IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

6 hours ago, Alex McBellott said:

Again: this is the marketing behind Mqa. And they are good at that. 

They are not good at marketing, it's a bunch of double talk BS, fully debunked now years ago, to which they have had exactly zero substantive rebuttal. Poorly making misleading and false claims does not equal "they are god at that".

Does it work on someone with a simpleton understanding, or who has been lied to in a confidence game supported by the audio press and equipment manufacturers? Perhaps.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

32 minutes ago, SoundAndMotion said:

Chris doesn't like MQA. I don't like MQA. But that does not mean this is an anti-MQA site. Some people here like it, and you can post on a variety of topics. Some people may disagree with some of your posts....

But as far as I can tell, of the 5 audio web sites I regularly read, and the 1 I occasionally read, the majority of posters on all of them don't like MQA. There's one site where I think the distribution is reversed, but I don't read it anymore (not because of MQA).

Exactly. I really tried to like MQA, but the facts turned me against it. This doesn’t make the site anti-MQA. People are free to like or love it around here. Makes no difference to me how people increase their enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 hours ago, Alex McBellott said:

Everybody can have a bad day and it seems this is yours. Just relax and MAYBE tomorrow can be a better one for you. 

I'm not having a bad day at all, rather nice temperatures for November here in NY, took a long walk in the park this morning. Last night was good too, a little Jack Daniel's and the Hendrix Live in Maui Blu-ray for Friday night entertainment. Not bad at all. I see right through your ploy, strike one.

this said... I really don't understand all your rage. Apart some personal reasons i'm not interested in. 

There's no rage, trust me, and nothing personal either, you made that up. This is about facts vs. fiction with regard to bogus claims about the supposed efficacy of MQA, and more importantly, the threat to consumers and indeed the entire music distribution system that it represents. Nice try again, but stick to the facts instead of trying to create a false representation of me or indeed this entire site. You've thus far made a pretty lame attempt.

I've read, in the recent years, many technical white papers about Mqa and, considering my job, I think I have enough experience to understand the business model and strategy behind this Mqa "standard". 

So what?

Goodie for you, I'm glad you are content with those "white papers" (did you mean Bob Stuart penned double talk?), but if your occupation truly allowed you to understand the threat to consumers and every stop in the music production and distribution chain being saddled with BS crypto-DRM, BS origami and magic filtering arrangements, BS removal of time domain "smearing", BS "correction" of all known ADC deficiencies, BS upsampling of a 44.1/48 kHz source, BS "authentication" of the artist's original intent, and last but not least BS "better than the original master" claims (better than the artist's original intent?) then you'd have to understand where we are coming from here.

We don't want to pay an MQA tax that allows the major record labels to provide us with inferior quality playback solely for the purpose of lining their pockets at our expense, and also at additional expense to artists who would be forced to use only certain production facilities and techniques to make music in an MQA compatible format, that too would be taxed.

8 hours ago, Alex McBellott said:

A lot of people hate Mqa. Listen to Qobuz. Listen to Amazon HD. Where's the issue?

We've explained the issue, repeatedly, but you are intentionally ignoring it. Strike two.

But I'm also aware that it sounds good. And this is what I'm interested in. 

Did you read the McGill study? Sound like you are parroting the audio press here, with a little brand and people name dropping mixed in. You know, Bluesound, and, uh... Ken Forsythe? I have news for you, KF is a nobody, the U.S. importer of Meridian, Lee Scoggins' Atlanta area buddy, and one of the lame ass attack mongers present at CC's RMAF2018 presentation.

The day one streaming platform decreases its quality I'll abandon it. 

Excellent, sounds like you've dropped TIDAL then. Congrats, you made the right move, lower quality at a higher price while simultaneously threatening the entire music distribution and creation process makes no sense for anyone other than MQA itself, and their partner/investors including Warner, Universal, and Sony.

