Rt66indierock

MQA is Vaporware

Rate this topic

27 minutes ago, Jud said:

The two reasons why I, who enjoy reading subjective reviews, stopped reading the magazines:

1. The primary reason is that there were never any negative subjective reviews, and I simply got tired of having to finely parse sentences and phrases to try to get some meaning from them. I hardly if ever recall reading subjective impressions like "I was expecting to like this more than I did," or "I think something else that costs less does the same thing better." There was simply an endless parade of favorable remarks, and I did not find it at all useful in distinguishing between products in order to make purchasing decisions.

2. This got a Product of the Year Award from TAS in 2017: https://www.synergisticresearch.com/acoustics/passive/hft/

There's objective, subjective, and there's "WTF?," and I put the HFTs in the latter category. Have there been any subjective reviews in TAS to this day that said "I don't hear a bit of difference, and can anyone give me a reasonable explanation as to how these could possibly work?" Because that was my entirely subjective reaction when a dealer friend installed them in the listening room at his store. Where is the representation in the magazines' content of subjectivists who aren't uncritically credulous of all manufacturer claims?

And now some unsolicited and probably bad business advice:

When TAS started, it was a revelation. HP was an acid-tongued joy. Why not try some new sections in the magazine that represent more of the full range of what subjectivists actually experience, like "My Least Favorite Audio Equipment," or "How Can This Even Work?" Because subjectivist audiophiles enjoy reading some subjective *opinions* from time to time.

I had to do a bit of digging to find out that High Frequency Transducer was the meaning of HFT, that doesn't show up anywhere expect in the manual and breaks a lot of established technical writing rules on how to introduce an acronym.

My first reaction was that I'm sure out of touch for never having heard of these before.  

My second reaction was that I'm not missing much.

2 hours ago, tmtomh said:

This place, like any forum, allows members not only to comment on content, but also to create it themselves by starting threads.

And we have the best people. 😋

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

23 minutes ago, Archimago said:

This isn't like we're buying and selling "holy water" where it's understood that there is a "spiritual" element to the product.

Dr. Magus:  You have made this kind of analogy in a number of ways on a number of occasions, here and elsewhere. Fine. I wonder, in relationship to this context, if it is telling that you seem to be very fond of drawing, with very clean lines, a  perspective that might be, with at least some relative adequacy, drawn with a larger grey area ?

31 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Archimago
  Limited circulation HiFi publications such as T.A.S. are unlikely to remain financially viable if they do everything that you and some others would like to see them do.
Perhaps you should offer to do the measurement side for them, assuming that they could afford to pay for your services,  while still remaining financially viable ? ¬¬

Very true @sandyk.

Maybe it's not possible for them to embrace both objective and subjective considerations. If opening a magazine to more objective analysis and critical thinking with the possibility that many devices might be deemed not up to par and this would lead to financial unviability (presumably because of loss of advertising revenue?), what does this tell us about the "high end"?

Archimago's Musings... A "more objective" audiophile blog.

37 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Dr. Magus:  You have made this kind of analogy in a number of ways on a number of occasions, here and elsewhere. Fine. I wonder, in relationship to this context, if it is telling that you seem to be very fond of drawing, with very clean lines, a  perspective that might be, with at least some relative adequacy, drawn with a larger grey area ?

Some things are clean. Others not so clean. But for the sake of the comment and in this particular circumstance, I see no need for concern about this "line".

If you want to make a case for "holy water" in audiophilia, I'm happy to consider arguments...

Archimago's Musings... A "more objective" audiophile blog.

13 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Very true @sandyk.

Maybe it's not possible for them to embrace both objective and subjective considerations. If opening a magazine to more objective analysis and critical thinking with the possibility that many devices might be deemed not up to par and this would lead to financial unviability (presumably because of loss of advertising revenue?), what does this tell us about the "high end"?

Some magazines such as Hi Fi Critic are able to exist without advertising support, but subscribers pay dearly for the privilege.

1 year subscription (4 issues)
£90 (approximately $120) posted

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

Holy water is great for cleaning vinyl records, exorcises every last bit of sin from the divine grooves.

that's because Holy Water has reduced surface tension - lets you get down in the groove and boogie

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

Holy water is great for cleaning vinyl records, exorcises every last bit of sin from the divine grooves.

But is it safe to drink ? :D

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

that's because Holy Water has reduced surface tension - lets you get down in the groove and boogie

10 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Some magazines such as Hi Fi Critic are able to exist without advertising support, but subscribers pay dearly for the privilege.

1 year subscription (4 issues)
£90 (approximately $120) posted

Magazines once had a purpose but that all stopped when the Whole Earth Catalog stopped publishing. 

Peace be with you, my friend. Peace, love, dove. 

1 minute ago, SJK said:

Magazines once had a purpose but that all stopped when the Whole Earth Catalog stopped publishing. 

Peace be with you, my friend. Peace, love, dove. 

and really expensive shovels

Just now, Ralf11 said:

and really expensive shovels

Not in the early days. It was all Buckminster Fuller and fitting into the world, not trying to force the world into fitting you. 

Peace, my friend. Find peace and contentment within yourself. Be well.

And yes, in modern terms, have a great weekend.  

On 1/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, ARQuint said:

Chris has recommended for some time that people should enjoy whatever floats their boat, even if the purported theoretical basis doesn't satisfy the strictest objectivists. Even if you believe that MQA is a sham from a scientific standpoint and/or a cynical moneymaking ploy, I really think that the claims that it will ruin the consumer experience for the foreseeable future is a big overreach. 35 years ago, in some quarters, it was maintained that digital encoding was a catastrophe for sound-conscious music lovers, that there would be thousands of important performances that would be irretrievable because they were recorded digitally. It really didn't work out that way. When it comes to MQA, the marketplace will settle the issue, one way or another.

Since when has blatantly lying to consumers ever been OK? I only wish MQA had tried to make a push in Australia with their original marketing. They would have had their ass handed to them on a platter by Consumer Affairs. 

Digital, 35 years ago -- that was a fair call. I will never forget how bloody awful the DDD CDs were, such as Enya's Watermark. I don't think you can really compare digitisation of music, which can be freely and openly done, and innovated upon, with the closed, proprietary MQA system.  A better analogy would be MP3, encoding of which originally required a licence, and now no longer does.  Maybe once MQA becomes free and open.... (as if it would).

Regardless of that, if they'd stuck to the facts, and just started out with new, readily available recordings made entirely using the MQA chain, without the lossy compression, they might have gotten good attention as a "better" mastering system. They could have saved the compressed, "folded" version for TIDAL.  

23 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

a military expert,

I remember Anthony "Sonic Checklist" Cordesman well.  :) 

I disagreed with his review method, but I'm sure he was a nice fellow.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

I remember Anthony "Sonic Checklist" Cordesman well.  :) 

I disagreed with his review method, but I'm sure he was a nice fellow.

He's still with us!

1 minute ago, ARQuint said:

He's still with us!

Well that's a good thing.  ;) 

As you've read, I don't keep up any more, so I really spoke in the past tense in terms of my own awareness.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, ARQuint said:

Those who are measurement-oriented tend toward certain dogmatic subjective assumptions about the listening process (e.g. components that measure the same - using the numeric assumptions - sound the same) without being the least skeptical about their own assumptions."

Did Harry particularly have the late Julian Hirsch of Stereo Review in mind when he wrote the above passage? :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"- William Bruce Cameron