IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

41 minutes ago, firedog said:

Another straw man argument. No one here cares if someone says they like the sound of MQA. 

We do care when "points of view" are reguritations of MQA marketing speak. We rightfully have no patience here for people who just come to repeat the MQA falsehoods. 

Honest question, as it relates to my civility thing: Do you think that Alex came to this thread "to repeat the MQA falsehoods?" I got the sense he had his own point of view (whether or not you feel it's misguided) and was expecting dialog, not a fusillade. Not every one who espouses something  less than total condemnation of MQA is Peter Veth!

11 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

Honest question, as it relates to my civility thing: Do you think that Alex came to this thread "to repeat the MQA falsehoods?" I got the sense he had his own point of view (whether or not you feel it's misguided) and was expecting dialog, not a fusillade. Not every one who espouses something  less than total condemnation of MQA is Peter Veth!

Honest question.  Do you think that Alex's IP address was ever seen here before?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

Mr. Quint.  It seems that you are bothered by perception of incivility on this thread.  Since you are not an advocate one way or the other, would it not make sense to simply ignore this thread?

I was trying to be as delicate and civil as possible.  If you find that it is still uncivil, please let me know.

Very civil. Nicely done, sir.

There wasn't much happening on this thread for quite a few months. I kept checking in occasionally - among other things, I'm friendly with the guy who started "Vaporware" and we text every few months, generally about non-audio things. There was a flare of activity when Stuart got the award from the Royal Academy of Engineering but not much else.  My point is that Alex, the newbie, came to the discussion as an innocent and didn't deserve to be savaged. He evidently agrees with your suggestion that those of his sort not come back.

13 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

My point is that Alex, the newbie, came to the discussion as an innocent and didn't deserve to be savaged. He evidently agrees with your suggestion that those of his sort not come back.

I just re-read my response to "Alex", and he was not savaged in any way, nor was it an uncivil response.

I said "I guess you missed the part about...", and "please don't gloss over..." I then asked him 3 questions at the end of my post, so a perfect chance at the dialog you said he was seeking.

Where is the "savaging" there ARQ?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

No, you were just plain bloody rude

In my post that precedes yours, I stated there was no "savaging" as ARQ had put it, and I stand by that.

As for your take that I was "plain bloody rude", you are of course entitled to that opinion, and I know it's not worth any time asking you to be more specific about which part of my post was rude, so I'll drop it except to say refer to my post above, I link to the original reply, and tell me where this plain bloody rudeness is Alex.

I believe you are jumping to the defense of ARQ, and or playing the civility card once again more than anything else. I will agree to disagree there as that's your opinion.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

23 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I believe you are jumping to the defense of ARQ, and or playing the civility card once again more than anything else. I will agree to disagree there as that's your opinion.

The way I read your reply to A..R.Quint  is a borderline personal attack on his integrity, and listening capabilities and is skirting very close to Personal Attacks which are not permitted in this forum, and I am not surprised that they get the tick of approval from Ralf11's buddy Kumakuma.

Perhaps we can now get back to finding fault with MQA, instead of other members ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

42 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I don't know.  It was just an honest question. And since when did I suggest that those of his sort not come back?

Well, you did (politely, I should add) ask why I don't just ignore this thread. That Vaporware is kind of an echo chamber for a group of people that feel pretty much exactly the same way. Not unreasonable to conclude that Alrx drew that conclusion and decided to depart. Again, that's assuming he didn't know what Vaporware was about. I don't like trolling from either side of the aisle...

45 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I just re-read my response to "Alex", and he was not savaged in any way, nor was it an uncivil response.

I said "I guess you missed the part about...", and "please don't gloss over..." I then asked him 3 questions at the end of my post, so a perfect chance at the dialog you said he was seeking.

Where is the "savaging" there ARQ?

He definitely sensed an angry tone, as I noted before - even if you know you were more exasperated than angry. No, you personally didn't savage the poster—but it  did seem he was being ganged up on. Now, as I just noted in a response to K.O. if the poster actually did know what Vaporware has been about for the last 4 years...well, he should have known what he was getting in for. Trolling is trolling.