Otherwise I'll continue to pay for the subscriptions as I'm doing now. Without asking for your permission...

I never suggested that you or anyone needed my permission for anything whatsoever, that's another one you just made up, a total fabrication. You just struck out.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

On 11/20/2020 at 12:06 PM, botrytis said:

3. There is not 3rd unfold - it has been proven to be just an upsampling ploy.

Where are the 1st and 2nd "unfolds"?  I don't think the any part of the MQA playback chain can legitimately called an "unfold".  IIRC, all that happens during MQA playback is (1) a blue light is triggered within the DAC; (2) depending on the DAC, a hi-res sample rate number appears on the screen even though that is a baldface lie; and (3) some generic MQA filter is applied -- which is not significantly different than a standard minimum phase filter.  Again, where exactly are the "unfolds"?

The only thing those magic 7 bits of MQA are good for is (1) lying to the consumer; and (2) DRM.  Give me back my 7 bits of music*, thank you.

*This is even more critical for MQA-CD, an unforgivable blasphemy of an audio file format.

mQa is dead!

13 hours ago, Alex McBellott said:

Just my personal opinion. 
i have subscriptions to Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon HD. I like to make direct comparisons. 
I regularly listen to music through Vinyl LPs and Sacd. 
so to say that the media is just a vehicle for music. 
Mqa, behind its technical background, has GREAT marketing. Bob Stewart is an entrepreneur and a manager and knows very well what "the industry" wants. He just took advantage of his technical and marketing skills developed at Meridian. 
This said I personally don't see , for the moment, a "big brother's watching you" situation. 
if you don't like Mqa stuff you can use Qobuz or Amazon HD. Quality is superb for both as it's hi rez Flac and Qobuz user interface is really good (Amazon HD has margins for improvements...). 
When I move from Qobuz to Tidal Mqa I don't feel I'm moving from paradise to hell: they are both great listening experiences.
And both my Tannoy Canterbury SE or Martin Logan Ethos speakers are quite revealing. 

Marketing or lying? MQA was supposed to be good and superior technology - it isn't - MP3's are better than MQA. MP3's do not have artifacts made by the technology embedded in the music.

Problem being the labels are just shoving out only MQA versions, without giving out non-MQA versions. They are doing a 'Bait and Switch' scam.

MQA is just that a scam on the public because BS wants to get his pound of flesh somehow.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

10 hours ago, Alex McBellott said:

Everybody can have a bad day and it seems this is yours. Just relax and MAYBE tomorrow can be a better one for you. 

this said... I really don't understand all your rage. Apart some personal reasons i'm not interested in. 

I've read, in the recent years, many technical white papers about Mqa and, considering my job, I think I have enough experience to understand the business model and strategy behind this Mqa "standard". 

So what?

A lot of people hate Mqa. Listen to Qobuz. Listen to Amazon HD. Where's the issue? Just don't start crusades to convince people of your one and only truth. 

Others are Mqa fan-boys. Listen to Tidal. Where's the issue? Just don't start crusades to convince people of your one and only truth. 

As written in my previous post I'm perfectly aware that there is a planned strategy and great marketing behind Mqa. Wow: what a news!

But I'm also aware that it sounds good. And this is what I'm interested in. 

I listen to music with Qobuz, Tidal and Amazon HD because I want to listen with my ears without being influenced by one fan-boy or the other. 
The day one streaming platform decreases its quality I'll abandon it. 
Otherwise I'll continue to pay for the subscriptions as I'm doing now. Without asking for your permission...

There is no bad day when it comes to MQA marketing - they have never changed their tune. They have never responded to the science that proved their system was utter BS. They are like Donald Trump saying he won the US Presidential Election. It is in point NOT A TRUE fact, but they believe it.

MQA keeps saying all this about 3 unfolds etc. There is no 3 unfolds - it is all pointed out in this thread and by Archimago and others. The filters that are used by MQA produce huge artifacts that are beyond the cutoff of the music in a track. They add blurring - they do not de-blur. All this has been proven as SCIENTIFIC FACT.

