IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

17 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

So the narrative that he "blows smoke" or tells tall tales is really Fake News. Thinly veiled, passive aggressive attacks on his credibility?

Noted but there were specific examples that we discussed, in this thread. I questioned him about specific examples and just got vagueness in return from him. He writes in riddles.

I remember one discussion was about PS Audio supporting MQA (DirectStream DAC's ethernet card) and his comments about that. I think you were part of that discussion. And at the time I said something about him blowing smoke, about his comments.

It's ok, we moved on from it after that. Life moved on. But I agree with Chris.

That's a specific example (not vague). The problem is even though it's here in this thread, I can't be bothered finding it just yet. Maybe later.

3 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

That is a non answer. I simply asked for examples where you have definitive proof he "makes stuff up"....

Or, are YOU making stuff up?

And this is exactly what Chris is saying.  Where's the definitive proof? It goes both ways.  I too would like to see MQA disappear.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

2 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Please refresh my memory on what I've made up. Most of the posts I've are about files converted and financial information.  

Check your PM's and search this very thread for the PS Audio discussion...  where I said you write in riddles.

We both moved on from it then. So why bring up the exact same discussion that is already here in this thread? 

7 hours ago, UkPhil said:

Are these “boutique” audiophile items still adding MQA because of consumer pressure, the reviewer sort of brushed passed the format in this review https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/03/brinkmann-audio-nyquist-mk-ii-streaming.html?m=1

Reasonable review considering what he had to work with. This DAC measured horribly on John Atkinson's test bench. 

The price is a joke. Clearly NO customer asked for MQA because the "Mach 1" version of this brick came to market with MQA, and this company had no other digital products.

Then there is this..the author claims the manual says that DSD is limited to single rate via Ethernet..for 20 grand???

And no, it has nothing to do with the Ethernet bandwidth. Expensive paper weight. 

Contrast this with the subjective goop found in the Streophile review of the first version. 

5 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Clearly NO customer asked for MQA because the "Mach 1" version of this brick came to market with MQA, and this company had no other digital products.

Not sure which logic class teaches that method of reasoning. 

Clearly when bringing a product to market, manufacturers consult their dealers and distributors for feedback. Intern, these guys provide feedback based on market demand, not based on a technological assessment of available options. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

46 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not sure which logic class teaches that method of reasoning. 

Clearly when bringing a product to market, manufacturers consult their dealers and distributors for feedback. Intern, these guys provide feedback based on market demand, not based on a technological assessment of available options. 

In fact you are wrong. This interview details the fact he designer decided to include MQA of his own choice.

In fact, this is a very illuminating read for all on this thread. It shows how clueless many so called authorities and luminaries are. All credit to the interviewer. We get a behind the curtain look...

http://highfidelity.pl/@main-870&lang=en

12 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

I doubt it. Even if they do violate the NDA when MQA shits the bed, who will enforce it? With what money?

Can the rights be sold off?  There are patent rights that are used for frivolous lawsuits.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

Just now, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

That would be a question for an intellectual property lawyer. But of what value would the rights to an NDA pertaining to a defunct company and dead technology be? 

Again, lawyers have used questionable patent rights to file frivolous lawsuits.  Throw crap against the wall and see what sticks. On many occasions small settlements are made to make the nuisance go away.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

39 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

In fact you are wrong. This interview details the fact he designer decided to include MQA of his own choice.

In fact, this is a very illuminating read for all on this thread. It shows how clueless many so called authorities and luminaries are. All credit to the interviewer. We get a behind the curtain look...

http://highfidelity.pl/@main-870&lang=en

The only part I found interesting was this:

"I asked MQA guys why they sell license for using the format and they told me they had to because they were buying licenses from record labels they were working with."

Does this mean MQA Ltd doesn't receive any income from the labels?

Their only income is from hardware and software (1st unfold) licenses? 

1 minute ago, asdf1000 said:

The only part I found interesting was this:

"I asked MQA guys why they sell license for using the format and they told me they had to because they were buying licenses from record labels they were working with."

Does this mean MQA Ltd doesn't receive any income from the labels?

Their only income is from hardware and software (1st unfold) licenses? 

Good catch. It is easy to see why the labels got involved with MQA. There was NO COST to them, in fact, they were paid. We also know they were given shares in MQA for "services rendered". 

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The EMM DACs are "infected" as you say, but I know they are't crippling my music either. 

That is comforting.

Hopefully everyone that owns  MQA enabled equipment can feel as comfortable.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Again, I attended far different logic classes than you did in college. Your comments make zero sense to me. 

If you believe that you read what you said and that this means zero feedback from dealers, distributors and customers was involved, then I can no longer be involved in a discussion with you. We speak different languages. 

I dislike MQA as much as the next guy but I'd put you well past the religious right wing on the continuum, if there was one for MQA. Perhaps that's a compliment to you, given your stance.

When MQA gets flushed down the toilet, you can buy me a Pastrami sandwich and Knish in appreciation. 😃