IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

28 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

So what would be a clever way to get rid of MQA ?

...per the article to which you linked, and business/life in general: you stop using it (DVD-A), or you out-compete it (iPod). It only exists to make money. If it doesn't make money, it ceases to exist, or is relegated to a niche market (sorry SACD--I still love ya).

You asked for clever; I gave you simple. Sorry...

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

7 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Everyone boycott Tidal, and Warner Music, and any vendor peddling MQA hardware products.

Seen as MQA is tiny when it comes to streaming if you take on board Spotify / Apple and behemoth Amazon, the issue isn’t Tidal the bigger issue is all the ground work has been done behind the scenes with the record companies buying into MQA ltd using Tidal as their test bench. If Tidal disappeared tomorrow I think the damage could already be done as the back catalogue could be processed as MQA and fed to all “lossless” companies as the only alternative keeping the revenue flowing. 

27 minutes ago, UkPhil said:

Seen as MQA is tiny when it comes to streaming if you take on board Spotify / Apple and behemoth Amazon, the issue isn’t Tidal the bigger issue is all the ground work has been done behind the scenes with the record companies buying into MQA ltd using Tidal as their test bench. If Tidal disappeared tomorrow I think the damage could already be done as the back catalogue could be processed as MQA and fed to all “lossless” companies as the only alternative keeping the revenue flowing. 

Let us hope that is not the case, and in the meantime, perhaps their little experiment would be halted if the dollars start to vanish both from Tidal, and/or the licensing from MQA hardware vendors. Boycotting that might put enough of a dent for the record labels to think twice.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

10 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Let us hope that is not the case, and in the meantime, perhaps their little experiment would be halted if the dollars start to vanish both from Tidal, and/or the licensing from MQA hardware vendors. Boycotting that might put enough of a dent for the record labels to think twice.

If I had to guess, I'd say Tidal is paying MQA between zero and $1 total. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If I had to guess, I'd say Tidal is paying MQA between zero and $1 total. 

You're probably right, but still, money talks, and if it came to be that Tidal were purchased by Square for instance, then perhaps a flight of subscribers would be enough to persuade Tidal to undock their ship from MQA.

I'd also like to think hardware license revenue doesn't amount to much either, you'd think those manufacturers would have been smart enough to know MQA needs them worse than they need MQA, and driven a hard deal that produces next to nothing for MQA per unit sold. But if that were true, then a shunning of those manufacturers may not produce the desired result, if implementing MQA isn't costing them very much right now.

Lastly there would be the labels themselves, it originally looked like MQA thought they'd be charging the labels for the MQA encoding, but at least initially, that payment came in the reverse form of MQA giving equity to the labels, so I'm not sure at what point the labels would wish to consider shifting revenue to MQA itself, knowing they are part owners, or walking away if the big payday they were promised never materializes.

That's why I agree with @KeenObserver, boycott Warner, hit them in the pocketbook, and if you must stream a Warner artist, only do so if a non-MQA stream is available to you. If not, buy the CD, even if a used copy.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

What will it cost to buy Tidal ? Or MQA ?

And would it be realistic to crow found enough money ? Even if it was only $10. 

I’m not sure boycotts will help.
Maybe advertising against them, but no one will be financing that. (Such things seems only to work for politicians). 

Can we hope for someone one day will show us this NDA that has to be signed ?

And be able to get the code ?

Can we convince some hackers to assist in the good cause ?

And will that even help at all. Probably not much, but the truth is always good. 

Is it realistic to have more interviews with Bob when situations allow for it, and will it help ? Has all questions been asked ?

I guess he have sold his products now, so no reason to promote it anymore.

If one should sue someone, who would that be and on what basis. You’re buying hires, but not getting it ?

Provenance ?

So is the battle lost ?

13 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I’m not sure boycotts will help.

They help, money talks.

14 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Is it realistic to have more interviews with Bob when situations allow for it, and will it help ?

No.

14 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Has all questions been asked ?

Yes. Read the thread as @KeenObserversuggested.

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

No, whether it's BB or BS, they never tell a straight or complete story. Giving them more space to talk is only beneficial to them, not consumers. 

Well said.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

11 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

There is NOTHING that MQA does that is a benefit to the music consumer.  There is nothing that MQA claims to do that cannot be done better by non proprietary means. MQA produces an added cost to the music consumer. 

MQA should be rejected by the music consumer for a number of reasons.

MQA claims to dramatically improve time domain errors. What non-MQA process can do this? Record in DXD? Move back to master reels? 

16 minutes ago, botrytis said:

This has been disproven by people, in this thread, and have shown it actually makes it worse. It also adds more noise and ringing. So, in point of fact, MQA does nothing at they say except line their pockets.

Well said, either GUTB has poor reading comprehension, or hasn't read much of anything at all, either here or in Archimago's blog which also covered this topic and has never been rebutted in any way.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

57 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Yo @GUTB. What "hobby horse" dude?

If you're referring to MQA, I haven't posted an article on my blog focused on it in more than a year. At most I might have mentioned it in passing over the last 60 posts.

Sure, this is what they claim.

But after all these years, can you show me one specific example, or concrete demonstration where the decoded MQA output has clearly improved time-domain performance compared to say the same original recording properly downsampled and dithered to 16/44.1?

Surely, this must be easy to do if what they claim is true, right? May I remind everyone that MQA has been out in some form since 2015 with easy accessibility of the data for playback and analysis since 2016. If there truly has been any benefit or merit to these claims, then why has the company not corrected all the doubters in all these years?

I think someone mentioned the AES above and how perhaps MQA's presence/publications there had given them some legitimacy. I would not make any assumptions that just because something was presented at the AES means that it's definitely "true". Science is littered with eventually disproven research and hypotheses. I remember Bruno Putzeys being rather perturbed by one of the AES MQA presentations. And Charlie Hansen was livid with MQA's claims (we had some E-mails around this back in the day). These are but a couple of examples of folks who knew better and that there was something obviously fishy from the beginning.

+ 1000

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 minutes ago, botrytis said:

AES is not a scientific publication. True scientific publications are 'Peer reviewed'. This means that experts in the field look at the data supplied and determine it is it REAL or not. AES is an advert publication. Meaning blow your own horn w/o anyone looking over your shoulder.

This can’t be stressed enough.

In fact, the AES as an organization is much more political than its fans would like to believe.