IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

11 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Andy, if they were doing just fine the following would have been addressed. The website would be updated so the store button would say where to buy since they haven't had a store since 2018. 2L used to be a site for people who liked Norwegian music to go. Without the store it is work to find this music and this customer base should have cared for better. That 2L hasn't done these two things causes me to wonder about other things like finances. 

The New York Times is doing just fine if you think a decline in revenue from 2005 to 2019 of over 40% is good. I don't. They are still struggling with their digital revenue model. 

Not everything is a nail to your hammer. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Mr Fresh, have we not been through this cycle 15 times before with AQ?

The same rinse and repeat nonsense about civility blah blah blah.

Yes we most certainly have been, AR is seemingly under the erroneous impression that everyone here has a very short memory.

I believe your response here is the most devastating I have seen and should put an end to this.

It probably won't given the history/pattern, however maybe the next step is to just put AR on the ignored members list. I'd love it if that happened en masse, he is not a voice of authority, nor is he the influencer that both he himself and the MQA cadre fancies him to be.

Mr, Quint talks about alternate facts but continues to repeat the absurd canard that MQA would have "engaged" with folks if there was toast and tea and mints on the table. Pure fiction.

That is a fantasy, and one he is hoping CC among others buys into, hence the civility crusade.

Mr. Quint has not once, not even ONE time answered for his magazine and his colleagues coverage of MQA.

No he hasn't, but he sticks to the basic playbook with remarkable predictability.

P.S. there were folks who did not "like" CD when it first arrived but it's benefits were clear, and the market agreed, it had a pretty good 30 year run.

Even if I and other folks did not "like" MQA and it clearly solved technical issues and had undisputed benefits, then it would not matter what detractors think....and this thread would not even exist. But it does.

Well said, that's both an interesting analogy, and a sign of things not to come for MQA... no traction yet with anything but tiny Tidal does not bode well at all, market acceptance has not happened despite the (free?) trade press blitz they have been the recipient of.

I guess only a very small fraction of the magazine readers (and as well the hi-fi gear manufacturers) were effectively snookered.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Slightly off the MQA topic I know, but perhaps relevant to the greater "hi-res" market situation.  Does anyone know what is behind this?

Maybe nothing more than an efficiency related consolidation to HDtracks.com?

https://www.hiresaudio.online/hdtracks-co-uk-to-close-on-31st-march/

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

17 minutes ago, Confused said:

Slightly off the MQA topic I know, but perhaps relevant to the greater "hi-res" market situation.  Does anyone know what is behind this?

Maybe nothing more than an efficiency related consolidation to HDtracks.com?

https://www.hiresaudio.online/hdtracks-co-uk-to-close-on-31st-march/

No sales = no site. I think it is as simple as that.

CD and hires quality streaming has surely reduced the amount of album downloads for $10-$30 people are willing to buy. It has for me, and since becoming a Qobuz Sublime+ member, I rarely buy any download other than from Qobuz. I used to be a big HDT customer, but is rarely worth it for me to buy from them anymore. Some of the specialized sites sometimes have prices competitive with the Qobuz discount or an item not at Qobuz, but not often. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, firedog said:

CD and hires quality streaming has surely reduced the amount of album downloads for $10-$30 people are willing to buy. It has for me, and since becoming a Qobuz Sublime+ member, I rarely buy any download other than from Qobuz. I used to be a big HDT customer, but is rarely worth it for me to buy from them anymore. Some of the specialized sites sometimes have prices competitive with the Qobuz discount or an item not at Qobuz, but not often. 

It's the same for me. If at all, I bought some productions from Chesky Records or DSD 128 from 2xHD there. The HDT store in Germany was closed at the end of 2019. But at the same time HDT has lifted its strict geo blocking. I haven't tried it yet, but it should now be possible for Europeans and Brits to buy the albums in the US store for which HDT also has the distribution rights in other countries.

9 minutes ago, UkPhil said:

It is still running as of this morning 

HD Tracks.png

Yes, the shutdown was planned for the end of March, but now postponed until the end of April.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

3 hours ago, Nikhil said:

MQA is actively recruiting on Facebook these days.  Saw this on the TIDAL High Fidelity Music Streaming group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tidalmusic/permalink/887531075030390/

2002835578_PeterVeth-TIDALMQAShilling.jpg.9f49094e11f0388c1a3fa223ea073eed.jpg

Looking at Peter Veth's list of MQA albums on Tital, I see it's only about 2% of the size of Warner Music Group's catalog, If MQA were the next best thing (since sliced bread), shouldn't that number be bigger?

mQa is dead!

On 4/5/2020 at 6:48 AM, firedog said:

No sales = no site. I think it is as simple as that.

Just IMO -- NOT intending on shilling my project, but if the distributors -- esp HDtracks -- would actually provide much higher quality than otherwise available, not just more bits, then they might really expand their market and create loyalty.   As it is, a slightly (very slightly) clearer version of a 'CD with more bits', with some of the noise/splats/errant signals above 20kHz -- should be filtered out anyway, is not a compelling purchase.

If there is something that actually makes a product SUPERIOR and not just better in a very 'esoteric' way, then they just might make a real place for themselves in the market.

John