IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

Except it isn't, in fact the entire current business model of streaming is not guaranteed to stay, those that report financials clearly lose huge money every single quarter, including Spotify who has the largest paid subscriber base. While the labels love it, they are the only ones making money, the streaming services do not and the artists aren't exactly pleased either. That appears unsustainable in its current form.

Given MQA's only current delivery method is the money losing Tidal (unless you are counting the stillborn MQA-CD which GUTB might be), I'd say there is no proof at all that it's here to stay.

So the GUTB crystal ball sees download services such as HDtracks being forced to shut down due to MQA?

That same GUTB crystal ball indicates the labels would continue to approve hi-rez releases "in all formats"? Not if their greedy accountant/lawyer top execs have their way. What are the formats (plural) you refer to? If they killed the standard Redbook streams in favor of lossy MQA-CD, what makes you think they would continue releasing actual Redbook CD media at all?

There's no crystal balls? Have any audiophile labels stopped releasing hi-res and switched over to MQA? I don't know if a single one.

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

You just parroted the stance of the main stream audio press, including right here in this very thread several years ago. That is of course exactly what the labels and MQA want everyone to think, while they slowly quietly eliminate consumer choice.

Well...look. The labels are the ones who will decide if and how they release their catalogues for hi-res. If there was no MQA there's no reason to believe they'd start releasing lossless hi-res when that technology has been around and in very wide usage for many years before MQA came out. So, in reality, MQA provides more choices by enticing the labels to release their catalogues in a hi-res format. Let's say MQA is just snakeoil -- the big labels weren't going to release their catalogues in hi-res ANYWAY so what difference does it make if MQA comes along and ends up being no different than CD-quality?

Now here's a crystal ball prediction: if the streaming services die, the labels will obviously try to figure out how to market their catalogues to consumers. The audiophile labels won't care because their market is small but dedicated and big spenders. If they have these giant MQA catalogues which allows them to market them as hi-res with the bandwidth of regular CD audio, I don't imagine they'll just abandon them without trying to make money off them. They'll keep pushing it. Also, I very much doubt streaming is going anywhere -- maybe the players will consolidate and come up with an economical platform, but that won't kill MQA by itself.

Again, lossless hi-res compression has been around for ages and it's in very wide usage, way wider than MQA. The labels simply decided they didn't like it. So what's the solution?

Here is a nice example of how clueless the press is.

Michael Fremer, from Analog Planet-

"The TIDAL MQA streamed 96/24 version was like another recording altogether. The piano sounded more like a piano made of wood. The church space on the live performance was well-separated from the instrument and it was overall far more coherent and satisfying. I don’t understand those who are MQA resistant especially those who view it as a “plot” to control their recorded musical existence.  And, not surprising (to me at least), the extremely well mastered and flawlessly pressed vinyl record sounded very much like the MQA 96/24 stream.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/lang-lang—-classical-music-superstar-critics-love-hate-hate-delivers-his-goldberg-variations

16 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Here is a nice example of how clueless the press is.

Michael Fremer, from Analog Planet-

"The TIDAL MQA streamed 96/24 version was like another recording altogether. The piano sounded more like a piano made of wood. The church space on the live performance was well-separated from the instrument and it was overall far more coherent and satisfying. I don’t understand those who are MQA resistant especially those who view it as a “plot” to control their recorded musical existence.  And, not surprising (to me at least), the extremely well mastered and flawlessly pressed vinyl record sounded very much like the MQA 96/24 stream.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/lang-lang—-classical-music-superstar-critics-love-hate-hate-delivers-his-goldberg-variations

Fremer is playing safe, as if someone who’s detested digital for years suddenly will accept a proprietary consumer format, I will say it definitely confirms the marketing spin MQA has done on the industry, this juggernaut will take some derailing 

4 minutes ago, UkPhil said:

Fremer is playing safe, as if someone who’s detested digital for years suddenly will accept a proprietary consumer format, I will say it definitely confirms the marketing spin MQA has done on the industry, this juggernaut will take some derailing 

He's probably cool with it considering that his beloved vinyl is also a "proprietary consumer format".

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

20 minutes ago, UkPhil said:

He is more than playing it safe, Funny how each contributor there found there own angle to get on board

with MQA. He is latching on to "it sounds like the vinyl" nonsense.

Using five thousand words to differentiate this months review from last months review, which used five thousand words to differentiate itself from the previous months review and so on and so forth.

I think those publications that swooned for MQA are trying to regain the respect that they lost.  What person that truly understands MQA would put any faith in these publications? 

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, UkPhil said:

Fremer doesn't detest digital. He mostly doesn't like CD.  He's fairly often praised hi-res or DSD versions of recordings, even saying they can be superior to a vinyl version in some reviews.

Of course we know who he writes for, so apparently he's part of the groupthink there about MQA.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

There is nothing that MQA claims to do that cannot be done better by non proprietary means.

So MQA has a mission ? 😂

Anyway, why didn’t someone then create what MQA does a long time ago ?

How can it be Bob and his friends is so highly respected in the AES. And get his patents accepted. 
Are they all idiots or ?

Why do “we” here at AS know better ?

28 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Anyway, why didn’t someone then create what MQA does a long time ago ?

Upsampling with leaky MP filters? That is old news.

Are they all idiots or ?

No, but they are helping the record labels impose DRM.

Why do “we” here at AS know better ?

It's not just we here, various other credible sources including Archimago's blog tell the exact same story, as do various well regarded manufacturers including (but not limited to) Benchmark, Linn, and EXOGAL. Why would you (or anyone really) trust Bob Stuart's word more than theirs?

Those above mentioned companies (and many others that simply skipped MQA without giving it word one of credibility or official consideration) are far more successful over the decades than BS's own Meridian ever was. No comparison actually.

I think the real question is why do YOU wish to so blindly trust Bob Stuart as some sort of audio god that not only knows all, but knows it better than everyone else?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

56 minutes ago, mocenigo said:

You do not make 1.6Trillion in dongles.

What requires leadership? Two things from the top of my head.

1. Sacking a resident god like Ive that was (without Jobs's control) favouring form over function leading us to the failure of the butterfly keyboard and some MacBooks that needed two mobo and three keyboard replacements in 3 years. 

2. Walking back on keyboard design instead of claiming "you are typing on it wrong" as Jobs would have done.

3. Driving a transition from Intel to Apple Silicon (you know which architecture it is).

4. More openness: after the last announcements some engineers were allowed to talk about their contributions on social media – something completely unthinkable at the time of Steve Jobs.

and I could go on, but you prove there is one thing that is more annoying than apple fanboys: apple bashers.

Roberto

Dongles, chargers, and earpods? Oh yea you'll pad those numbers. That's his major contribution.

Those are the biggest earners he came up with

Mac, app store, iphone, ipad all the same.

We're going green so we will no longer include chargers, genius.

The pods alone my god