IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 minute ago, firedog said:

I respectfully suggest that Chris take this one up. He will be able to write it up cogently in a jiffy, and I'd guess coming from him it will have a bit more impact. The rest of us don't run highly visible audiophile websites...

It’s already been discussed over there. Solution is a simple change in Roon settings. 

35 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm unable to stream Bowie's Space Oddity from Tidal through Roon in any other than MQA. All versions from 16/44.1 through the fake 24/192 are all MQA. I have the highest level set to HiFI, not MQA in the Roon settings for Tidal as well. It works this way whether I stream to an MQA enabled device or not. 

Through the Tidal app on macOS I can only see the MQA version, but when I click play Tidal says it's playing the HiFi version. I have Tidal set to play HiFi as the highest level, not MQA. 

Tidal respects this setting. Roon apparently doesn't, but I'll gladly accept configuration instructions to make Roon play non-MQA. 

The only difference between these two images is changing Roon settings from Masters to Hifi under Settings/Services/Tidal. 

CFD3A99A-ED26-4158-B3AB-CD725939D705.png

CEC7616F-40C2-4A05-9B84-2A6381BCE8F3.png

2 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

The only difference between these two images is changing Roon settings from Masters to Hifi under Settings/Services/Tidal. 

I respect that this is working for you, but, I'd prefer that the original masters be exposed within Roon, since these unmolested versions are clearly still readily available on Tidal's servers.

That's not something which gets done for everyone on my end.

27 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Just another reason for me to not stream and to not use Roon. Call me a Luddite. I am not on social media either.

I'd say it's a reason not to use Tidal....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thank you for posting your response, Chris.  This is bonkers.

Deciding whether or not to use Tidal may be an irrelevant choice, frankly.

As I said earlier, there's absolutely nothing to prevent WMG from passing these same files to the folks at Qobuz, or anywhere else.

If WMG wants to use just one file to provide streamers with content, welp, that's it, then.

26 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Tidal app says it's the MQA version of Space Oddity, I've selected HiFi in the settings, Tidal app says HiFi when playing, but it's sending me MQA as evidenced on the DAC I'm using that now says MQA. 

Wow, it's MP3 or MQA. Ouch. Thanks to all who assisted in removing our freedom of choice. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 10.26.04 AM.png

This is shocking news Chris, just as people thought years ago is now happening 🙄

@daverich4 You mentioned earlier that you had some help from a thread over on the Roon forum.

I'm now actively following Chris' thread there, but, I'm having a good deal of trouble finding another where this issue, in particular, is being discussed.

Would you please be so kind as to link me to the relevant topic?  Thank you.

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Need I go further

Are you referring to the recent forensic work which has revealed more details of the Mona Lisa?

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/mona-lisa-hidden-drawing-photos-1911271

Is this what you mean, that modern technology's revealed more information about the painting the allows us to appreciate it more? Or am I getting confused? Yes please, go further.

1 minute ago, Tintinabulum said:

Are you referring to the recent forensic work which has revealed more details of the Mona Lisa?

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/mona-lisa-hidden-drawing-photos-1911271

Is this what you mean, that modern technology's revealed more information about the painting the allows us to appreciate it more? Or am I getting confused? Yes please, go further.

Yes, you're confused. 

MQA changes the original, and requires payment to hear what the company did to it.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png