IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

It will be interesting to see how they handle Bob Dylan catalog. At the moment it’s not MQA.

Warner has nothing to do with Bob Dylan. The recent news surrounding his catalog being sold to Universal Music has exactly nothing to do with the recorded albums. Universal bought the rights to the publishing, i.e. the compositions themselves. So while you could now see a lot more Bob Dylan songs used in commercials, TV, and movies, that announcement has no bearing on the recorded albums or how those are released, that continues to be co-owned by Sony/Columbia Records and Bob Dylan. 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

With a legacy extending back over 200 years, Warner Music Group today is home to an unparalleled family of creative artists, songwriters, and companies that are moving culture across the globe.  At the core of WMG’s Recorded Music division are four of the most iconic companies in history: Atlantic, Elektra, Parlophone, and Warner Records.  They are joined by renowned labels such as Asylum, Big Beat, Canvasback, East West, Erato, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Reprise, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Spinnin’ Records, Warner Classics, and Warner Music Nashville.  Warner Chappell Music - which traces its origins back to the founding of Chappell & Company in 1811 - is one of the world's leading music publishers, with a catalog of more than one million copyrights spanning every musical genre, from the standards of the Great American Songbook to the biggest hits of the 21st century.

In case anyone wants to know.  I was unaware that Erato was part of Warner Music Group

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

22 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

I can start to understand this fellow when I realize that half the population is below average intelligence.

22 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Actually, half the population is below the median intelligence.  9_9

2 hours ago, Jud said:

If you believe there is such a singular quality as "intelligence." (Think about it: Would you rate all athletes on the basis of a single quality/number called "athleticism"? Who would have more of it - weightlifters, sprinters, basketball players, rock climbers...? Now think about whether you believe human mental capabilities are more various than our physical ones.)

Apologies for the OT, it's a long time pet peeve.

There is no other place on the internet that would stimulate my intellect as much as this thread. And it's probably not only me, judging by the number of views which astonishingly quickly approaches number of atoms in the universe. 

Anyway, back on topic - I understand that Kal's brilliant remark was mostly of statistic nature. As for the singularity of intelligence, as far as I know the median of different types of intelligences is more or less 9 (notice musical one!).

3584b27c99e7a958a945db553c5452de.jpg

9 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

You cannot praise BS as an engineering genius, give him the Prince Phillip award, and then say that he did not know what the outcome would be!  Bob Stuart knew exactly what he was doing.

You have a valid point. 
Now let’s go back to the basic. He (BS) claimed there was an “error” with the early ADC there was time smear and many other words used.  (Not sure if it can be compared to those Dolby issues, but to me it seems part of same problem). 

So this encoding process (where early ADC errors is compensated/corrected), is this also considered an issue among those of you that is very critical to the whole MQA thing. Is that specific part of MQA just BS as well, or does these guys with 35 years of experience etc. revealed something that is possible to agree up on ?

How they “solved” it, is as another issue. (We will come there soon, depending of your answers).

If Bob was right about those early ADC’s issues, how can it still be valid with todays equipment, and MQA encoding is still needed. To me that doesn’t make sense. 

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

I understand that Kal's brilliant remark was mostly of statistic nature.

If you know a little of the subject statistics, I hardly think the readers and contributes of this tread or site is considered as a population you can use to measure intelligence. However we may be great for something like measure our musical intelligence (however that’s done), or as a reference against others in certain questions the scientists like to explore.

The scientists may find “true believers” in many other areas they much more like to explore. 

On 12/8/2020 at 5:28 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's probably a question for the Roon team. 

Let’s say there is an error in the MQA decoding SW. (Maybe it was not written for 16 bit MQA). 

Maybe they totally screwed up, and now there’s a lot of DAC’s out there that can’t be corrected by a firmware upgrade. 

If you haven’t contacted MQA yet, maybe time to do. I hope they haven’t closed the door yet to you. 

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-core-decode-16-bit-mqa-to-what/131491/9

22 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Let’s say there is an error in the MQA decoding SW. (Maybe it was not written for 16 bit MQA). 

Maybe they totally screwed up, and now there’s a lot of DAC’s out there that can’t be corrected by a firmware upgrade. 

If you haven’t contacted MQA yet, maybe time to do. I hope they haven’t closed the door yet to you. 

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-core-decode-16-bit-mqa-to-what/131491/9

This must be of great concern to you, keeping you up these late hours.  What is it, like 3 AM there?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

You have a valid point. 
Now let’s go back to the basic. He (BS) claimed there was an “error” with the early ADC there was time smear and many other words used.  (Not sure if it can be compared to those Dolby issues, but to me it seems part of same problem). 

So this encoding process (where early ADC errors is compensated/corrected), is this also considered an issue among those of you that is very critical to the whole MQA thing. Is that specific part of MQA just BS as well, or does these guys with 35 years of experience etc. revealed something that is possible to agree up on ?

How they “solved” it, is as another issue. (We will come there soon, depending of your answers).

If Bob was right about those early ADC’s issues, how can it still be valid with todays equipment, and MQA encoding is still needed. To me that doesn’t make sense. 

Would you like to buy a bridge?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 minute ago, KeenObserver said:

MQA is a solution looking for a problem.  If there is no problem you create one.

The only thing MQA is a solution for is the creation of a money stream for MQA.

I do understand you’re totally against MQA. Your last 20 post or whatever tells us that. Maybe time for a brake ? 
Several here just hate MQA out of principal. Others have added very good statements and evidence why one probably shouldn’t endorse MQA. 

I’m trying to debate more on a technical base, not so much about feelings.

There is also trained ears out there that are against MQA that admit they like or prefer MQA over other formats. 
But maybe those ears was feed with those very special MQA tracks that sound good, and not albums gone though an automatic process. If it exist. (Will we ever know ?)

Maybe lack of MQA tracks in the early days was just because there was a few chosen once, that was meant to sound better.

I’m just asking some (simple) critical? questions. I don’t own a hight end MQA DAC. (I have a Cobalt and a Explorer2), but the first unfolding should be equal either SW (Roon or Audirvana) vs HW. 

6 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Would you like to buy a bridge?

Only that one in Brooklyn.....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)