2 minutes ago, Shimei said:

I haven't actually auditioned Qobuz after scrapping Dirac Live from out of the audio chain. Next month I'm going to revisit Qobuz. 
Question, anyone have anything to offer by way of equipment? I'm streaming direct from a Bluesound Node 2i directly to an amplifier. The once bottleneck [Dirac Live through a Minidsp DDRC-88A / BM] has been removed. 
Anyone aware of the Bluesound not being able to deliver the sampling rate Qobuz advertises? 
I'm using the internal DAC w/in the Bluesound Node 2i for 2.1 channel signaling. 

The Node 2i is a gem. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

14 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

All other arguments aside, the fact that Qobuz sounds better than TIDAL, and not by a small margin, should be enough to seal the deal. I will admit I have a TIDAL subscription but that's because I have people in my house that like music that Qobuz doesn't have. If that were no longer an issue I would drop TIDAL like a hot potato. However, I do not infect my personal Euphony Server with TIDAL, that stays in the Roon library on an entirely different machine, I have some standards...  ;-)

Whathifi doesn't agree with you: https://www.whathifi.com/us/qobuz/review

Anyway, apart from MQA and true high-res, which may sound different, there is no audible difference IME between Qobuz and Tidal when the same lossless redbook version of an album is streamed from either service using the same hardware. Are you sure you have exclusive mode and force volume checked and loudness normalisation unchecked in the Tidal client?

53 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am going to have to politely disagree with you.

I agree that the Whathifi article is BS. And IMO there is no obvious way the exact same bits will result in different sound depending on whether they are streamed from a Qobuz, or a Tidal server, especially when they are buffered and reclocked by a modern USB DAC. But I agree to disagree. It's basically the old bits are bits discussion and as such it has nothing to do with MQA.

4 hours ago, Abtr said:

I agree that the Whathifi article is BS. And IMO there is no obvious way the exact same bits will result in different sound depending on whether they are streamed from a Qobuz, or a Tidal server, especially when they are buffered and reclocked by a modern USB DAC. But I agree to disagree. It's basically the old bits are bits discussion and as such it has nothing to do with MQA.

You may wish to investigate, with some depth, how USB works. There is plenty of discussion in other threads about this.

On 2/16/2021 at 11:17 PM, Archimago said:

Darko is a salesman. He believes whatever the companies tell him to believe, be it expensive cables or promoting MQA. Of course, other audio magazines are like this as well...

This certainly appears to be the result, although I cannot say what Drako's intent was.