IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

8 minutes ago, FredericV said:

Remember that Bose does not provide specs for it's consumer products?

Bob now does the same:

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6517

image.png.66e3c9318fd8f008b2bc4659baf5b998.png
Off course, providing specifications would mean that customers would discover:

- 17/88.2 or 17/96 actual max resolution
- with upsampling to fake indication value on DAC, so customers believe it's 24/whatever like 24/192 or 24/352.8
- frequency domain is horrible
- not the master, not the quality, not authentic

I know you've posted that graph many times before but can you kindly remind me what track (and album it's from) that is?

On 5/13/2019 at 4:35 PM, Em2016 said:

How does "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) look versus "MQA stereo original resolution" (first MQA unfold only).... ?

And even "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) vs DXD?

@FredericV - the reason I ask is because at my end, even "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) versus DXD doesn't like great on my end... and there's no MQA even involved...

On the other hand, "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) look versus "MQA stereo original resolution" (first MQA unfold only) looks very similar...

Hoping you can check and confirm...

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Siltech817 said:

I doubt it is a laughing matter to them.

I was referring to this particular thread (MQA is Vaporware) very specifically...

The links I shared above would be much much less a laughing matter for MQA Ltd...

2 hours ago, Currawong said:

6. 96k limit. As per the image from a couple of pages back showing totally different HF content?

This image?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/?do=findComment&comment=957196

I asked @FredericV some questions about this but never got a response...

How does "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) look versus "MQA stereo original resolution" (first MQA unfold only).... ?

And even "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) vs DXD?

The reason I asked is because at my end, even "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) versus DXD doesn't like great on my end... and there's no MQA even involved...

On the other hand, "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) look versus "MQA stereo original resolution" (first MQA unfold only) looks very similar...

Hoping he could check and confirm...

7 minutes ago, mansr said:

A 24/96 downsampled version obviously discards any content above 48 kHz that may be present in a higher-rate original. Below 48 kHz (minus a small transition band) it will match exactly if the downsampling is done properly. The MQA "first unfold" output has a 96 kHz sample rate, so the frequency content there is also limited to 48 kHz. There has to be some loss compared to the non-MQA version, but for most music it is probably insignificant. When MQA is "rendered," content above 48 kHz is simply invented with no relation to what was in the original file. That's where the huge discrepancy comes from.

Noted. But how does the "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) look on the same graph? Same track

Especially compared to the DXD file of that track...

8 minutes ago, mansr said:

unless they botched the downsampling.

That's what I was asking someone to actually check... I mentioned, I checked at my end and it looks like it was botched...

I could have botched something at my end though - although MQA 1st unfold vs proper 24/96 look pretty similar (as expected...) at my end.

8 minutes ago, mansr said:

The spectrum of the 96 kHz file obviously ends at 48 kHz. Just below, from about 44 kHz, it deviates a little due to the roll-off of the downsampling filter. Otherwise it's a very close match. There is nothing abnormal here.

Cheers. As I feared, something botched at my end.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 9:32 AM, Rt66indierock said:

Come to my office and lay your proof on my conference table in the Valley of the Sun. Nobody has.

If the rumoured Amazon lossless (CD quality plus Hi-Res) streaming option launches in Q4 or in 2020, will you personally refund all artists that visit your conference table? Even if they fail to convince you before Q4?

Refund all flight, accomodation, cab/uber, dining, ‘entertainment’ expenses?

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

Spotify still bleeds money every quarter.

Previous quarter was profitable...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/6/18214331/spotify-earnings-financial-announcement-profits-music-streaming-podcast

That was their first ever and yes most recent quarter was another loss but as paid subscriber numbers continue to climb and their year on year losses get smaller, it's not rocket surgery to guess where they're heading...

33 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Point taken, but one quarter does not a company make.

Noted and this is why I acknowledged that this was their only quarter of profit and not even their most recent (as you pointed) but I also emphasised their year on year losses continue to reduce, as their paid subscriber numbers continue to climb... 

Interesting article in many ways. Tragic story. But something potentially related to this thread:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/magazine/universal-fire-master-recordings.html

Today Universal Music Group is a Goliath, by far the world’s biggest record company, with soaring revenues bolstered by a boom in streaming music and a market share nearly double that of its closest competitor, Sony Music Entertainment. Last year, Vivendi announced a plan to sell up to 50 percent of UMG. The sale is the talk of the music business; rumored potential buyers include Apple, Amazon and the Chinese conglomerate Alibaba. The price tag is expected to be hefty: In January, Deutsche Bank raised its valuation of UMG to more than $33 billion.

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Whoops, missed this. But, as above, the part maybe interesting (I thought) to this thread:

Today Universal Music Group is a Goliath, by far the world’s biggest record company, with soaring revenues bolstered by a boom in streaming music and a market share nearly double that of its closest competitor, Sony Music Entertainment. Last year, Vivendi announced a plan to sell up to 50 percent of UMG. The sale is the talk of the music business; rumored potential buyers include Apple, Amazon and the Chinese conglomerate Alibaba. The price tag is expected to be hefty: In January, Deutsche Bank raised its valuation of UMG to more than $33 billion.

• 1 month later...

This is a couple weeks old already and I know already came up in this thread.

But does anyone think this deal will be lucrative for MQA Ltd?

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/china-gets-mqa-studio-quality-audio-streaming-alibabas-xiami-music

"China's revitalized recorded revenue market currently ranks seventh in revenue internationally, due in part to the efforts of streaming services like Xiami. The country also ranks fourth in terms of music streaming income, behind only the U.S., the U.K. and Germany."

22 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - Here’s something for your reading pleasure this morning. There’s a link in this Financial Times article about MQA, to this thread!

The article may not be viewable in all countries. Some people are saying it behind a pay wall. It’s was available for me here in the US without paying.

I can't access the full article either but saw this much:

"Mr Stuart's MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) format has just been adopted by Alibaba's Xiami music-streaming service, with its 14m subscribers in China."