IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

29 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Getting this back in track. Project Panther Bidco’s strike off has been withdrawn. Maybe financials will soon be available.

At the Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society gala last Sunday I talked with a Meridian dealer. He was/is a big enough dealer to have one year won a car, a Mini. He said he told the Meridian folks that compression didn’t have a place in high end audio.

Besides Tidal, any large streaming services using MQA?

In their financial posting, MQA Ltd stated that they were still a "Going Concern" because they expected to receive further financing by the end of November.  Any word on the further financing?  Is this something they would have to disclose?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

At the Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society gala last Sunday I talked with a Meridian dealer. He was/is a big enough dealer to have one year won a car, a Mini. He said he told the Meridian folks that compression didn’t have a place in high end audio.

My recent adventures at a dealer in your neck of the woods mentioned that they weren't too confident in Meridian staying in business  much longer (take it with a grain of salt).  They wouldn't elaborate but unlike a Porsche 911 which looks much the same every new release but still refines itself with technology and mechanical prowess, Meridian has become very stagnate with there current lineup, only adding bespoke color offerings for their equipment.  

BTW how is Meridian doing financially these days?  They still have that car market in Land Rovers and Jaguars right?

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

11 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Besides Tidal, any large streaming services using MQA?

In their financial posting, MQA Ltd stated that they were still a "Going Concern" because they expected to receive further financing by the end of November.  Any word on the further financing?  Is this something they would have to disclose?

Well, Tidal is a small service so no. The only other streaming service using MQA is a Chinese service that none of the Chinese National Speed Skating Team uses. The last people from the mainland I've been around.

I've haven't heard anything about MQA funding but the reporting requirements have a lag time.

3 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Well, Tidal is a small service so no. The only other streaming service using MQA is a Chinese service that none of the Chinese National Speed Skating Team uses. The last people from the mainland I've been around.

I've haven't heard anything about MQA funding but the reporting requirements have a lag time.

I don't think the Chinese people "choose" anything.  It is chosen for them.  I cannot see the Chinese paying anyone for a proprietary system.  They will pirate it or clone it if it is useful to them.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

3 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I don't think the Chinese people "choose" anything.  It is chosen for them.  I cannot see the Chinese paying anyone for a proprietary system.  They will pirate it or clone it if it is useful to them.

I would think they could have their choice of which music streaming service they listen to. 

I saw an article about MQA from a year or two ago.  It stated that one of the benefits for the consumer was it saved space.  I then saw an add for a fourteen Terabyte drive.   I made a rough calculation and came up with the figure that you could store nine months worth of 24/96 uncompressed WAV on this disc.  If you listened to music for your entire waking time you would be forced to listen to music that you heard a year earlier.

It all reminds me that I have a five megabyte winchester drive stored away on a shelf. it is the size of a small appliance.  I thought the twenty meg drive in my 286 was huge.  I remember buying a one Gig 5 1/4" drive for $500.

All this is to say that compression for the consumer is inconsequential.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

7 hours ago, FredericV said:

The compression benefit of MQA in a world which no longer needs MP3, and which does not have an actual channel and storage capacity issue, does not need a proprietary crypto DRM audio solution with 17/96 of internal resolution + upsampling and fake resolution indication, when the bandwdith for the real thing is here ;)

MQA is already taking steps to address this. I bought a 2.5GB download from 7digital two days ago and the transfer took 3 hours 8 minutes.

13 minutes ago, Daccord said:

MQA is already taking steps to address this. I bought a 2.5GB download from 7digital two days ago and the transfer took 3 hours 8 minutes.

The cool thing about purchasing downloads is you only have to download it once and go through the pain once. With MQA you have to go through the pain every time when streaming. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The cool thing about purchasing downloads is you only have to download it once and go through the pain once. With MQA you have to go through the pain every time when streaming. 

I bought the download because Tidal streaming was screwing up, as happens from time to time. My joke was that MQA must have a deal with 7digital to hobble download speeds. That not may be the real reason, but downloads from 7digital have been really slow for a while now.

5 hours ago, Daccord said:

I bought the download because Tidal streaming was screwing up, as happens from time to time. My joke was that MQA must have a deal with 7digital to hobble download speeds. That not may be the real reason, but downloads from 7digital have been really slow for a while now.

7digital is struggling to survive. They lost Onkyo Music about the same time they got additional capital.

@The Computer Audiophile why hasn’t this idiotic thread been closed  considering all the concern about demenor(?SIC)/civility etc let alone logic ? I mean who really gives a Rat’s Ass and who has the time to ponder and worry over ‘how many angels can sit on a head of a pin’?

Happy Holidays and New Year

I KNOW—bobb — don’t stick your nose where it doesn’t belong—sorry couldn’t resist or restrain myself

6 minutes ago, Archimago said:

What's so "idiotic" about this thread? What's so uncivil? What's so illogical? Isn't audiophilia already an obsessive pursuit and to most of the world a bunch of geek guys ruminating about angels on pins (eg. do I need $$$ cables, do I need hi-res, do I need those beautiful cable risers???)?

Perhaps you need to ask yourself what you have invested in this hobby (to MQA?) to think any of this is so disturbing as to not be able to resist yourself from such comments. Not everyone will like reading about the truth. And expressing dissent is not uncivil or some kind of treachery.

You have to be kidding right?  You of all people have not really bought into the KoolAid of this thread have you?  

I have been trying not to post or say anything, to avoid becoming irritated, but you really disappoint me.  The science in the thread is great. The personalities in this thread are ruining the whole audiophile world, and driving people away. (shrug). 

Believe what you will, ,have a great and Merry Christmas anyway!

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein