IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

MQA changes the original, and requires payment to hear what the company did to it

No Chris, you're the one who's confused, we're talking about the Mona Lisa, not MQA. There is more detail in the Mona Lisa, did you look at the link? Modern technology revealing more information, was that your point?

You asked need I say more, I just wanted to confirm what you were going on about?

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OMG, it just dawned on me. The 16/44.1 MQA version of Space Oddity is MQA CD. Oh boy. It's even worse than I thought. MQA CD is an abomination of engineering.

It's bad enough that the 16/44 versions have replaced the original masters, but, the huge swath of new 24/44 files by artists as diverse as Melvins, Mr. Bungle, Jane's Addiction, Madonna, & Notorious BIG will likely never be offered to consumers in their unmolested "hi-res" form, despite the fact that there were clearly a number of new masters prepared, which were subsequently folded into the MQA origami.

This is a dangerous development, not only for the anti-MQA crowd, but, just as importantly, also a blow to those of us who still purchase digital files for our personal collections.

1 minute ago, Tintinabulum said:

No Chris, you're the one who's confused, we're talking about the Mona Lisa, not MQA. There is more detail in the Mona Lisa, did you look at the link? Modern technology revealing more information, was that your point?

You asked need I say more, I just wanted to confirm what you were going on about?

Dude, you asked if you were confused. I said yes you are confused. Then you told me I was confused.

I can't communicate with you. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Many artists painted over previous paintings that they were unhappy with.  Artists also continually evolved their paintings til they got what they wanted.  What Tin and MQA want to do is scrape off the Mona Lisa and give you what is underneath.

And force you to pay for it.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

What they want to do is take the original Mona Lisa off the wall and replace it with an infrared scan that shows all the covered up mistakes and changes underneath in fake color and tell you that, trust us, you will like it better than the original.then, every few years, they will bring the original out, place it in a special room and charge you extra to see it.

51 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

@daverich4 You mentioned earlier that you had some help from a thread over on the Roon forum.

I'm now actively following Chris' thread there, but, I'm having a good deal of trouble finding another where this issue, in particular, is being discussed.

Would you please be so kind as to link me to the relevant topic?  Thank you.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/if-i-dont-like-or-want-mqa-how-should-i-set-the-streaming-quality/127924/18

It seems that in the world of MQA there are two opposing sides.  The true believers that see world domination and gold.

And the non believers, who see damaged music and forced taxes.  In the Muslim world non believers would be considered Kaffir.

It seems that the prevalent attitude at MQA is to consider music consumers to be Kaffir that need to told what to do.

But the non believers want to buy music of their choice.

It is a turning point.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

9 minutes ago, hmartin said:

Out of ~800 tidal albums in my library ~150 had been converted to Mqa, was a real pain deleting them with Roon user interface. So stupid!

Oh wow. 

2 minutes ago, UkPhil said:

13 bit lossless 🙄

Yes. It's worse than CD. Paying more for less is nobody's definition of an enjoyable hobby. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

People are just going to have to avoid Tidal and anything Warner.

Exactly, and when Warner's albums have little stream revenue to show for all of this BS, this little experiment will have failed miserably, but that does require dropping the TIDAL subscription entirely.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

It just seems incredible that audiophiles have spent years refining playback only to reach a point where studios like Warner want to supply us with crippled music.  And they have the audacity to tell us take it or leave it.

I for one, will never buy another Warner product.

I will continue to seek out non MQA music.  If that becomes impossible, I'll be happy with the collection I have.

I am boycotting Warner.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow, it's MP3 or MQA. Ouch. Thanks to all who assisted in removing our freedom of choice. 

Lossy formats are more ..profitable ;)

I must say that I watch this thread (every now and then) from a comfortable position of a guy who relies on his own (mostly hi res) music collection. So I could actually just say - discuss on guys..

Eating Popcorn GIFs | Tenor

But I must say - this really gets as ugly as it gets..

And at the same time more and more people tell me 'I stream master quality' or can't wait for this and this on MQA CD..

So maybe sue them.? B|  After all damaging Mona Lisas while not giving consumers a choice should be punishable.. :) 

3 minutes ago, Mayfair said:

Yep, kind of like paying for a dozen eggs at the grocery store and discovering that there are only 11 in the box.

More like only 10.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

It seems that in the world of MQA there are two opposing sides.  The true believers that see world domination and gold.

And the non believers, who see damaged music and forced taxes.  In the Muslim world non believers would be considered Kaffir.

It seems that the prevalent attitude at MQA is to consider music consumers to be Kaffir that need to told what to do.

But the non believers want to buy music of their choice.

It is a turning point.

Well -- if it was just about ME -- go ahead, don't change anything except convert to MQA.   I can effectively recover the lost bits (perceived as noise by the SW), and recreate the material as BETTER than fully decoded MQA.   The end result in decoding MQA is still-compressed-material....