In the end, it is about MQA trying to control the end to end music industry to give us an inferior product that will cost us more.

All the recording industry cares about is Quarterly profit.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

16 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Where are the 1st and 2nd "unfolds"?  I don't think the any part of the MQA playback chain can legitimately called an "unfold".  IIRC, all that happens during MQA playback is (1) a blue light is triggered within the DAC; (2) depending on the DAC, a hi-res sample rate number appears on the screen even though that is a baldface lie; and (3) some generic MQA filter is applied -- which is not significantly different than a standard minimum phase filter.  Again, where exactly are the "unfolds"?

The only thing those magic 7 bits of MQA are good for is (1) lying to the consumer; and (2) DRM.  Give me back my 7 bits of music, thank you.

Using their marketing speak, is all.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

12 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

There's no rage, trust me, and nothing personal either, you made that up. This is about facts vs. fiction with regard to bogus claims about the supposed efficacy of MQA, and more importantly, the threat to consumers and indeed the entire music distribution system that it represents. Nice try again, but stick to the facts instead of trying to create a false representation of me or indeed this entire site. You've thus far made a pretty lame attempt.

No, Alex, you're correct—he's angry, all right. Any non-aligned party (a non-audiophile) could readily glean that from his responses. " Angry" has been the default mode of expression on this thread for 800-plus pages now. With dashes of contempt, dismissiveness, disrespect, paranoia, preening sarcasm, and wild accusations thrown in for good measure. Things had gone kind of quiet for months when a few of most vitriolic anti-MQA partisans began to cross lines that weren't acceptable to the owner of this site—they left, slamming the door behind them, before they could potentially be booted. So these guys who are still at it here are sure happy to have you show up.

The thing is that Chris Connaker feels as strongly as anyone else who suspects either the technology or MQA's business model as being fraudulent, yet he manages not to foam at the mouth. His criticisms are certainly pointed but he doesn't resort to hysteria or personal insult. As you've found out in short order, anyone with anything the least bit positive to say about MQA, or even an open-minded inquisitiveness, is either dumb, gullible, too inexperienced with such matters, or somehow in on the scam— and endures the wrath of whoever constitutes the mob at the moment. CC would rather there be a continuing discussion without undue ire; that would more effectively advance the cause. He has pointed out repeatedly that this is a hobby, for crying out loud, and there's room for differing points of view.

Andrew Quint

TAS

And, again, anyone that has anything that casts doubt on MQA is hysterical and angry.

Yet, what I see is people pointing out the facts about MQA.

I understand your position.  You have to answer to your masters at TAS.

But I don't think that people are going to lie down and let MQA have its way.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

11 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I understand your position.  You have to answer to your masters at TAS.

Yeah, he wouldn't get demoted from the second-to-last rung on the masthead to the bottom.

Or heaven forbid, lose his position reviewing obscure classical musical for that esteemed publication.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I would say to my friend Andy that just because you may be paranoid doesn’t mean that there isn’t someone out to get you. I would point out that the anti MQAers here have been right about a few things in their predictions. The fact that Warners is now removing their non MQA catalogue from Tidal being one. Frankly, I have more than enough quality music to last me a lifetime as I know you do as well. The push to MQA only will just increase the sharing of the non MQA stuff among those that care and cut into Warner’s and others bottom line. If they want to make MQA more readily available, I am fine with that too. Just don’t cut off the other stuff as well. I have no time for streaming anyway as the artist only gets screwed. I have personal experience with this. I would rather the artist get my money.

34 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

I would point out that the anti MQAers here have been right about a few things in their predictions. The fact that Warners is now removing their non MQA catalogue from Tidal being one.

Well said, these are the recent developments being completely ignored by both the new member here, and Andy too in his most recent attempt at a deflect.