7 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

He definitely sensed an angry tone, as I noted before - even if you know you were more exasperated than angry. No, you personally didn't savage the poster—but it  did seem he was being ganged up on. Now, as I just noted in a response to K.O. if the poster actually did know what Vaporware has been about for the last 4 years...well, he should have known what he was getting in for. Trolling is trolling.

If "I guess you missed the part about...", and " please don't gloss over..." followed by 3 questions posed in my response to newbie Alex constitutes an angry tone, then I guess I need finishing school or something.

Thank you for confirming that I didn't actually savage poor Alex, I don't think any other members here did either.

Please accept my apology if my responses to you constitute a savaging as SandyK has indicated, he's rushed to your defense and accused me of being in violation of site rules! Congrats then, another successful swoop in drive-by in order to deflect and change the narrative to civility or lack thereof. 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

12 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

So you are just projecting things onto me.  Like when you suggested that I was Brinkmanship and should be banned.

How civil.

I remember that, but I never understood at all where that accusation came from.

7 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Now that we've been diverted to this extent, do you think Warner is going to try and force the other streaming services to go MQA?

Yes, although unclear if they will just do it by quietly shifting to the one deliverable that being MQA, or if they will force feed it more overtly.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

5 hours ago, ARQuint said:

There's no rage, trust me, and nothing personal either, you made that up. This is about facts vs. fiction with regard to bogus claims about the supposed efficacy of MQA, and more importantly, the threat to consumers and indeed the entire music distribution system that it represents. Nice try again, but stick to the facts instead of trying to create a false representation of me or indeed this entire site. You've thus far made a pretty lame attempt.

No, Alex, you're correct—he's angry, all right. Any non-aligned party (a non-audiophile) could readily glean that from his responses. " Angry" has been the default mode of expression on this thread for 800-plus pages now. With dashes of contempt, dismissiveness, disrespect, paranoia, preening sarcasm, and wild accusations thrown in for good measure. Things had gone kind of quiet for months when a few of most vitriolic anti-MQA partisans began to cross lines that weren't acceptable to the owner of this site—they left, slamming the door behind them, before they could potentially be booted. So these guys who are still at it here are sure happy to have you show up.

The thing is that Chris Connaker feels as strongly as anyone else who suspects either the technology or MQA's business model as being fraudulent, yet he manages not to foam at the mouth. His criticisms are certainly pointed but he doesn't resort to hysteria or personal insult. As you've found out in short order, anyone with anything the least bit positive to say about MQA, or even an open-minded inquisitiveness, is either dumb, gullible, too inexperienced with such matters, or somehow in on the scam— and endures the wrath of whoever constitutes the mob at the moment. CC would rather there be a continuing discussion without undue ire; that would more effectively advance the cause. He has pointed out repeatedly that this is a hobby, for crying out loud, and there's room for differing points of view.

Andrew Quint

TAS

Sorry,

But, have you looked at the science or just spouting the line that comes from your masters? It has been proven SCIENTIFICALLY that MQA is a load of HOGWASH. The only people gleaning from MQA are MQA and the labels, the consumer loses. Why? It takes away OUR CHOICE. Choice is what makes a free market work. Shoving nonsense down our throats does not. This forum is full of more knowledgeable people than me and they say it is nonsense. Prove them wrong.

I mean when Chris did his talk at RMAF, he gave MQA a chance to rebut and actually have a conversation. Instead they were all about character assassination and drivel. If I would have given that talk, I would have asked those people to be thrown out on their ears but Chris is a gentleman, I am not.

If AND WHEN MQA DOES A DOUBLE BLIND STUDY, without their spiels before the track and just plays tracks as comparison - HD track versus HD track and volume matched, then I might almost try it but you know the old saying, ' Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me'.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

28 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The golden age of pure PCM is over. 

At least from the major players it would appear.

The attached link is from Linn, the parent company of Linn  Records

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects