IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

7 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

" Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war".

A quote from Shakespeare.

Before battle the Roman Legions would release the war dogs to attack their enemy.

This recent activity of writers passive-aggressively attacking the "civility" of those who expose the truth about MQA has me concerned that a new round of BS is starting.

I will be glad when MQA is finally dead and no longer poses a threat to the music consumer.

Maybe you are on to something..perhaps MQA is planning to start debarring cell phone conversations, or maybe there will be MQA enabled hearing aids, so that those afflicted with hearing loss can hear with no timing errors, or maybe MQA underwear,

so that after a rough nite and one too many tacos, you can play psycho acoustically corrected Butt Trumpet.🤗

17 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

People should keep in mind that open standards like FLAC will always be out there.

MQA could go the way of HDCD and simply cease to exist.  Does anyone produce HDCD decoders anymore?

Not sure, but what is weird, unless I am mistaken, the Grateful Dead continue to release HDCDs for their excellent live archival sets.

6 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

novel digital sampling techniques for natural signals developed for cutting-edge medical imaging and astronomy.

This part may be true - the maths involved may be found in medical imaging and astronomy. But Amazon Music HD is now serving the studio masters (up to 192kHz), so there's obviously no need for MQA.

So Bob should have used that novel maths to do something like what Dirac is doing... something with potentially really meaningful impact on SQ at the ears.

Dirac's now used with studio speakers, home speakers, headphones and automotive.

17 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

MQA could go the way of HDCD and simply cease to exist.  Does anyone produce HDCD decoders anymore?

As @The Computer Audiophile mentions above the Ayre QB-9 decodes HDCD.  Also many CD and universal players decode HDCD. My 6 year old Yamaha SACD / Blu-ray universal player decodes HDCD.

I don't believe there are any new HDCD encoders, so the Pacific Microsonics HDCD ADC's may be the only ones in use and they are no longer made.

17 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Not sure, but what is weird, unless I am mistaken, the Grateful Dead continue to release HDCDs for their excellent live archival sets.

Why is it weird? Reference Recordings still releases all their recordings in HDCD encoded CDs as well as in high resolution formats, not everyone has high resolution playback. Plus there are lots of CD and universal players with HDCD decoders. There are also a small number of new HDCD releases from small audiophile labels as well as scattered rock releases.

Sorry, all of this is off topic as it has nothing to do with MQA. Just answered some statements to clear the record that HDCD does still exist and new HDCDs are still being released even though it is a small amount.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ayre’s new QB-9 Twenty decodes HDCD

It just means they use a Pacific Microsonics Model 1 or Model 2 ADC. 

Actually, and this will be interesting to serious Dead Heads, most Dead live tapes were transferred to digital via the Plangent Process, and they use proprietary encoding. 

The GD release a good portion of their live archival releases in 24/192, and also HDCD. Maybe you know, or someone else might, is there a way to encode HDCD via software from 24 bit files? The only other way they can create HDCDs from the Plangent transfers, would be to convert them to analog then back to digital with the Model 1/2 in my estimation. 

Tons of detail, here, not for the casual fan:

David Lemieux on the Grateful Dead’s Precision, “Playing,” and ‘Pacific Northwest’

https://jambands.com/features/2018/10/28/david-lemieux-on-the-grateful-deads-precision-playing-and-pacific-northwest/

On 5/9/2020 at 6:53 PM, ARQuint said:

Lazy? Enthusiasts like you and me want to hear about new products and technologies at the earliest possible point in their development or commercial introduction—that's why it's "News." Reporting from trade shows and passing along announcements from manufacturers  are two ways audio magazines accomplish this, always underscoring that these are narratives controlled by those presenting them. ("The following is a press release issued by…") They are short and sweet and obviously don't substitute for a full consideration, that is, a review.

I didn't say that people don't want to hear about new products, I said that just publishing press releases was lazy. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:20 AM, Currawong said:

I didn't say that people don't want to hear about new products, I said that just publishing press releases was lazy. 

Why ?

It is often many months before the products become available for review and measurements by more than a few selected sources.

This happens with most major product releases and developments, even including the release of the CD medium itself !!!

The same happened with the BluSpec format ,SHM etc. which were way more popular with Japanese enthusiasts.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, UkPhil said:

More push in the media from the CEO of MQA covering their development and marketing of MQA Video 

http://technologyinsidergroup.com/business/mike-jbara-mqa/

Part 2 

http://technologyinsidergroup.com/business/mike-jbara-mqa-2/

No doubt a paid advertorial, take a look at who Technology Insider Group is:

Marketing Services

Custom Publishing

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group