35 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Frankly, I have more than enough quality music to last me a lifetime

So do I, and if this MQA crap is force fed to Qobuz, I'll drop that subscription in a heartbeat.

36 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

The push to MQA only will just increase the sharing of the non MQA stuff among those that care and cut into Warner’s and others bottom line

This is true, and as pointed out by Chris, another example of the labels being their own worst enemy at times. Driven by greed rather than sheer stupidity however.

38 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

I have no time for streaming anyway as the artist only gets screwed. I have personal experience with this. I would rather the artist get my money.

Also true, and in its current form, unsustainable.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Fair enough, Mikey Fresh. I don't know if you're actually angry, and I apologize for saying so. But the tone of your response to Alex's initial post on the thread certainly sounds angry—it certainly sounded angry to Alex who apparently thought he was joining a discussion where he could offer a (rather benignly) different point of view. If he had been engaged in a more welcoming fashion, perhaps he could see the validity of many of your points.

This may surprise you but I am no advocate, closeted or otherwise, for MQA. I've have the technology in my system once or twice and didn't find it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, to put it mildly. But neither was it detrimental to SQ and because of it's, in my view, uncertain commercial future I don't consider the technology to be remotely any sort of existential threat to the audiophile pursuit. And this may really surprise you. MQA is not a front-and-center issue for anyone at the magazine and there is no required "party line" regarding MQA. This is something I would know and you would not, just like whether you're mad about MQA or merely....energized.

I will cop to this. My issue on this thread has always been civility and I'm certainly not sorry for that. I don't "whine" to Chris; I just comment and let the chips fall where they may. Postings that I feel are unnecessarily aggressive and unkind were in remission for a good long while, but they flared again when this poor guy wandered in. I pointed that out. You're welcome.

Andy Quint

P.S. I really don't think the music I write about for TAS is "esoteric." It may be unfamiliar to you if classical music isn't of particular interest to you as a listener. But the function of our music section—all genres—has been to review both material familiar to all and the best stuff that won't be on your radar if you aren't a jazz/rock/classical aficionado. And, of course, to point out the best-sounding examples.

37 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

Fair enough, Mikey Fresh. I don't know if you're actually angry, and I apologize for saying so. But the tone of your response to Alex's initial post on the thread certainly sounds angry—it certainly sounded angry to Alex who apparently thought he was joining a discussion where he could offer a (rather benignly) different point of view. If he had been engaged in a more welcoming fashion, perhaps he could see the validity of many of your points.

This may surprise you but I am no advocate, closeted or otherwise, for MQA. I've have the technology in my system once or twice and didn't find it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, to put it mildly. But neither was it detrimental to SQ and because of it's, in my view, uncertain commercial future I don't consider the technology to be remotely any sort of existential threat to the audiophile pursuit. And this may really surprise you. MQA is not a front-and-center issue for anyone at the magazine and there is no required "party line" regarding MQA. This is something I would know and you would not, just like whether you're mad about MQA or merely....energized.

I will cop to this. My issue on this thread has always been civility and I'm certainly not sorry for that. I don't "whine" to Chris; I just comment and let the chips fall where they may. Postings that I feel are unnecessarily aggressive and unkind were in remission for a good long while, but they flared again when this poor guy wandered in. I pointed that out. You're welcome.

Andy Quint

P.S. I really don't think the music I write about for TAS is "esoteric." It may be unfamiliar to you if classical music isn't of particular interest to you as a listener. But the function of our music section—all genres—has been to review both material familiar to all and the best stuff that won't be on your radar if you aren't a jazz/rock/classical aficionado. And, of course, to point out the best-sounding examples.

Mr. Quint.  It seems that you are bothered by perception of incivility on this thread.  Since you are not an advocate one way or the other, would it not make sense to simply ignore this thread?

I was trying to be as delicate and civil as possible.  If you find that it is still uncivil, please let me know.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook